Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to fishing (help needed)

Options
  • 05-07-2008 6:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

hi all, i live in the city centre in dublin and im new to fishing, just bought a teliscopic rod with some metal spinners, lure's and little plastic fish with 3xhooks in them.
    i was looking around the fourm for some hints on were to start to fish and what to use as bait??

by what i read it looks like i'll need rag worms, and Bray, Dun Loairghie or howth seem to be the easy to get to!! but do i need to get some kind of permit to fish or can i just have a go(as they say*) and if i need a permit where can i get one??

thank you for any help in advance

*i dont actully know who (THEY) are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

hi all, i live in the city centre in dublin and im new to fishing, just bought a teliscopic rod with some metal spinners, lure's and little plastic fish with 3xhooks in them.
    i was looking around the fourm for some hints on were to start to fish and what to use as bait??

by what i read it looks like i'll need rag worms, and Bray, Dun Loairghie or howth seem to be the easy to get to!! but do i need to get some kind of permit to fish or can i just have a go(as they say*) and if i need a permit where can i get one??

thank you for any help in advance

*i dont actully know who (THEY) are

Ok ill pass on what little knowledge i have. Most people on this forum like to use either feathers, spinners or dead bait when fishing. Feathers are good at the moment for mackerel. You dont need a permit to sea fish.
    Hope this helps and is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

yes the above is correct, ragworm makes a great bait for plaice and bass from a beach. Peeler crab is the best bait by far. If you want to get bait and advice for you local area you should visit you local tackle and they should be able to tell whats working the best and where the fish are at this moment in the year, if you have any other questions just ask one of us friendly folks on boards.ie.
    Tight Lines

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

rag worm and peeler crab are probably the best baits for the east coast, but squid sandeel and mackerel are very underrated that side of the country.

and if you are targeting bass, be sure to familiarise your self with the law surrounding the catching of bass..

Bass By-Laws:
    * A bag limit of 2 bass per angler in any one 24hr period.
    * An overall size limit of 40cm (tip of snout to end of tail), where all smaller fish are returned alive.
    * A closed season from 15 May to 15 June.
    * Sale or offer for sale of bass (other than bass which has been imported into the State) prohibited.

there are serious consequences if you are found in breach of the by-law

there is also a run of smoothound at the moment, they sure will provide excitement to anyone starting off, peeler and rag again for those.

as previously said, there is no permit required to fish the sea, but common sense prevails, i.e. dont fish on a beach that is full of swimmers etc etc

and always let someone know where you are going and roughly how long you'll be gone, safety is paramount.

happy fishing and let us know how you get on ;)

Also another little tip, use bait elastic when you are using peeler crab because the crab wont stay on the hook when it is casted or wont stay on when the small fish or other crabs are at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

ok this sounds great, just what i wanna hear

so i can go to any quiet beach (not hard with the weather we have:D)and just have a go. i dont intend to keep/kill anything that i catch so the by-laws should not be a problem!
    the next step is to pay the fishing shop in temple bar a visit for bait and off i go!!!!!!!

thanks for the help

• Advertisement

No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

I thought one needed a permit to catch sea trout? Sorry for confusion I'm new too! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭allybhoy

The main advice Budda I would give you is to just try it and see if enjoy it. Fishing isnt for everyone but if you do enjoy it and find yourself getting addicted then why not have a look at joining a fishing club. There are a few around dublin, they are always open to new members and are relatively inexepensive to join. Also there are plenty of irish websites to tell you what to catch in what areas, what bait\rigs to use etc. I personally reccomend linky

Have fun!

I thought one needed a permit to catch sea trout? Sorry for confusion I'm new too! :(
    your right there, but that's only if you intend targeting sea trout,
    i myself don't have a licence to catch them, because they are a fish i dont target, however, it doesn't mean that a sea trout wont take a bait, which they have on a couple of occasions, but a quick photo and quicker release is all it takes. ;) getting caught with a fish in your possession with out a licence usually ends up with your tackle being confiscated and a heavy fine, its not worth the risk (especially as my tackle will never be found in the cheap market:eek:)

well im back after a long day and i really injoyed it, the sun came out and everything made for a great day!!

didnt catch any thing :rolleyes::Dbut was with a friend and had a good old chin wag.
    Question : What do you do with the bait thats left over?? i figure that if the fish eat it its ok to throw into the sea, yeah??

• Advertisement

ya thats ok to do, but if its something like peeler crab I would keep them and freeze although you have to know the proper process in which to do so, its easy enough. What bait were you using?

i got 1/2 a jar of pink maggoty things not too sure:confused:what they were, in rorys he said it was good for most kinds and would give us a better chance. it was funny trying to put them on the hook as i ended up hooking me instead,:D

well if it was maggots you wont catch anythin using them.

here's a list of baits for sea fishing

mackerel
    herring
    sardine
    squid
    razorfish
    clam
    mussle
    limpets
    herrmit crab
    peeler crab
    rag worm
    lug worm (blow lug, black lug)
    white rag worm
    maddies
    sandeel
    launce
    blueys (aka atlantic saury)
    shrimp
    prawns

i think that covers the main majority of sea baits..

certain species can be taken on bread, earthworms, sweetcorn and silver eel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

maggots are great for for most fish just not in sea.ya should try corkagh park fishery great place and the 69 bus will drop you 1 min walk away

i found that out the hard way i should have really said i was going sea fishing. i never thought of saying so while i was in the shop.anyway im heading off for round two today with some frozen crab and rag worm:Dhopefully something will bite this time!!!!:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The maggots will work in brackish water for mullet, eels, seatrout, slob trout, flounders, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

hi der little buda, if ye go by da bates stevecrow listed u cant go wrong. the only thing is different bates 4 different types of sea fishing.

ive found www.sea-angling-ireland.org a very helpfull site.
    youll need 2 join community forum and all da ppl der will bend over backwards 2 help a newbie,

cheers wayne:D

if your fishing from a pier use a 1-2oz lead and a size 1 - 4 hook baited with either mackerel or rag worm ( small pieces that just cover the hook )
    you'll be surprised by the amount of species you can pick up off the end of the pier.
    here's a few to look out for,

corkwing wrasse
    ballan wrasse
    shanny
    tompot blenny
    shore rockling
    3beardded rockling
    pollock
    coalfish
    conger

and thats to list just a few.. happy hunting ;)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

hey stevecrow 74 u got a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sai_saltydog

Don't forget the hardback crabs aka crispies very good for wrasse will catch bass too ;)

Advertisement