Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland should broker a deal..

Options
  • 05-07-2008 1:20pm

Between the UK and the USA, and join it. I was a lisbon supporter, and I'm totally against help for people who are in negative equity, but we would be able to control our own interest rates, maybe curbe inflation. And have a strong enough force allowing us to be able to stick to free trade with the EU, and would be able to ask for US help in patrolling our waters to stop the illegal fishing in them. While it might be a breach of our nutrality, and we dont have the recources to fish it to its full potential, it would be a powerful negotiating chip when it came to European affairs involving Spain/France.

Just a random thought but I'd like to hear about peoples ideas on this scenario. Far fetched I know, but I just thought I'd throw it out there :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,999 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Between the UK and the USA, and join it.

Join what 'it' ?
    I was a lisbon supporter, and I'm totally against help for people who are in negative equity, but we would be able to control our own interest rates, maybe curbe inflation.

This is nonsense. If we still had our own currency, our interest rates would probably be about three times what they are now. How is that going to help inflation?
    And have a strong enough force allowing us to be able to stick to free trade with the EU

The US doesn't have this, so we won't either. Unless we join the EEA and submit, like the Norwegians, to implementing all EU common market legislation while having no say whatsoever in the drafting of that legislation.
    and would be able to ask for US help in patrolling our waters to stop the illegal fishing in them.

Right so they will send ships across the Atlantic to mind a few fish... hardly. What's in it for them? Why is ceding our sovereignty to the US better than ceding it to the EU?
    While it might be a breach of our nutrality, and we dont have the recources to fish it to its full potential, it would be a powerful negotiating chip when it came to European affairs involving Spain/France.

They have powerful negotiating chips too, like denying us access to their markets. We're a small nation with few resources that needs to export to survive. You will bring us back to the 1930's economic war scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

my response:

lol.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Between the UK and the USA, and join it. I was a lisbon supporter, and I'm totally against help for people who are in negative equity, but we would be able to control our own interest rates, maybe curbe inflation. And have a strong enough force allowing us to be able to stick to free trade with the EU, and would be able to ask for US help in patrolling our waters to stop the illegal fishing in them. While it might be a breach of our nutrality, and we dont have the recources to fish it to its full potential, it would be a powerful negotiating chip when it came to European affairs involving Spain/France.

Just a random thought but I'd like to hear about peoples ideas on this scenario. Far fetched I know, but I just thought I'd throw it out there :)

LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Daftest suggestion yet op well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

W. T. F. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Just a random thought...
    That much was clear immedietly.