Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with build!

Options
  • 05-07-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi guys, as the titles say's im looking for help building a new rig. Its been a while since i last built, so am not so familliar with the new chipsets etc.

I've decided on a Yorkfield quad core as the Cpu and want to use a GTX 280 (one for now).

Im undecided on the rest, i was looking at the x48 Intel chipset, the DFI lt x48 tr3s to be precise but then found out it is made to suit Crossfire rather than SLI.

So is the x48 chipset made for crossfire only?
    What are the pro's and cons of each chipset, x38, x48, p35, p45, g45,?.. im not to gone on the nvidias chipsets have been using them for the last 3 build, whatg to try something new!

I want to spend alot on this build, so if you guys could help me choose a chipset and board we can move onto the next step from there. Probably SSD and WC.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

The x48 chipset would be a good choice, great for overclocking and DDR3. That DFI board is drool worthy, they are the best choice for overclocking. The new ATI 4870 card is a very good card, might not beat the GTX280, only a couple fps in the difference but there is a huge price differnce. You could have two ati cards for the price of one nvidia. Also the 4870's in crossfire scale really well. In Call of Duty 4 for example the frame rate more than doubles (Source) Also, how much are you looking to spend on water cooling? I can really help with that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 km_corrigan

thing is i already have the 280 on the way. So now need i good board to support it and a yorkfield with ddr3 and good overclocking options

If you plan on going SLI later then get the Asus Striker II Extreme (Link). Its nvidia based but you need it for SLI. If you dont plan on going SLI then get the DFI motherboard you were looking at.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

what size power supply are you going with as I am building something similar.

No SLI either.

Thx

K

Ok im gonna go with the DFI UT x48 TR3S, figure i can get 6 months out of the 280 and sell it to get 2 of ATi's top cards out then.

Have also ordered CSX DDR3 using Micron D9GTR chips, heard they overclock well, anyone heard of or had experience with these chips?

Q9650 on the way to, would have loved a QX9650 but the price is a bit too high. Any Boardsies got a Q9650?.. heard it OC's well, would like to hear others experiences or thoughts on this CPU.

Just case and PSU left to get, was looking at the Corsair HX1000 looks like great value for money. Cases i have in mind are Antec Ninehundred or Lian Li PC P80. Anyone got any suggestion on other Cases and PSU's?

As for WC, i think i will leave this for later, see have everything goes on air first.

• Advertisement

You cant go wrong with the Corsair PSU's and that 1KW one will power your next few builds. Its some beast of a power supply; my friend got one in his computer when he bought it off Neuralcore Technologies.

As for the case, either of the two you mentioned will have plenty of space and good airflow. Also check out the Antec Twelve Hundred (Link)

To karltimber, I'd say a Corsair 750W would give you plenty of power, however if you want to have power to spare for future upgrades and you have the money spare get the 1KW version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

rich b@stard ;P

Nice system btw. What size monitor will you be playing on?

Haven't decided on a new monitor will be getting a 40' samsung le-a656 lcd wanna see how it looks on that, neve had the pc on an TV before. anyone else tried this?

Haven't decided on a new monitor will be getting a 40' samsung le-a656 lcd wanna see how it looks on that, neve had the pc on an TV before. anyone else tried this?

I had to move my gaming pc due to a new kid :rolleyes:, so moved it beside a 27
    " wide lcd in the play room, but it wasn't set up for gaming.
    Keyboard & mouse were not comfortable, so now the pc is being upgraded to a Quad Extreme with a proper table/desk.

just make sure you are in a good position to play games etc.

Good refresh rate ?

K

Its 5ms refresh rate. i'll have to get some sort of desk otherwise i can imagine it being horribly uncomfortable. how did it look compared to a normal monitor?, would the pixels look much bigger being on such a big screen even with 1080p resolution?

• Advertisement

I sometimes use my JVC Full HD TV for gaming but its mainly for watching videos, games on the normal monitor. When gaming I sit about the normal distance from a normal desktop monitor. Just start really close and pull back, you'll know when you cant see the individual pixels. Heres a lovely setup a guy on another forum has.
    DSC_6765.jpg
    Thats a 40" Full HD Samsung TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Nice.

Whats the 2nd pc doing or is that a speaker?

My setup ;)

IMG_0199.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

:o

nice!

how much all that kit cost you?

And heres me with my sh1tty dell vostro 200 and an ancient philips 17" :P

Sure it is :rolleyes:

Source

Thought the wink would give it away :D

Mine is alot more modest

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    My setup ;)

where do you live and is there an alarm/dog ? :D:D

very nice indeed.

what case is that, pc p60, or pc p80?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just to remind people, they can post pictures of builds, in progress and complete, setups, etc in this thread.

Post your REAL setup Squall. :D

Advertisement