Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap 1gb graphics cards?

Options
  • 05-07-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi there, im looking for a cheap but relatively decent 1gb pci-e graphics card. On ebay i can see ones like the ATI HD2400 and HD3450 for €45-60 range. They have 256mb ddr mem but if you have 2gb of ram or more, theyll give you 1gb. Ill have 8gb ram in my new pc, so would they be any good?? Im not too mad on gaming, just play COD4 and UT, but would do video editing and converting etc, and would like something quick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

or the NVidea GT8500 Super. That has 512mb with 1gb hypermemory. supports sli, hdcp and DirectS 10. Its cheap, but is it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hi there, im looking for a cheap but relatively decent 1gb pci-e graphics card. On ebay i can see ones like the ATI HD2400 and HD3450 for €45-60 range. They have 256mb ddr mem but if you have 2gb of ram or more, theyll give you 1gb. Ill have 8gb ram in my new pc, so would they be any good?? Im not too mad on gaming, just play COD4 and UT, but would do video editing and converting etc, and would like something quick.

Why do you want a 1 gig graphics card?

For video conversion a fast CPU and Ram have more of an effect than a gfx card.

You can use codecs that utilise a gfx card's power to convert video.
    i.e. http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_purevideo.html

Ram size of the graphics cards have nothing to do with this, unless you are doing some crazy 3d modelling and are using very powerful workstation Nvidia quadro /ATI FireGL cards that have 1-2 gig of ram.
    or the NVidea GT8500 Super. That has 512mb with 1gb hypermemory. supports sli, hdcp and DirectS 10. Its cheap, but is it good?
    Cheap nasty muck. Hyper memory if found on the weaker cheap gfx cards, it "steals" the ram in your pc and alocates it for the graphics card. Waste of time.

Cheap 1 gig cards are there to fool idiots/the ignorant into buying cheap muck. You want a fast gfx card, the cards listed below ONLY have 512mb of memory but are MUCH faster that any of the cards you listed. It is the "horse power" of the cards you should be looking at not the engine/fuel tank size.....

1)what is your budget?

2)What size screen do you game on?

For gaming I would look at:

1) Nvidia 9600GT 512mb (circa €119)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=347774

2) 8800GT 512mb (circa €150
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346501

3) 4850 512mb (circa €170)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=357345

If you are gaming on a 24" monitor that is a different story and a high end 1 gig card would be a good idea.

thanks mate, id like somthing under under 100 on komplett if possible. Ive a 17" screen, but may be adding another of the same soon. What would u reccommend for uner €100? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

From Komplett and for under €100 Id recommend the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 256MB GDDR3(Link) Good card for the price and would easily power 2 17" monitors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Fusion158 wrote: »
    From Komplett and for under €100 Id recommend the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 256MB GDDR3(Link) Good card for the price and would easily power 2 17" monitors :)

+1.

Best card in the sub €100 price bracket bar a 8800GS which some people have found for €90.

• Advertisement

Thanks mates

Just bought a 1gb ATI HD2900pro card there. Its supposed to rival the 8800gt What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Just bought a 1gb ATI HD2900pro card there. Its supposed to rival the 8800gt What do you think?

They saw you coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just bought a card there. Its supposed to rival the 8800gt What do you think?

Supposedly its slower than the 512Mb one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ahhh.....not a great choice to be honest, unless you got it for about 80-90 euro...

It's nowhere near the 8800GT...it rivals the old 8800GTS 320mb, tit for tat in benches...and it can't make any use of 1gb either...

You would have gotten the same performance with better overclocking ability in the 8800GS for about 90 euro.

• Advertisement

Ahhh.....not a great choice to be honest, unless you got it for about 80-90 euro...

It's nowhere near the 8800GT...it rivals the old 8800GTS 320mb, tit for tat in benches...and it can't make any use of 1gb either...

You would have gotten the same performance with better overclocking ability in the 8800GS for about 90 euro.

i got it for €70 incl postage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well thats very cheap and If you are happy with it then its all good. Personally, I woulda spent more as you are gonna be pretty limited with what you can do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

If you got it for that price it's good.

You mentioned you wanted a 1GB card. 512bm is good for most things. The only reason you'd need a gig would be if you're using very high resolutions. Other than that the extra mem isn't really used.

Advertisement