Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship [in the Shooting forum]

Options
  • 05-07-2008 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Censorship that my popular thread (8 pages) [horrendus or humane] was locked after 1 or 2 requests. boards going downhill........
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Moving to Feedback where it belongs. (Feedback mods, feel free to boot it on elsewhere (just not back to Shooting))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Censorship, now come on. It went for 8 pages without being closed. A bit dramatic aren't you? Did you contact one of the moderators before starting the thread?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The thread in question: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055324399

If the OP contacted a mod, it wasn't me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nor me. So the mod who closed it (and frankly, thank feck for that, that thread was starting to resemble a stuck record) wasn't contacted and neither was the most active mod on the thread; one mod is off in Lithuania right now but called in this evening and hadn't heard anything; haven't heard from the last mod.

And frankly, a thread on bow-hunting would have been lucky to survive at all, let alone run to eight pages. Bow hunting is illegal in Ireland and we've had arguments in shooting and in archery on this point with another poster in the past. But this thread wasn't just bow-hunting, it was bow-hunting with a "Gobbler Guillotine", an arrow for decapitating turkeys.

So, to recap. Censorship on boards is now being defined as an eight-page discussion with mod participation, on an exceptionally graphic act that is illegal in Ireland. Oh, and there was video footage as well.

Exactly what would boards uncensored look like? Would your computer start to bleed from its USB ports while you read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Why would anyone want to behead a turkey?
    I did it once (accidently) and it wasn't a pretty sight. It also makes them inedible because all the blood gushes out and takes the good taste with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

elgriff wrote: »
    boards going downhill........
    To sanity town, straight down from headintheclouds land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Elgrif to be fair to the mods it wasn't against you. Your thread was hi-jacked by another who whinged worse than a woman :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Terry wrote: »
    I did it once (accidently)

Maybe I'm just a sicko, but I'd imagine I'm not the only one who love to hear the gory details of this "alleged" accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

elgriff wrote: »
    Censorship that my popular thread (8 pages) [horrendus or humane] was locked after 1 or 2 requests. boards going downhill........
    i reported the post at post 35 :eek: at that stage personal abuse and
    a fight on the way and what all hell broke out steve:(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

For a site that is routinely warned of "going downhill"... we've done awfully well. :rolleyes:

Perhaps its a long hill.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Terry wrote: »
    I did it once (accidently) and it wasn't a pretty sight. It also makes them inedible because all the blood gushes out and takes the good taste with it.

On cable TV here in Florida: you have Animal Planet on 23, and on 24 you have the Hunting Channel, which for most of the day comprises of people shooting turkey all day. Then you have Nickelodeon on 28.

They won't show boobs but I can teach my kids how to snipe a turkey from 40 yards away in the middle of the Afternoon.

/off-topic

Anyway the thread was locked: I find the definition of censorship to mean, you know, deletion, and cover-ups. Thats what they do on the PULSE website. *shudder*. You usually have to post something really derogatory or illegal here before it gets removed.

Advertisement