Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Internet Radio pick up BBC Radio Stations?

• 05-07-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

We're looking to buy an Internet radio but are not sure if you can still pick up the BBC radio stations (Radio 4, radio 6 etc.). The BBC have blocked access to a lot of stuff since they got iPlayer and we know you can't BBC radio through a Sonos system. Also, if you go online you have to use Real Player not Windows Media Player.

If you're successfully picking up the BBC with an Internet radio, please let us know what make you have.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can recive all the bbc channels via real streams but the streams are subject to licence agreements regarding sporting events so for example - no soccer if SKY/Setanta is showing it, or certain golf events (again Sky/Setanta).

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Spang,

all reciva powered wifi/internet radios carry the bbc streams like the roberts wm201 and magicbox products. Not sure about terratec and other non reciva powered radios.

just checked my radios now at home and all the bbcs are there and working including local bbc stations. The bbc nationals all have real or windows streams and on demand options when you select the stations but the real streams are faster and hence better quality. That is not to say they won't decide to block these from non-uk ip addresses tomorrow morning!

TRSJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It depends. Some internet radio players allow you to access any radio station that is broadcasting on the web, in the same way as your laptop will. Internet radios with Reciva technology, for example. Other internet radios only allow you to receive pre-configured "channels" from their own website, I think Phillips are an example of this (well, they were when I checked last, might be different now). For example, the box for the phillips product said something along the lines of "500 channels to choose from" - and these are generally genres like "classic rock", "new age" etc. Generally, these don't allow you to specify a real radio station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

mike65 wrote: »
    You can recive all the bbc channels via real streams but the streams are subject to licence agreements regarding sporting events so for example - no soccer if SKY/Setanta is showing it, or certain golf events (again Sky/Setanta).

Radio rights are not normally associated with TV rights, separate and different kettles of fish entirely. Setanta or Sky cannot tell the BBC to restrict their online coverage, only the terms of the contract between the BBC and the Premier League can do so.

Going OT, for the Premier League, the BBC have the rights to online commentaries of games they are covering to those within the UK (geocaching). Clubs themselves are allowed to sell local and online rights to whomever they like, normally its on their own websites. Overseas sporting events are almost completely blocked to listeners of 5 Live outside the UK online.

OP, I (and mike65) have the Logik IR100, which has the Reciva technology, and can get the BBC's streams using a Real codec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They always seem to be linked in my mind! (evil pay tv mogels etc)

I guess its stupid "territorial" stuff - can anyone explain why me not being able to listen to BBC broadcast Prem League games on via the net in Ireland helps the rights holder?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ad revenue for the station, and more wages for the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mike65 wrote: »
    They always seem to be linked in my mind! (evil pay tv mogels etc)

I guess its stupid "territorial" stuff - can anyone explain why me not being able to listen to BBC broadcast Prem League games on via the net in Ireland helps the rights holder?

Mike.

cause then you have to pay the club to listen through it's website, or they can sell the game to stations in both territories instead of one..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

I just bought a Roberts WM-201. The BBC streams keep stopping and buffering to the extent that they are unlistenable. Lyric is the same, but I can get RTE 1 fine. I can also get lots of other stations on it no problem.

I also have problems getting the BBC stations on my computer

Has anyone any suggestions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

got the above sorted thanks

Advertisement