Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

velociraptor question...

Options
  • 05-07-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Has anyone got one of these? More importantly can the 3.5" heatsink casing be removed and the 2.5" drive be mounted in a 2.5" mount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I would be very worried removing the only form of cooling on a 300gb 15000rpm drive
    :o

Why would ya need to? putting it in a laptop would surely burn that drive out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

According to Silentpcreview.com the heat (6W consumption) is not a problem, the size would be though (twice as high as a standart 2.5" drive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Well as far as cooling goes it's not a concern, they will be going in a 2U server case so will be adequately cooled, i'm more concerned with the size. If i remove the heatsink are they the same height as a laptop drive or bigger etc..
    I guess thats two questions i'm asking :D
    Can i remove the heatsink, then can i fit it in to a 2.5" drive space? Length and width i'd imagine are the same size as the normal laptop drive but the height sure doesn't look the same.. Does anyone have one that they could confirm they are the same size as a normal laptop drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

I dont have the drive but looking at the pictures it looks thicker. Also I wouldn't risk revoving the heatsink from the drive, its there for a reason. Also, it could void your warranty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well as far as cooling goes it's not a concern, they will be going in a 2U server case so will be adequately cooled, i'm more concerned with the size. If i remove the heatsink are they the same height as a laptop drive or bigger etc..
    I guess thats two questions i'm asking :D
    Can i remove the heatsink, then can i fit it in to a 2.5" drive space? Length and width i'd imagine are the same size as the normal laptop drive but the height sure doesn't look the same.. Does anyone have one that they could confirm they are the same size as a normal laptop drive?
    Just look at the post above yours. Hugoline says they are twice as high as a standard 2.5" drive.

• Advertisement

Ah, thanks Hugoline for the reply, sorry i missed it before. That answers that then... I take it filing them down to size might void the warranty :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Unfortunately don't have one myself (nice, fast drive!), but click on the link above and you will see it in pictures next to a 'normal' 2.5" drive (on second page of the review).
    Good luck with the filing down :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

Samsung F1 drive holds more , Is almost as fast and cheaper

Whats the point i buying one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

you get a bigger e-penis

eh, its got a cool name :p

Nothing beats a good ol' cheetah 15000rpm drive though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

you get a bigger e-penis

eh, its got a cool name :p

Nothing beats a good ol' cheetah 15000rpm drive though :)

Apart from your jet engine sized cooling fan for it failing, or the LNO2 running out :)

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »
    Samsung F1 drive holds more , Is almost as fast and cheaper

Whats the point i buying one ?

Quite simply to maximise space :) There's already 8 hotswap trays with 8 Samsung F1's and the case in question has 3 internal mounts that can accomodate 2.5" slim drives. Although having put a few of these together i know when they say slim they mean SLIM and next to impossible to fit anything so that rules out the velociraptors.

Case: http://tinyurl.com/6y7vz3

Advertisement