Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspapers and Political Parties

Options
  • 05-07-2008 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Had a discussion not too many hours ago about this and i thought i'd post to hear your views and/or opinions ...

What newspapers out their are pro-various political parties and which are just completely anti, for whatever reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

do you mean in this country

none are openly pro any party , its not like in the uk where most newspapers make no bones about which party they support

mail = conservatives
    mirror = labour etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The story so far...............

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055323659

The only publication that I can think of is The Phoenix mag, but they seem to have a go at whichever political party/coalition happens to be in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Irish Times pre-independence was a Unionist establishment paper and simply became establishment post-independence with a small "u" unionist. Historicly, the Irish Press was an integral mouth piece of Fianna Fail and the Irish Independent leaned towards Fine Gael.

The Press disappeared and the Indo famously said "Vote Bertie" in 1997, while the IT now has a (New) Labour Party lean.

The Sunday Business Post has had a strong Republican lean.

Local papers will obviously have a pro-local lean that straddles the fences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The daily Independent and the Sunday Indo especially were pro FF pre election. They have since turned on them since the recession word became mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

irish_bob wrote: »
    do you mean in this country

none are openly pro any party , its not like in the uk where most newspapers make no bones about which party they support

mail = conservatives
    mirror = labour etc

yeah here in Ireland ... I was wondering were their any die-hard FF or FG newspapers out there that would spin whatever the headlines happen to be into a positive for the political party

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

The Mail = "Sinn Féin cause Global Warming/Are Hiding Maddie McCann/Gave Bin Laden a truck full of Money.... etc.
    There's actually an old rebel tune called 'The Man From The Daily Mail',which is one of the more decent ones (not that its a great genre lets be honest) This applies to most of the UK papers. Euroskeptics to the core too.

The Irish Times= Remember Madam Editor did some time in the PDs. Very Brussels friendly paper. That would explain their reasoning in telling us we're all "mad" for voting no :rolleyes:

Irish News= Northern paper, one of the best papers in Ireland with regards sports in particular, moderate nationalist paper. Would lean to SDLP/SF.

The Indo= pro Fianna Fail. Herald is the same. A certain journalist even ended up being a Senator.

Sunday Tribune= Liberal paper. Quite fond of Labour.

Sunday World= "F The Provos" "F the Government as well"

Then you've got the freebies, which take a populist enough approach to everything. "What does the ordinary bloke on the LUAS want to read tomorrow morning" stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

cheers for the replies ... it certainly breaks it down ... few there i honestly was not aware of, in terms of their support

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoinmadden

Victor wrote: »
    Local papers will obviously have a pro-local lean that straddles the fences.
    Local papers are often more biased toward certain local personalities/political families than the national papers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PrivateEye wrote: »

Sunday Tribune= Liberal paper. Quite fond of Labour.

And not very good in my view and it has Tom McGuirk, their answer to the Indo's Kevin Myers. :D

Advertisement