Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Chungs

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Anybody eaten in this place yet??

It looks like it could be lovely, but am just wondering what the food/atmosphere is like? Is everything all you can eat? Can you go to the Buffet as many times as you like?? Do they look at you weird if you just eat starters and desserts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Never heard of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Never heard of it..

It's been very heavily advertised on the radio recently...guy with a Scottish accent doing the voice over...

To the OP, haven't been there. Says on their website that it's all you can eat for a fixed price so I assume that's the way it is for everything. I'm sure they won't even be paying attention to whether you're just having starters and desserts, but out of interest, why wouldn't you have a main course as well??

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

I ususally just prefer starters and desserts!!!I don't know why, I think it's because they are little tastes of things, as opposed to the same thing, if you catch my drift!

IrlIrishKev, its a new place just off O'Connell Street, before you get to Eden Quay (possibly still Eden Quay), behind the 128 bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭VB

did you try it yet daisy123?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

havent been there yet but the all you can eat on middle abbey street is very nice, however the charge if you leave certain amounts of food uneaten

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm just back from there now. I've been there a few times and today was the busiest I've seen yet (which is a good sign). They've an upstairs and a downstairs and both were pretty full when we arrived in.

I don't think they look at you weird if you go up and down to different sections. It's about €11 for as much as you can eat (Mon - Thurs days, it's more outside of those hours). I don't think theyd care if all you eat is one type of course (and who cares if they do). They're busy. They pay reasonable attention to you but not enough to make you uncomfortable.

Edit: And the foods actually nice too.

No, haven't been yet, but Mick O'Neill's review there has made me wanna go!!!!! Might give it a try next week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh my god! They have these in Edinburgh! Food is lovely!

Ooooooo, so excited now!!! I will try get there next week and give you all a review here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Walk past it every day, looks good.

I think it might get a testing this weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Bin to the one in Aberdeen before, it's amazing for how cheap it is. Except it's piss easy to eat 3 dinner plates worth of starters without realising you're still gonna want a main course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Is this the new place beside the Laughter Lounge? I've passed it a few times and it looks like a really nice place, have been meaning to check it out some time. Didn't know they do all you can eat though, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

orestes wrote: »
    Is this the new place beside the Laughter Lounge? I've passed it a few times and it looks like a really nice place, have been meaning to check it out some time. Didn't know they do all you can eat though, happy days!

Yes its beside laughter lounge. Looks good €11 i yhink all you can eat charge more after 5.30 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Ohhh, I saw this place the other day, I saw the buffet dishes out but it didn't click with me at the time that that's what it was. From what I've heard, it seems like a decent enough place...I must give it a try sometime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

Been in Jimmys twice now, good value, food is fine (better than Charlies fast food) Service is good. As for repeatedly going up for desserts etc... my friend had 5 trips!

Go easy on the starters though, leave room for mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tried it over the weekend with my GF, and while it was relatively cheap and wasn't horrible - I'm not sure if I'd rush back.

It kinda makes you want to eat *everything* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Been in twice- Once for lunch and once for dinner. The dinner (After 5pm) is pricey at 19.95, almost twice the price of the lunch. A couple of drinks on top of that and it's not cheap, guts of 30euro. Pint of coke is 4 euro.

Nice enough food. Starters include chicken skewers, duck with pancakes/hoi sin, etc, etc. Standard.

Desserts are a couple of different sponge cakes, self service carpigiani ice cream machine, chinese dumplings,

I'd go again for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Nicknax

Went in to Jimmys on Fridsy night with the BF. I had never been before so didnt really know what it was all about but I had a great evening.

We went in after 9pm so we had to pay the 22.90 price.

The starters are all laid out in one section and the names are above the food so you know whats what. I think I had taken a little bit of everything, I was excited that I could have a bit of everything ao I did!.

We enjoyed the starters and we were not rushed into getting the mains. Our glasses were never let get below half full (we got a bottle of wine) before someone was over topping it up.

We made our way around to the 2 mains sections and filled our plates again, there were different types of noodles, rice, curry sauce, chips and prawn crackers on one section and the other one had all the different dishes.

Again I sampled a little of most things and it was nice.

When it came to having desserts there is fruit, jellies and cream, there are fritters too(bananna and pinapple), gateau's and pies and then there is the ice cream machine.

I managed to get 2 desserts after all the other food i managed to scoff.!

It is a novelty using the ice cream machine but there is a nack to getting it in a neat swirl, like you would get in the shop.

Overall, I really enjoyed the evening and it was nice food. I prob wouldnt be going back very often but I would go back in the future.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dundeeedd

I have just fell on this thread by accident. Jimmy Chungs is Ace, I am from Dundee but have lived in Dublin for around 5 years. Chungs started off in Aberdeen and then branched out to other cities in Scotland. Me and all my mates used to go theere on Sundays for a hangover cure, eat all you can for £4.99 BARGAIN. When it first opened in Dundee they gave you a voucher for every person in your party, collect 5 vouchers and you ate for free, i was called voucher boy!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

dundeeedd wrote: »
    collect 5 vouchers and you ate for free, i was called voucher boy!!!!!!

They do that in the one in Dublin too so you can keep your nickname. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Would be a bargain at £4.99stg/€6.50 alright. I'd be in there twice a day.

But €22.90 (dinner price) + drinks for a self-service buffet, that may or may not have exactly what you want is way over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Finally, the concept of buffet and "all you can eat" is catching on in this country. For years I wondered if this idea would ever take off in Dublin. But the Korean BBQ restaurant is booming and it looks like this place will be popular too.

All we need now is an Indian restaurant to offer a good value buffet with a wide range of dishes. (I do know a few Indian buffets but they tend to be either pricey or limited in choice).

Still full from yesterdays Jimmy Chungs!! It wasn't the best meal I ever had, but considering I ate at about 3pm and was too full for dinner it is great value.

I wouldn't be going back very often, maybe once every few months or something. They do have those collect 5 vouchers have lunch for free things, that run out in November, so may make it back enough times for one free lunch.

I might try it for dinner one night during the week (not this week in particular) as they have extra duck etc on the menu apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have gone in for lunch 2 or 3 times now, The lunch time prices are €10.90 Mon-Thurs and €12.90 on Fridays. I think its fantastic value for lunch at them prices. Always gone back to work stuffed. Food is nice nothing like wow but it is nice and the ice cream machine :D

Advertisement