Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kewell departs Liverpool for next pay packet

• 05-07-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

So Harry Kewell was finally shown the door at Liverpool five years, 138 games and just 16 goals after signing for them in a deal worth £60k a week. His first season, well the first six months anyway, showed signs of promise. A man who had lit up the English league and Europe when playing for Leeds was now in the red of Liverpool and I for one was certainly excited.

What happened since is embarassing for all. While other fans mocked us, we'd be hopeful that once his current injury cleared he'd get back down to business. How wrong we were. Every time he returned from injury he'd be sporting a new "footballer's haircut" and a new tatoo. His mind seemed to be on all things but recupperation. He even made an appearance on MTV cribs during one of his absences.

Time and time again he was given his chances by Benitez but time and time again he disappointed, and even when his body was fit, his mind looked way off the pace.

He's gone now to Turkey, a strange choice in my opinion, not for the strength of the league but surely someone who has been broken so often wants to get things going again slowly. Turkey will provide a massive culture shock, and I wouldn't think the fans will be as compassionate to his folly as those he has had in England. I suppose it gives him a chance out of the intensity of the English spotlight, so maybe he can sit in the stands collecting his bumper weekly away from the baying eyes of Liverpool fans. Or if he does manage to string a few games together, maybe he feels he can quickly elevate to the level of superstar hero and get all the attention he craves. But I repeat again, I find it a strange move for a man in his position.

What leaves a bitter taste in the mouth though is, in all the quotes attributed to him since the move. He talks about how he is looking forward to "a new challenge", the quality and potential in the Turkish league. Not once a thank you for the manager who stood by him, nor any apology or guilt felt toward the fans he let disappointed again and again.

I suppose this is the perfect example of the modern day footballer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3779263,00.html

The 29-year-old admits that his move to Galatasaray could lead to him being unavailable for Australia at next month's Olympic Games in Beijing.

He added: "The Olympics depended on if I had a club or not. It's down to Galatasaray now, I've signed for them.

"If they want me to go, fair enough, but I'm a Galatasaray player and my first priority is to play for Galatasaray."

Yes they will want you to go to the olympics and probably miss the start of their season while they pay your wages. I wouldnt be suprised if nobody asked him about the olympics and he brought it up himself. Hopefully he disappears and isnt mentioned again. I'm sure his agent is happy anyways with another chunk of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The thing that makes me sick is that despite injury ravaged seasons, he always seemed to run into a patch of fitness toward the end of each one when Australia had a few games coming up, and out of no where would put in a great performance usually scoring and setting up goals. His desire to play in the Olympics is evidence of that.

He didn't he go back and play domestically in Australia? The league may be poor but it would be a great opportunity for him to get his fitness and confidence back in comfortable surroundings and then maybe look to return to Europe in a year or two? It's not like he couldn't afford the pay cut!

He is adored by people over there. They actually think he is one of the top European players, and cite instances like performances at the WC2006 as examples. I watched the 2007 CL final over there and the Liverpool's loss was solely attributed to Benitez's decision to leave Kewell on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What leaves a bitter taste in the mouth though is, in all the quotes attributed to him since the move. He talks about how he is looking forward to "a new challenge", the quality and potential in the Turkish league. Not once a thank you for the manager who stood by him, nor any apology or guilt felt toward the fans he let disappointed again and again.

Liverpool fans should just be happy to see the back of him. Besides how many failed footballers have actually came out and apologised to their ex club, few I'd say.

If Liverpool qualify for the Champions League group stages It wouldn't surpise me to see them drawing Galatasary. I'm sure he will thank Rafa then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In fairness, considering how much money Liverpool saved buying him in the first place it's kind of an ironic justice that Kewell robbed them blind

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why be bitter? Just be glad to see the back of the guy. He is a liabiltiy regardless of who he is playing for. Players of his ilk should be relegated to sunday league after a hard week at the salon. Just another Lee Sharpe style attention whore.

At least Crouchy is trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I never understood the hatred for Kewell. Ive said it before - its not as if he faked the injuries. He has had surgery after surgery after surgery. Im glad hes gone as hes too injury prone to play at the top level but its not as if he got injured on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

138 divided by 5 is 27 odd games a season. Thats not bad considering the amount of injuries he had. Theres plenty of players that are fully fit 95% of the time and dotn play 27 games a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Supposedly when it averages out he got around £3.8 million per match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I seriously doubt Liverpool payed him over half a billion during his five years there :p

[edit] By my rough calculations, he was paid just over 100,000 per game. Still, thats about 40 times less than your figure.

LMAO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

(60,000 * 52 * 5 + 5,000,000) / 138 = 149,275 per match

Jaysus not bad if you can get it. :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

He screwed Leeds over when he left, at a time when we really needed every penny we could get, and was ungracious towards the club that gave him his start in English football, so it's no surprise that he's done the same to Liverpool. He's ungrateful and lacks any sort of class, so despite the talent that he presumably still has, English football is better off without him, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So Harry Kewell was finally shown the door at Liverpool five years, 138 games and just 16 goals after signing for them in a deal worth £60k a week. His first season, well the first six months anyway, showed signs of promise. A man who had lit up the English league and Europe when playing for Leeds was now in the red of Liverpool and I for one was certainly excited.

What happened since is embarassing for all. While other fans mocked us, we'd be hopeful that once his current injury cleared he'd get back down to business. How wrong we were. Every time he returned from injury he'd be sporting a new "footballer's haircut" and a new tatoo. His mind seemed to be on all things but recupperation. He even made an appearance on MTV cribs during one of his absences.

Time and time again he was given his chances by Benitez but time and time again he disappointed, and even when his body was fit, his mind looked way off the pace.

He's gone now to Turkey, a strange choice in my opinion, not for the strength of the league but surely someone who has been broken so often wants to get things going again slowly. Turkey will provide a massive culture shock, and I wouldn't think the fans will be as compassionate to his folly as those he has had in England. I suppose it gives him a chance out of the intensity of the English spotlight, so maybe he can sit in the stands collecting his bumper weekly away from the baying eyes of Liverpool fans. Or if he does manage to string a few games together, maybe he feels he can quickly elevate to the level of superstar hero and get all the attention he craves. But I repeat again, I find it a strange move for a man in his position.

What makes footballers different to us normal people, most people work for money , and if i leave my job i doubt i'll praise my boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boggles wrote: »
    (60,000 * 52 * 5 + 5,000,000) / 138 = 149,275 per match

Jaysus not bad if you can get it. :D
    Minus tax. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'm surprise Benitez didn't try to get some of the the £5m that Liverpool paid Leeds in 2003 back off Galatasaray ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Raekwon wrote: »
    I'm surprise Benitez didn't try to get some of the the £5m that Liverpool paid Leeds in 2003 back off Galatasaray ;)

are you mad? kewell captained Australia before, he'd be worth at least 20m using o'neills logic :rolleyes:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    are you mad? kewell captained Australia before, he'd be worth at least 20m using o'neills logic :rolleyes:

Ouch! I seem to have hit a sore spot there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Mr Alan wrote: »

I think a player's value is determined by how much another team wants them rather than what they have achieved in the past.

Liverpool appear desperate to sign Barry so should be made to pay way over the odds for him.

Kewell is worth less than a ham sandwich since nobody likes him, nobody wants him, and the Turks seem content to do him a favour by giving him a chance.

PDN wrote: »
    I think a player's value is determined by how much another team wants them rather than what they have achieved in the past.

Liverpool appear desperate to sign Barry so should be made to pay way over the odds for him.

I think everybody apart from Liverpool fans know this already. It's actually amazing what a cloud of red mist can do to some people's logical brain functions :pac:

Back on topic: I wonder what sort of pay cut Kewell took to when he signed for Galatasaray? I doubt they would be even willing to pay him even half of the £60k per week that he was on at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The thing that surprises me most about this move is that he played for Leeds against Galatasaray after two Leeds fans were killed. The disrespect shown by Galatasaray and their fans at the match was so bad that I'm amazed that anyone with a connection to Leeds would even contemplate having anything to do with Galatasaray. Again, just shows what a classy guy he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Zaph wrote: »
    The thing that surprises me most about this move is that he played for Leeds against Galatasaray after two Leeds fans were killed. The disrespect shown by Galatasaray and their fans at the match was so bad that I'm amazed that anyone with a connection to Leeds would even contemplate having anything to do with Galatasaray. Again, just shows what a classy guy he is.

+1, there was an article posted up on the pool website saying much the same. Just adding insult to injury after how he left Leeds. Seems a very self obsessed guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I thought I remember seeing.reading back when we were in Istanbul Kewell wanted to win it in memory of the Leeds fans that died. But he will sign for them no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

they were showing how many appearances he made for pool in his time there on sky the other morning, and i have to say i was amazed to see hed actually played a pretty decent amount of games, unless they had their figures wildly wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

for pool

03/04 = 47 starts, 2 subs
    04/05 = 22 starts, 8 subs
    05/06 = 30 starts, 11 subs
    06/07 = 0 starts, 3 subs
    07/08 = 9 starts, 5 subs

Did ok the first 3 seasons, then it all really fell apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

137 appearances over 5 seasons isnt too bad tho all things considered, thats an average of nearly 28 a year

he'll probably do an alrite job at gala as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

sheree8.gif

^ That made me LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fair play to Harry for getting away fromt he media clowns that epitomise the attitude of the EPL. Bad enough being injured the whole time and being unable to work without some overpaid arseholes criticising you at every opportunity.

A fit Harry is an asset to any club and I look forward to him captaining Australia at the 2008 World Cup.

• Advertisement

What was going through his head in this picture? Enough to ask to be subbed at half time cos he was positively sh*tting it

I don't blame Galatasaray for what happened but their refusal to hold a minute's silence or even wear black armbands spoke volumes about their lack of morals and sympathy.

A better tribute towards Leeds fans would have been to never join them Harry, you thick c*nt.

Would you ever grow up. Harry Kewell owes Leeds nothing. He gave them years of quality service only to be shafted by the ineptitude of the chairman.

You'd swear he was feckin Alan Smith and supported Leeds since he was a kid. He didn't and he took the deal best him, the professional that he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ihave no problem with him making a move and looking for a big payday. I am bitterly disapointed he never performed to the level he is obviously capable of while at Liverpool and I understand teh frustrations - all most fans want is for teh players to look like they care. Kewel - especially towards the end - only seemed to care about getting fit enough to play for Australia and that galled us. But his contracts up so he's entitled to move.

What I can't understand is why Galatasary of all places - he was unpopular with Leeds fans already but going there is such a kick in the teeth it's almost as if he's deliberatly sticking two fingers up. He had other choices, other clubs were in for him`and he's not so hard up that he needs to make choices based only on the money.

No footballer is altruistic but Kewel is either stupidly niave or he just doesn't care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

No footballer is altruistic but Kewel is either stupidly niave or he just doesn't care
    I'm going to have to go with naive here - I think Harry is just plain dim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Death or Glory banned for one week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

joker77 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to go with naive here - I think Harry is just plain dim

I dunno, it's not like it's a big deal what leeds fans think of him. The statement was just a bit of PR to ensure he doesn't look like a total w*nk. He doesn't live in Leeds so their opinion of him matters little really. Certainly not as much as the big pay packet will! I wish the lad well. not his fault he had those injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Would you ever grow up. Harry Kewell owes Leeds nothing. He gave them years of quality service only to be shafted by the ineptitude of the chairman.

You'd swear he was feckin Alan Smith and supported Leeds since he was a kid. He didn't and he took the deal best him, the professional that he is.

can you explain there how he was shafted by the chairman?

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    can you explain there how he was shafted by the chairman?

Emmmm Ridsdale ballsed up Leeds. I thought that was common knowledge.

He did, and one of the ways he did it was by allowing quality assets like Kewel to be sold off at below market value. He wasprobably worth double (or more) the £5m LFC paid for him and he used that to his advantage to negotiate a better than it could have been wage out ofLFC. As I understand it Leeds also saw very little of the transfer fee, with a lot going to HK / his agent.

how was harry kewell shafted by the chairman though?

He did, and one of the ways he did it was by allowing quality assets like Kewel to be sold off at below market value. He wasprobably worth double (or more) the £5m LFC paid for him and he used that to his advantage to negotiate a better than it could have been wage out ofLFC. As I understand it Leeds also saw very little of the transfer fee, with a lot going to HK / his agent.

Leeds had to sell though. I doubt HArry's first choice was to leave a young team that had just gotten to the semi final of the Champions League.
    how was harry kewell shafted by the chairman though?

Well Leeds had the potential to go place, Ridsdale got excited and over spent, therefore shafting the club and the players already there i.e. Kewell. If it wasn't for Rodsdale then Kewell would never have had to leave Leeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Kewell is good. He had a chat with my dad running the beach with a football when he was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

All I can think about when I heard Harry Kewell mentioned.

71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg

Well Leeds had the potential to go place, Ridsdale got excited and over spent, therefore shafting the club and the players already there i.e. Kewell. If it wasn't for Rodsdale then Kewell would never have had to leave Leeds.

ah christ, you make it sound he was a poor innocent wee lamb

Did we shaft him in making him negotiate with liverpool without the clubs permission?
    Did we shaft him by making him use an unlicensed agent?
    Did we shaft him by enabling him to screw the club out of 2 million that instead went to his agent company for "services for the club?"

aye, poor harry, he was shafted big time:rolleyes:

So do you harbour the same hatred towards Rio Ferdinand who signed for your most hated rivals? Or is that ok beacause it was for £29 million?

I think it's the idea of him being "shafted" that Leeds fans are objecting to. As far as they are concerned Kewell shafted them - e let his contract wind down and used an unlicenced agent who took 2 of the 5 million at a time when Leeds were desperate for cash.

Saying he was shafted implies that he was somehow taken advantage of or wronged - being sold on to a team you supported as a child who are competing in the CL and being paid a higher wage hardly counts as being shafted.

So do you harbour the same hatred towards Rio Ferdinand who signed for your most hated rivals? Or is that ok beacause it was for £29 million?

i was annoyed at the time yeah, but i always knew we wouldnt keep rio for ever when he signed, and we got a transfer record fee out of him so it wasnt too bad.

but to say kewell was shafted is laughable, when the man took 2 million out of the clubs pocket when he left, knowing the club could go to the wall.

i was annoyed at the time yeah, but i always knew we wouldnt keep rio for ever when he signed, and we got a transfer record fee out of him so it wasnt too bad.

Why did you think that? Leeds were on their way to becoming a title challenger and an established Champions League side. No reason to leave.
    but to say kewell was shafted is laughable, when the man took 2 million out of the clubs pocket when he left, knowing the club could go to the wall.

All the players were shafted by what went on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 2 million go to the agent and not Kewell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

didnt see this mentioned here but Kewell has written an open letter to Leeds fans about the move:
    peachy bum wrote:
    "My love and respect for Leeds United FC and what the club has done for me will never change, no matter what anyone says about me and whatever their motives are," he wrote in a letter issued through Sky Sports in Britain.

"My sense of sorrow and sympathy for the families and friends of Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight will always be with me.

"I chose the No.19 shirt when I signed for Galatasaray as a sign of respect for Leeds because that was the number I got when I first became a regular member of the Leeds United FC starting XI.

"I felt that it might be a way to demonstrate that I had not forgotten where it all started and I was hoping that in a small way it would help the healing process of the tragedy that occurred on the 5th of April 2000.

Kewell said to blame Galatasaray club for the deaths of the two Leeds fans eight years ago was "simply wrong and discriminatory".

"This is a club founded in 1905 that has a proud history of striving for sporting excellence and it should be given the same respect as any other football club," he wrote.

"I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion on whatever they like, but that does not make their opinion right.

"No one has to agree with my views or my choices, but I think it's only fair and reasonable to allow me and my family to enjoy the same democratic rights as expected by those that have been attacking me over the last few days."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,23986320-11088,00.html

Why did you think that? Leeds were on their way to becoming a title challenger and an established Champions League side. No reason to leave.

we werent really. im not just saying this now, cos i said it at the time as well, but we were miles off a proper consistent title challenge.
    and an established champions league side? hardly
    All the players were shafted by what went on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 2 million go to the agent and not Kewell?

players were shafted me arse.
    they all got plenty of money in wages off the club and its not as if we ended any of their careers. most have done pretty well since leaving us.
    yeah it went to his agent, an agent that kewell used knowing that he wasnt licensed by FIFA.
    and yeah, the money went to the agent. Do you think he did it without kewells consent, that poor harry didnt know what was going on?

Mr Alan, read that article yesterday and its laughable to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm not a Pool or Leeds fan, but when I saw Harry Kewell sauntering around his mansion on "Cribs" I felt like putting a brick through the telly. He is history's greatest monster - that is all.

we werent really. im not just saying this now, cos i said it at the time as well, but we were miles off a proper consistent title challenge.
    and an established champions league side? hardly

Why not? Chelsea weren't around then. Leeds and Liverpool were the teams for third spot. Third spot every year = CL football with a chance to build for success in the league.
    players were shafted me arse.
    they all got plenty of money in wages off the club and its not as if we ended any of their careers. most have done pretty well since leaving us.

No but everybody involved with Leeds United suffered as a result of Ridsdale's actions. A young team with amazing potential was broken up. I doubt the players were happy about that.
    yeah it went to his agent, an agent that kewell used knowing that he wasnt licensed by FIFA.
    and yeah, the money went to the agent. Do you think he did it without kewells consent, that poor harry didnt know what was going on?

But so what? He's a professional footballer looking out for number 1, just like every other player out there.

Look at it this way - You're 29, you haven't played much in three years, you have no club. A big European club comes in and offers you a decent length contract at a good rate. It's probably your last big pay day in the game before you retire. Hmmmmm what to do.....
    loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm not a Pool or Leeds fan, but when I saw Harry Kewell sauntering around his mansion on "Cribs" I felt like putting a brick through the telly. He is history's greatest monster - that is all.

Yes cause no other players have big gaffs :rolleyes:

Sure Ashley Ward was on Cribs ffs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement