Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition from consoles to PC platform....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

mayordenis wrote: »
    overall for a game like COD4 it may take a little time but you will find it the best and most enjoyable way to play - I would however be a little worried about the idea if you still wanna play games like fifa and driving game - like me - this is where pc gaming falls down - especially when it comes to sitting around with a few mates playing some local multiplayer - if there's anyway you can keep maybe one of your consoles then go for it :)
    Thats not entirely true... you can get Fifa/Pro Evo for the pc and use xbox controllers. Its actually the prefered setup in my opinion. But OP he makes a good point. You are probably better off holding onto at least one of your consoles and getting a good budget gaming PC to compliment it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

johnk123 wrote: »
    Anyway, OS X is my primary OS so i'll either get a decent pc for dedicated gaming only, or, buy a license for windows and bootcamp my games on a powerful mac. I'll see.

Not tryin to be anti-mac or anything (horses for courses and all that) but that sounds like a slightly messy setup and while i'm not exactly sure, i doubt macs have many options for upgrading as opposed to say a custom built PC with all your own parts

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

It sounds to me like the OP's favorite genre is FPS games. That being the case, the PC is the best platform going for those.

If it were me I'd try to keep at least one console though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Gaming PCs can be very cheap if you keep an eye out, I picked up one of the sub-€200 dell pcs that were on the bargain alerts forum a few weeks ago, spent less than €200 again putting another 2gb of ram and a 9600GT graphics card into it. It makes for a very decent gaming pc for about €350 :) Keep an eye on the dell threads on bargain alerts, and for components on adverts and you can build a decent gaming pc for the price of a new console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I think an important part of what the OP should be looking at is the type of screen he wants to play on. No point in having a good PC if his screen is going to have a 20ms delay on it (if he buys LCD that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Yeah, you see, i need a monitor anyway.

@stevenmu, thanks, i'm taking a look at that right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

johnk123 wrote: »
    Yeah, you see, i need a monitor anyway.

When picking a monitor, you need to check for response time and refresh rate (Hertz/Hz). There's also no point in getting a large widescreen monitor if your graphics card is not up to much as you won't get decent FPS in game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

if you want to play games like ut 3,crisis buy a pc ,bootcamp wont run games at full speed ,pcs are cheaper ,mac s are expensive to upgrade, a pc with dual cpu ,2gig ram 8800 card will be ideal for games, unless you really need to run mac software ,and you can use an xbox controller on winxp pc,s.IT might run older games ok,circa 2004 eg ut 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Thanks for the input guys...... most of my questions from now on will be about components etc. And they'll go in the "Building & Upgrading" forum.

Thanks again.

Advertisement