Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musicals

Options
  • 04-07-2008 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Ok, I've never been one to be into musicals much or anything but recently I've been getting more into them...as a alternative type of performance really. I think there is a lot to be said for some of them (although there's only a few I like).

Just got RENT and listening to that a lot, and I've always had fantasies of filling a football stadium with people and getting 60,000 people to sing Bohemian Rhapsody etc but basically what I'm wondering is if anyone would be interested, or know anyone who would be interested in getting some form of collective together to work on big projects like this.

I'm not looking to get involved with a musical society and do the typical circuit stuff like My Fair Lady (nothing wrong with it though if that's your bag) but more get musicians, actors and singers together to work on projects.

Recently I heard a Nightwish version of Phantom of the Opera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SUSmedMm8) and would like to play around with songs like that and maybe end up with a performance night somewhere

Just throwing the idea out there to see what people think

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

redcrew wrote: »
    Recently I heard a Nightwish version of Phantom of the Opera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SUSmedMm8) and would like to play around with songs like that and maybe end up with a performance night somewhere
    It's like Xanadu for gothlings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

As I said Robbo I'm only getting into musicals now so not up to speed with everything... have heard Xanadu is good though so I must get onto it...

As I said it's the performance side of things that I'm most interested in, not just turning everything gothic, though there can be a certain charm, maybe a Halloween night performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Hmmmm how about Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street :eek:

would be perfect for halloween and has a certain charm to it too ;)

hey steve, definitely sweeney todd songs but as i understand getting rights for things like that is nigh on impossible if you aren't a major company (not sure how all this would be covered by amatuer rights)

the idea would be like a night of musical style songs with the focus on the performance of the songs - so for me songs like Bohemian Rhapsody would definitely be in there, some Michael Jackson songs too perhaps. I'm sure there's millions that could be possible. Alice Cooper - Poison! songs with a sense of theatricality...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Sounds like a lot of fun!

• Advertisement

would love to be able get it off the ground...could be a really exciting thing for the winter in Galway

Cool, me and a friend of mine are interested anyway, if ya do get around to setting this up let me know!:D

hey pasta-solo... in what way would you be interested? organisation? music? singing? other performance area? just so I have an idea of where I can go with it

Singing definitely, organisation maybe, if i had time and could fit it in. Would ya consider writing a musical? That could be cool/extremely difficult but fun?

Currently about to finish a writing project of a different kind but I will never undertake writing again!!

Also don't have talent to write a musical. I don't play an instrument either. Organisation and performance would be contribution.

• Advertisement

Cool, well i couldn't promise organisational help, I'd like to, but may not have time, other commitments etc. But performance, yeah, that I could prob manage.

I'm pretty busy too til the end of the year so not sure if I have it in me to pull it off this year but I thought about it and got so excited at the prospect. I'll bash the idea around with a few friends and see what we can come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Ayup,
    Good for you for taking an interest in musicals, but they're not exactly an alternative type of performance, for the size of the town there's a very well established musical circuit here. Alternative to what?
    Good god that youtube clip is fscking rank. If you want a good cover of that song check out Me First And The Gimme Gimmes.
    I'm not looking to get involved with a musical society and do the typical circuit stuff like My Fair Lady (nothing wrong with it though if that's your bag) but more get musicians, actors and singers together to work on projects.
    You're kind of contradicting yourself here? Getting actors, singers and musicians together on a project... most people would call that a musical. Are you looking to put forward a night of just songs from the musicals on a stage somewhere? Or something with a little more crowd interaction? To be honest you don't really give a lot of details, we could give better feedback with more info.
    Do you want people to suggest musicals, or songs, or what?

Regarding rights, IIRC you don't need to get them to just put on one or two songs from a show, but for the whole thing you do.

Oh, and if it is a Songs From The Musicals kind of deal, there are already a couple of societies that put on shows like this, so you'd be up against them for performance spaces and crowds, not to mention to pool of talent.

Ok I think my idea has been developing from the musical idea as I've gone on from writing the first post...

What it would be in my head at the moment is a gothic carnivalesque-style performance in somewhere like the Black Box (indoor) or Eyre Square (outdoor).

It would be almost parade style but with different types of performances, singing, dancing, street performers, fire breathers etc.... fast paced spectacles to enthrall an audience

Basically I'd be going for a big spectacle that would get Galway together similar to Macnas (who knows maybe the parade will sate my appetite?). Something worth talking about in an I-was-there way

Ah right. Well the first thing I'd say is definitely try to work it inside, there's no issues then with licences or insurance, the Black Box provide everything for a fee of I think it's seven hundred quid per night.
    You're going to need money and lots of it if you want to do something with a lot of colour that's visually entertaining.

Try talking to the city Arts officer.
    This seems like you're trying to bite off a lot at once and organise a big event, there are a lot of pitfalls here, so an experienced advisor would be a boon. Don't try to do it all yourself.

It's not something I would in anyway attempt on my own...I'd look to get maybe Roisin Dubh involved, or Macnas people. My friends and I have managed to get full scale show done in the Town Hall so I'm aware of a lot of what would be needed to work such a big project and would definitely talk to a lot of people with more experience before I went near trying to pull it off... that's one of the reasons I may wait til next year. I'm very busy organising my own stuff for the end of year

Good stuff, all the best with it. You should post in the theatre and performing arts forum too.

done that already...no reaction as yet...don't think there are many people that read there tbh....as I said might have to shelf the plan for a while...but maybe get bases covered for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

hi! you say theres already a musical circuit established? is there a musical society in the city because im having awful difficulty finding one....can you point me in the right direction...? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 facetheball

We did My fair Lady last year in Dunmore. Ollie Turner was mighty as Mr Higgins. Thought I wouldnt enjoy nit but twas great fun backstage

• Advertisement

THere's GMS, Encore, PMS, Renmore Panto, GUMS, Twin Productions, and that's only in the city. THere are loads in outside the city.
    Check aims.ie for contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

PMS usually do a show in late feb; they audition before christmas some time; always worth watching the local press for adverts.

GMS do a show in April, they usually hold open auditions in February, again watch local press.

Encore are doing a show in November- Westside story- auditions were last week, but they may consider you still, pm me if you want details of who to contact.

Renmore panto hold their show in January, auditions usually in november, again watch local press.

Loughrea are doing Oliver this year and their auditions will be soon enough, prob best to watch the aims website for more info.

Ballinrobe also do a show around march; watch the aims website for audition info also.

Very healthy circuit in galway and its good craic!!

Advertisement