Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OMSP valuation - appeal

• 05-07-2008 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Just to update ya'all - in Feb (see earlier post in this thread) I imported a Hehn camper and moaned that it had been valued at 17,000 OMSP (open market selling price) by the VRT guys hence VRT payable of 2,160. I took the trouble to appeal the valuation even though I didn't hold out much hope, the VRO having a reputation of being tough, to put it politely. The procedure is easy - a form to fill in and a covering letter BUT you must do it within 2 months (I just barely made it).
    You are appealing the valuation - you are not appealing the law, nor is there any point in moaning about your situation, making a special case etc.
    I put in lots of examples from the 'net of similar vans with lower selling prices. Of course I was selective - wouldn't you be?

I got an acknowledgment straight away - and this week I got a nice letter telling me they had revised the OMSP valuation to 12,200 - this is more or less the actual purchase price 10,500 divide by 86.6% - or another way to look at it is that the new OMSP less 13.3% = my actual buy price. Now I really can't say fairer than that! End result is there's a cheque for around €650 winging its way to me - wahay!
    So - you will have to pay some VRT on your camper import - we may resent it but that's the law - but at least you can appeal the amount if you feel it's excessive.
    Best of luck! db.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think this deserves its own thread ...so here it is :D

As a matter of interest ...where did you get your reference examples for the appeal from? There aren't that many well priced examples out there.
    Or did you throw in the odd van from outside the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Great result,just about to fill my appeal form in,certainley hope I have a good as result as you,I paid 3200 on my import!! very:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Good job, get the cash while the government still have some cash to give away. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

peasant wrote: »
    I think this deserves its own thread ...so here it is :D

As a matter of interest ...where did you get your reference examples for the appeal from? There aren't that many well priced examples out there.
    Or did you throw in the odd van from outside the country?
    Hi Peasant - no I didn't throw in one from outside the country. I can't find the letter to VRO so from memory: I googled campervans/motorcaravans in Ireland and worked from there. I found a few at East Coast Campers near Arklow and on CarZone.ie and Motortrader or AutoTraderI think and a couple on TheGumTree - I found NOTHING useful or current in Buy & Sell. Also B&S rarely gives prices and I am fed up with no replies or "we sold that months ago". I was surprised at being able to find any small campers near my price range. Last Autumn when I started looking there was nothing interesting out there, and 4 years ago when I bought my first one what was out there was rubbish - badly converted Transits, rusty Fiats, quaint VeeDubs, junk that smelled of chips and beer and people living in them year-round....
    Now I admit I did not go look at any of these examples I gave the VRO - maybe they were not as good as the ads implied. It's a pity the regime is biased toward larger (3 tonne+) campers - from the comments I get about mine I think there are many people who would love a compact camper, easy on fuel and easy to park but they end up with a truck, with massive overhang out the back and drinking fuel, just 'cos it's €50 VRT. db.

Advertisement