Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddle bag woes

Options
  • 05-07-2008 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I have a small bike saddle bag on my bike that contains a spare tube, multi tool, patches etc. The normal stuff that you have to get you home in case of a puncture.

I've just had this stuff nicked while I was at work (I work out in Sandyford) in secure parking. Not much stuff, about 15-20 quids worth but it's more the annoyance of it.

Does this happen to other people? Do you take your saddle bag off your bike when you park it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Two weeks ago i locked my bike up at the bike rack outside the main enterance of my gym. I place it there, as there is a camera directly facing my bike. When i returned my Saddle bag was taken.
    i went back inside, and the manager proceeded to go through the footage. We saw a gang of youths circling the bike for around 10 minutes trying to get it off, as it was very secure to say the least...
    Furthermore, during the theft, there was someone standing there the whole time trying to tell them to clear off, but he merely got abuse, the same for the instructor that came along too...
    But it didn't matter, as my tools, tubes and bag were taken...really annoying was the fact that i had accumulated so many tools, bits and pieces that i was so used to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I take everything off the bike, even though its in a car park with security and cctv. I don't believe any of that will stop someone determined to mess with the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've had my rear light nicked while the bike was parked in a secure business park. I always take everything off the bike now. For commuting, I always keep tools/pump/tubes in my commute bag, so it's just lights that I need to take off the bike in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Depends. If it feels safe I lock the helmet to the bike and leave everything attached. If it's outside of shopping centre, or town or something, take everything off, put it in the helmet, and carry it all away...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I always leave mine on and have never had a problem. I guess it depends where you are parking it. Surprised you had it nicked in secure parking in Sandyford- where do you work (I work in Sandyford myself.) What exactly an average yobo is going to do with the sort of stuff to be found in a saddle bag I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Might have been someone with a puncture;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

blorg wrote: »
    I always leave mine on and have never had a problem. I guess it depends where you are parking it. Surprised you had it nicked in secure parking in Sandyford- where do you work (I work in Sandyford myself.) What exactly an average yobo is going to do with the sort of stuff to be found in a saddle bag I don't know.

They take it because they can. No other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lilphich

It's strange to me too. I work for a large software company (no prizes for guessing who) not too far from Sandyford Luas station and there are very few kids around. Just bizarre to me as they even took my tube of puncture glue! I'm just glad I had my front tyre locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I put my commuting stuff into a peanut butter jar - it fits perfectly into a bottle cage, holds tube/levers/patch stuff, is waterproof, and is almost invisible on the bike compared to a saddlebag. And it costs nothing either, since the peanut butter is what I paid for :P
    It's a doddle to remove it then if you need to also, no straps or anything to undo on the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Saddle bags are regularly emptied where I work. They'll take everything that isn't nailed down and the little scangers couldn't give a sh1te about cameras or security. A colleague locked his frame to a post with a U lock and came back to find his wheels gone. They weren't even good wheels! Unless you lock everything down with a U lock consider your relationship with your bike a short one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

The one and only time I left my saddle bag on the bike it was emptied.

All me Lidl tools were gone. They were **** tools though, in fairness. And they didn't take the spare tube that was sitting in the bag, the 'tards. I only bought the bag because someone here said it was handy for keeping food in, which it is.

OK, well as appears inevitable for me, a week after posting that I have never had a saddle bag emptied it has happened, after I popped into Woodies in Sandyford.

They were selective as to what they took, stole multi-tool, chain tool, puncture repair kit and pump but left my saddle cover, zip ties, speedlever (probably didn't know what it was- but then they did take the chain tool), spanner and mudguard attachment stuff.

Didn't see fit to nick my GPS or computer thank god.

Feckers. Part of me is glad I didn't catch them as I don't want a criminal record for kicking the shít out of a twelve year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

Lilphich wrote: »
    Just bizarre to me as they even took my tube of puncture glue!
    Maybe they think it is good for "glue sniffing" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Note to self; include a mouse trap in my saddle bag from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lilphich

Didn't see fit to nick my GPS or computer thank god.

So they nicked a multitool, but not a GPS? Smart

It has to be kids, although you never really see kids much out at Sandyford,

Maybe they think it is good for "glue sniffing" ?
    Heh, they actually left my superglue.

Lilphich wrote: »
    So they nicked a multitool, but not a GPS? Smart

It has to be kids, although you never really see kids much out at Sandyford,
    There were two groups of kids walking on down the road, I went after them but they didn't have anything visible so what could I do!

Advertisement