Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching between chords

Options
  • 04-07-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me??

I began learning how to play guitar a week and a half ago, quite enjoying it. Anyway, I have learnt and memorized the 7 basic chords and now I think it's time to play an actual song. The problem is that in switch between chords fast enough. My fingers go all over the place when I try :o

Does anyone have tips to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Practice really is the only solution. Spend 15 minutes each day switching between random chords, and soon you'll have no problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well all i'll say is to take your time, play the songs at a slower tempo so you can keep up with the changes. Your fingers will get used to the chord shapes and you'll get faster. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Well all i'll say is to take your time, play the songs at a slower tempo so you can keep up with the changes. Your fingers will get used to the chord shapes and you'll get faster. Best of luck!

Great advice here. Start slowley and gradually build up your speed. Give your fingers a chance to get used to what you want them to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 guitarsongs

creggy wrote: »
    Can anyone help me??

I began learning how to play guitar a week and a half ago, quite enjoying it. Anyway, I have learnt and memorized the 7 basic chords and now I think it's time to play an actual song. The problem is that in switch between chords fast enough. My fingers go all over the place when I try :o

Does anyone have tips to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Creggy,

At this early stage of the learning process, there is a whole lot going on, particularly if you're anxious to get started singing and playing.

Your brain is still learning how to prepare your left hand ( assuming you play right-handed ) to hold down the strings required for each chord.

It's also focussed on maintaining the correct strum pattern for the song ( and possibly not dropping the plectrum! ).

What I always advise is to break it down to bite-size pieces.

Listen to the song you're learning to play. Mute the strings and practice getting the strum pattern right. Practice this for a while.

Now, listen to the song again. Don't strum or pick at all. Just concentrate on twisting your left hand quickly into the correct position, and landing it on the correct frets of the strings squarely ( i.e. with the knuckles raised so your fingers are pressing down on the strings, rather than at an angle ).

Practice doing this while keeping pace with the song. When you're happy with this, add in one strum for each chord.

Build up eventually until you can either play along with the song, or play it by yourself comfortably, without any pauses for chord changes, and with the strings ringing truly. And again, cliche'd though it is, practice. Then practice some more.

When you're really happy that you have it down, then try humming along while you play. Ok, a bit boring, but you can still be concentrating on your playing, rather than remembering the lyrics.

And lastly, sing your little heart out!

I know that you are anxious to be singing songs. That's natural, and is the aim of most people taking up guitar. But one thing that is guaranteed to consign the guitar to the attic ( or worse, consign the remaining pieces of the guitar to the refuse bin ) is trying to do too much too soon. You will only succeed in becoming more frustrated with yourself.

If you pick a song with nice straightforward chords, this process won't take as long as you might think.

Just my EUR0.02 worth.

PJ

P.S.
    I don't know if I'm allowed to mention that I have a bunch of free, easy-to-play songs on my site ( hover on my username, click visit homepage )... so I won't!! Seriously - mods, if that is taboo, please just moderate that bit out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

^ lol legend

But yeah Ive only been playing 3 days now and im sure the OP is further than me, but i find visualizing finger movements help.
    Unfortunately from what I've seen there are no magical techniques, just practice :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Thanks for your help people. I'll try all the different tips given here. I have being looking for slow tempo'd songs, I think Yellow Submarine by the Beatles seems good. So far I have just being going through the chords in cycles and then going backwards, It seems to be working as I'm getting slightly faster. Thanks for the help people :)

Oh PJ, don't worry, I bookmarked your site ages ago!

Advertisement