Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoplifting

Options
  • 05-07-2008 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey..can't believe wat i saw the other day in Debenhams. I heard a teenage girl telling her friend she was gona try a bra on and steal it by wearing it out of the store. I couldn't believe what i was hearing!
    I don't know if she followed through with this but is it me or shoplifters getting bolder? its a disgrace. I wonder also with the recession coming will prices go up and will shoplifting be on the rise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Did you report it to a member of staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

I mentioned it to a store clerk so what happened after that i don't know! surely there must be a way to prevent this but as there aren't cameras in the changing rooms its probably difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well most dept stores have security staff,tags on clothes and all staff are told to watch out for suspicious customers.But if someone gets it in their head they want to steal theres not much can be done about that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cross post - shoplifting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Department stores get fleeced, especially the one I work in, which has neither tags at the fitting rooms OR security barriers. Has a lot of CCTV and security staff though, but it still lost €10M last year. This includes stock mistakes, but a large proportion is still shoplifting. Most days, there'll be shoplifters in a room in the staff quarters with security, waiting for the guards to arrive. Most are junkies or children, usually robbing from grocery. We're not allowed apprehend shoplifters/suspected shoplifters. We're supposed to alert security discreetly...the only way is to have them paged!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

jillyb wrote: »
    Hey..can't believe wat i saw the other day in Debenhams. I heard a teenage girl telling her friend she was gona try a bra on and steal it by wearing it out of the store. I couldn't believe what i was hearing!
    I don't know if she followed through with this but is it me or shoplifters getting bolder? its a disgrace. I wonder also with the recession coming will prices go up and will shoplifting be on the rise.

Just like what Del Boy said in Only Fools And Horses said, "Crime is a growth industry" Maybe they are getting bolder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RFID tags are designed to stop idiots like this swiping stuff from changing rooms and I am surprised Debenhams did not have these fitted to bras. THese tags are getting smaller and will eventually be almost impossible to detect on all clothes etc. The current ones are bulky and are generally not fitted to stuff under e10 and are physically removed and disarmed at checkout (exept for the ones fitted to cd's and dvd's.)

As the price of this technology drops and the chips get smaller they will replace the barcode on everything including food etc. Advantage is that they can detect stuff walking out of supermarkets even if hidden by triggering off alarms. Barcodes are useless against theft. Notice all supermarkets like Tesco and Dunnes are now fitting portal scanners and disguising them with advertisements so as they fit in more discretly.

NoTags-captions-s3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jillyb wrote: »
    From The Simpsons: "The security men who are watching the monitors spot a little girl putting on socks. 'Those aren't the socks she came in with!' Armed with high-powered rifles, they head out."

It's been done a thousand times, and will happen until they can no longer do it, due to tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Lingerie is very easy to steal if checks aren't done in the fitting room and at the till. (Matching barcode with tag on bra, etc.) I've witnessed people of all ages trying to steal bras by putting them up their coat sleeves, swapping boxes and hangers. One lady, who was so well dressed and well spoken that unfortunately she wouldn't have been suspected as being a shoplifter, tried on a 9 euro bra and I put it back in the box for in the fitting room. By the time she got to the till I had swapped over and was serving her again. I checked the box again (store policy) and she had put a 27 euro bra in it. Needless to say she didn't want it after that.

Point being this happens all the time, and all sorts of people do it. It is easily prevented by doing checks in the fitting room but there are always ways around it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

janeybabe wrote: »
    Lingerie is very easy to steal if checks aren't done in the fitting room and at the till. (Matching barcode with tag on bra, etc.) I've witnessed people of all ages trying to steal bras by putting them up their coat sleeves, swapping boxes and hangers. One lady, who was so well dressed and well spoken that unfortunately she wouldn't have been suspected as being a shoplifter, tried on a 9 euro bra and I put it back in the box for in the fitting room. By the time she got to the till I had swapped over and was serving her again. I checked the box again (store policy) and she had put a 27 euro bra in it. Needless to say she didn't want it after that.

Point being this happens all the time, and all sorts of people do it. It is easily prevented by doing checks in the fitting room but there are always ways around it.
    Tag swapping is an one of the oldest tricks of the book and goes back decades,. Supermarkets used to get around this by splitting up the price sticker on tags so it would be noticed if it was altered or removed.

The new generation RFID tags are sewn into the seams of the garments out of sight permanently. This is causing already concern among privacy issue groups as they are permanently switched on and can transmit a signal long after you have purchased the garment

Advertisement