Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actual BB speeds

Options
  • 05-07-2008 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    I'm wondering about upgrading my broadband connection. I've currently 1Mb from ntl. It's fine but really need to go higher. When I'm downloading the rate appears to peak at about 120-130kbs. Is this normal? If I upgraded to say 20Mb, would I get rates of x20 this? Or does it all depend on what website I'm using? Is 120-130 Kbs normal for this kind of 1Mb connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

On 20Mb Broadband you would get speeds of around 2.4-2.5 MegaBYTEs

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

smyth1979 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm wondering about upgrading my broadband connection. I've currently 1Mb from ntl. It's fine but really need to go higher. When I'm downloading the rate appears to peak at about 120-130kbs. Is this normal? If I upgraded to say 20Mb, would I get rates of x20 this? Or does it all depend on what website I'm using? Is 120-130 Kbs normal for this kind of 1Mb connection?

Yeah those are normal speeds.

Connection speeds are generally measured in megabits/sec, download speeds are usually measured in megabytes/sec.

A quick rule of thumb is to divide the value in megabits by 8 to get the value in megabytes/kilobytes.

So 1megabit/8 = 0.125megabytes = 125kilobytes

Advertisement