Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Eircom to UPC is it wise

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Everybody pays for tv anyway so I didn't mention it. It's 44e amonth for digital tv, phone line and 3 meg bb, compare that to eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

nuxxx wrote: »
    People seem to be writing off dsl alot
    Well good for you if you can and live in a town/city thats supposed by cable.

But for the _MAJORITY_ were gona be stuck on either poor dsl, wireless or mobile broadband for the foreseeable future, me included (eircon)

Its not a arguement as to which is better its an arguement over what you can get.

You make a good point. In fact, UPC have rolled out digital tv in some areas without rolling out broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i can get TV from ntl , but i assume its sallellite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

NTL don't do satellite services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Everybody pays for tv anyway so I didn't mention it. It's 44e amonth for digital tv, phone line and 3 meg bb, compare that to eircom.

Not necessarily. I'd probably go FTA if I could. Though these days I'd keep UPC for BB :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

paulm17781 wrote: »
    But with UPC (ntl) you also need TV so it is fair to say the "rental" is more like 30 (is that what they charge now?) with TV or 6 without. Either way, I think in this country cable is and always has been the better product.
    ya dont need the tv aswell with upc

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Upc have done away with the need to take their TV services from them to receive either the BB or phone service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Upc have done away with the need to take their TV services from them to receive either the BB or phone service.

Yip, I pay 46 euros a month for my 20MB broadband and use Sky for my TV. I got rid of the land line as soon as I could get broadband on UPC. :D

Its funny how alot of people point out the fact (incorrectly) that you have to have their TV service to have broadband when in fact you don't. The simple fact is you have to pay eircom line rental even if you don't want to use the telephone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It's sooo tempting to change over to UPC from BT...

I just upgraded my BB to 3mb so I believe I'm contracted to them for another 12 months :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Well hopefully get my 20MB installed tomorrow and will update you on how it feels moving from 3MB with Eircom to 20 MB with UPC, I hope for my sake it would be a Wow comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

i'm totally torn aswell.. my dad needs the broadband for work, but going from what people are saying on here it seems chorus or even upc have sorted out the problems they had before, it just has such a bad rep from the last couple of years..
    we already have didgital through upc so i think it work out a lot cheaper if we get the bb and phone in aswell.. we have the 3mb line at the minute must find a bill to compare the costs.. eircom has been brilliant since we've had them and thats been a long time since the first internet to isdn and now bb we never had a problem but i think upc are leaving them behind at the moment..we were changing a few months ago but then eircom announced the upgrade so i told my dad to hold off but i think with these delays its time to move on from eircom...
    actually a question, if you change phone from eircom to upc you can keep the same number, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

But you have to pay an extra 6 if you don't take the TV. Either way, you can't just get the BB for 40, it would be 46 or 60 (with TV subscription).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'd rather pay €6 than €25 line rental for a phone I don't want.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    But you have to pay an extra 6 if you don't take the TV. Either way, you can't just get the BB for 40, it would be 46 or 60 (with TV subscription).

Point taken, but who else can offer you 20mg BB for €46.
    The reason it keeps been referred to as €40 is because a high percentage of UPC customers already avail of their TV service, whether its analogue or digital.

As has been pointed out here already, you must pay €25p/m to avail of a phone line to enable you to get dsl bb, so isnt it alot wiser to avail of UPC's offer of €6p/m to receive their BB products.

Sure if you were happy to take the 10mb package you you be getting an incredible deal for €36p/m

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im in the same boat as to whether to change to UPC or not.

Currently paying Eircon €61.00 pm for just phone and 2 mb broadband on there "anytime" package and thats before calls.

UPC have offered me 10mb BB and phone for €44.00 per month.

Seems like a no-brainer to be honest.

One of my main concerns is that its too good to be true and hopefully theres no blocked ports/throttling going on in my area (Maynooth)

Last time I had Chorus in Celbridge I logged over 300 calls in one year with them due to their sh!t service--I literally had no TV service for weeks at a time and got the usual that "its being worked on" or "it`ll be back in a couple of hours" etc etc.

Im nervous about going with them again for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Well I moved form UTV to UPC.

Im on a DL 10M UL 1M and NO CAP!!!

No problems at all. Tech support is great. Never notice a drop in speed. I work from home so UL is important.

100% happy with the change over.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im in the same boat as to whether to change to UPC or not.

Currently paying Eircon €61.00 pm for just phone and 2 mb broadband on there "anytime" package and thats before calls.

UPC have offered me 10mb BB and phone for €44.00 per month.

Seems like a no-brainer to be honest.

One of my main concerns is that its too good to be true and hopefully theres no blocked ports/throttling going on in my area (Maynooth)

Last time I had Chorus in Celbridge I logged over 300 calls in one year with them due to their sh!t service--I literally had no TV service for weeks at a time and got the usual that "its being worked on" or "it`ll be back in a couple of hours" etc etc.

Im nervous about going with them again for anything.

No ports blocked and they only throttle upload on torrents max upload I get is 35-55kbs although my downloads max out my 10mb connection!There customer support has improved a lot to,don't get me wrong you get the odd lemon but for the most part there very good,been with them for broadband for about 2-3 years and only had 3 or 4 disconnects in that time and it was always resolved in an hour.I don't have their phone service but if the rest of their products are to go by i'm sure it would be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i wont be around much till september. will probably change to upc then from bt, barring a major speed hike! also it will allow a bit of time for people to properly use the service so hopefully any kinks will be ironed out ;-)

kamin99 wrote: »
    Well hopefully get my 20MB installed tomorrow and will update you on how it feels moving from 3MB with Eircom to 20 MB with UPC, I hope for my sake it would be a Wow comparison

Well UPC missed things for me and said due to a glitch in the system i was not on the list for installation today ,so hopefully tomorrow morning will update and compare then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

One more stupid question---Will Sky work with UPC`s phone service.Have 3 boxes in total and dont feel like rewiring the whole house after the upc install?

One more stupid question---Will Sky work with UPC`s phone service.Have 3 boxes in total and dont feel like rewiring the whole house after the upc install?

Well what I did was, I ran a new telphone cable from the upc modem back to where all my existing telephone points ran from, which in my case was the outside box on the side of the house. I joined them all up there and all existing phone points were then active again.

Well what I did was, I ran a new telphone cable from the upc modem back to where all my existing telephone points ran from, which in my case was the outside box on the side of the house. I joined them all up there and all existing phone points were then active again.

Thanks for that Aquos
    Didnt know the UPC equipment worked with ordinary phones/phone points.Thats an easy enough solution.

Your phones will work alright but your sky boxes won't work over voip lines. Not that it matters as your sky boxes have already been activated.

I couldn't get my Sky HD box to activate over the voip line but got sky to activate for me by satellite :D

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Your phones will work alright but your sky boxes won't work over voip lines. Not that it matters as your sky boxes have already been activated.

I couldn't get my Sky HD box to activate over the voip line but got sky to activate for me by satellite :D

How are sky with that though??If I even leave the phoneline out of a box for a couple of days I get a letter asking to do a "callback"
    Not sure theyd be happy if it was a permanent thing.

How are sky with that though??If I even leave the phoneline out of a box for a couple of days I get a letter asking to do a "callback"
    Not sure theyd be happy if it was a permanent thing.

When I was talking to sky I played dumb and never told them I had it hooked up to a voip line. They should have been able to tell that my sky box was calling them the problem came when they then make the callback which wouldn't work through the voip line, it just can't handle the modem signal.
    They then told me that they were having some problems activating sky boxes over the phone line in Ireland.

How long have you been with sky? Do you have sky+?

Dont have sky+
    Have 3 boxes in total-First 2 Ive had for about 2 years--Only signed up for the second mulitroom box in May so Im stuck in a 12 month contract for that one(I think)

Rang Sky at lunchtime though and they say that once the box can call them back its fine to use a VOIP based phone with it.It may effect some services though.

Only signed up for the second mulitroom box in May so Im stuck in a 12 month contract for that one

That's unfortunate because once your 12 months are up you can unplug your phone line.
    Rang Sky at lunchtime though and they say that once the box can call them back its fine to use a VOIP based phone with it.It may effect some services though.

Sky don't mind if you use tin cans and a piece of string to make the callback as long as it can be done. This is to prove that the multiroom box is located in your house and you haven't given it to a friend.

Some people have been able to make callbacks on VOIP but I haven't. I use blueface for my voip calls and not UPC. You would probably be better off starting a new thread about this as I'm sure your not the only one who is interested to know this and maybe some one could run a test for you.

I would do this but my voip is with blueface and not UPC.

kamin99 wrote: »

ok i have UPC 20MB and it is crab i can only get max 10mb and when i called them they said wait till tomorrow pm it may pick up speed! what the hick
    setting up the wirless was painfull if you decide to look into it
    I'm contemplating cancelling it already

• Advertisement

These problems that people are having must be congestion issues in certain areas. Each time i do a sppedtest my speeds are always around the 10mg. Thats the package which I am on

broadbandspeed2.jpg

Advertisement