Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kewell departs Liverpool for next pay packet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Xavi6 wrote: »

No but everybody involved with Leeds United suffered as a result of Ridsdale's actions. A young team with amazing potential was broken up. I doubt the players were happy about that.

yea i doubt they were happy but shafted?
    i fail to see that, shafted to me indicates you were screwed over.
    two name two, rio went on to win leagues and a champions league and kewell has a champions league medal. hardly screwed over in the end
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    But so what? He's a professional footballer looking out for number 1, just like every other player out there.

Look at it this way - You're 29, you haven't played much in three years, you have no club. A big European club comes in and offers you a decent length contract at a good rate. It's probably your last big pay day in the game before you retire. Hmmmmm what to do.....

i dont buy into this last payday ****e, you'd swear footballers make no money from the game. its not like years ago and if harry kewell never worked again, he'd be fine for money.

if he wants to join Galatasaray, thats his own choice. but he cannot expect leeds fans to wish him well.
    This is a club who's fans stabbed and killed two of our own.
    This is a club who refused to reschedule the game that followed.
    This is a club that refused to wear black armbands for the game.
    This is a group of fans that booed and jeered when a message of condolence was read out before the game.
    This is a team who's fans are notorious for violence, who pissed on united fans back in 91 and who stabbed an arsenal fan at the uefa cup final. they are too numerous to mention.

I know leeds fans are hardly nice either, i know the songs we have sung about munich etc but i dont accept or condone that. I have told people to shut up at games im at, i dont want to hear that. And if an opposition fan calls us scum cos of that, i understand their reasons.

look im finishing up here, i dont want it to drag on.
    i have no problem with harry kewell playing for whoever he wants, thats his choice as a free agent.
    But if he expects me, as a Leeds fan, to understand and accept it, he can fúck off and i wont be wishing him luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Always thought attitude, injuries etc aside he was an insanely overrated highlights reel player who generally didn't produce a whole lot during matches but would occasionally get the odd brilliant goal to cover up for it. Which law of averages said would happen as he had a Lauren Robert like love of shooting whenever the remotest oppurtunity presented itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Slash/ED wrote: »
    Always thought attitude, injuries etc aside he was an insanely overrated highlights reel player who generally didn't produce a whole lot during matches but would occasionally get the odd brilliant goal to cover up for it. Which law of averages said would happen as he had a Lauren Robert like love of shooting whenever the remotest oppurtunity presented itself.

You have a point although that isn't entirely true. In Kewell's good days at Leeds he was a top quality player and had Ryan Giggs not been wearing the United number 11 shirt I'm pretty sure Ferguson would have took him to Old Trafford.

While I take people's points about Kewell in general, we can't expect players not to be looking out for number 1 when the clubs themselves have all but sold their souls to the highest bidder at this stage. Liverpool are owned by two bickering American businessmen only interested in dollars, United owned by another US business family and Man City owned by a guy with a record of human rights violations. We won't even talk about Chelski. There is little integrity left within the clubs themselves so should we expect it of the players?

In saying that I do think it's somewhat insensitive of Kewell to sign for Galatasaray given all that has happened, and considering that he would have had other offers on the table. The Galatasaray fans (a sizeable amount of them) are a disgrace and that's something the club can't distance themselves from completely, nor can the players.

Advertisement