Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop & Computer linked to Broadband?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Might be in the wrong section as usual (sorry never know where to put post):o

Im trying to connect my new laptop (Acer Extensia 5220) to Broadband. The PC is connected to Broadband using a zyxel router. I thought id plug in an extra cabel at the back (blue usb one), currently using a yellow ethernet cable from router to PC, but it wont work. I don't want to go wireless as surley there must be a cheaper way!!

And thanks for helping.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to install the driver on the laptop in order to get the USB modem working. This should be on a CD that came with the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

jor el wrote: »
    You need to install the driver on the laptop in order to get the USB modem working. This should be on a CD that came with the modem.

Crickey, got to find that so.........hope its there somewhere!!!! Thanks, will give it a go.........tomorrow:)

mumof2 wrote: »
    Crickey, got to find that so.........hope its there somewhere!!!! Thanks, will give it a go.........tomorrow:)

Actually just gave a look in where I thought it would be and bingo!! Tried loading it, but unfortunately Laptop is Windows Vista and driver doesn't support that.

Where am I gonna get Windows XP safely and cheap??????:( Will google this as im curious now.............

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can't usually use USB and ethernet at the same time (depends what it is). Unless there are multiple ethernet sockets, it's not a router.

Ethernet is simplest route to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

USB is terrible for networking. With your router, I believe it will only work with either USB or ethernet, not both simultaneously. You need another ethernet cable (a patch one, not crossover). Should be able to pick one up fairly easily.

• Advertisement

Just did a test and both are now working off the one router!! One using the ethernet connection the other using the usb connection!!! Thanks everyone for yer help. It saved me a fortune as I was told it couldn't be done.:D

Ive managed to get both machines going using the one router: one is connected via ethernet and the other with usb. There arn't 2 ethernet sockets at the back of it unfortunately. Do you think i will have problems later on using usb as well as ethernet?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

yeah those routers only had 1 ethernet connection.

If ya have it working you shouldn't have any problems, but i would recommend wireless as life is so less restricting with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's maybe not a router.

If it's only a modem, not a router then meant to use Ethernet or USB really, it will not be reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement