Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM not dispensing cash yet taking money from account!!

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Seeking advice..

I went to an Ulster Bank ATM approx 1 month ago to make a €100 withdrawal. The transaction went through but the ATM didn't dispense any money. I waited for a few mins but nothing came out. I went straight into Ulster Bank and spoke to a lady who confirmed that they had been having problems with the ATM and to check my account to see if money had been debited from my account (I'm with AIB). She said that even if it had, the money would probably be credited to my account the following morning as the ATM's balance themeslves at the end of every night.

I checked my account and €100 had been taken. Then the next day I checked again to see if it was back in my account and it wasn't. I went to my bank that day and filled out an ATM dispute form. They had to send my form/details to home branch and advised me that it could take more than a month to process.

Well I waited a over a month & contacted AIB. They have now sent me a letter which has left me fuming...

Ulster Bank have stated that the ATM was balanced for the period, all transactions were completed successfully with no errors appearing on internal reports & therefore will not make a refund.

Has this happened to anyone? Where do I go from here? I cannot accept that the bank can keep €100 of my money?

Any advice really welcome esp if someone has had this happen before and had a positive outcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Keep pushing the issue with them. Tell them you would like to escalate the issue and ask how you go about it.

Failing that wait for a better idea :(

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Maybe give these guys a call and see what they say. They may not be able to do anything, but would be best able to advise you on what your options are, and how to proceed from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ronnieboy

maybe you were stung by romainians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

This thread would be helpful - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56394241#post56394241

Start with the bank and write a complaint. Then take it to the financial ombudsman if you're not happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you do a large amount of business with the bank (mortgage, car loan etc) then would threathening to switch to a different provider be a viable option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hanley wrote: »
    If you do a large amount of business with the bank (mortgage, car loan etc) then would threathening to switch to a different provider be a viable option?

If there's anything more annoying it's this. I remember hearing a collegue of mine talk about a customer who had a current account, activated for credit interest. He said that he would move his accounts if the interest for the quarter was not added despite it being clear that you must meet certain criteria for same (not onerous TBH) which he failed to do. I'd say the amount involved was less than a fiver. Stupity personified :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mi-mi

Hi guys,

Thanks for your helpful comments. I'm still trying to get it sorted through my bank contacting Ulster Bank...no luck yet.

I think I'll have to try Random's suggestion if I exhaust the patient option - aggh I'm so non-confrontentational...gotta psych myself up!

I did notice that ATM had CCTV so this would back me up.

Cheers for suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Certainly ask for the complaint to be escalated and do everything in writing. Ask for a reference number for the query that was sent to Ulster Bank and then lodge the complaint with them (as it is ultimately there fault, not your bank's), quoting the CCTV footage.

Threatening to leave your bank will not be very productive, as they have clearly done nothing wrong and are merely the middle man in all this.

The financial regulator won't help you much here except give you the same advice that you have received here. If you feel you are getting nowhere with the official complaint procedure, talk to Joe (legend!). It's him who deals with individual disputes with financial services, not the regulator (who more deals with systemwide policies and regulations etc). Joe would take the issue to the regulator if he received a large number of complaints (telling the regulator - "hey, the number of people complaining about xy & z has increased dramatically - you need to tighten regulation in this area etc).

Advertisement