Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DD WRT + BT Ireland

Options
  • 05-07-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

having a bit of an issue with the Linksys 54G with the DD WRT fireware.

I want it to connect to BT ireland but I dont have all the options to fill in for the PPPoE.

BT Ireland settings :

Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)
    Multiplexing: LLC-based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

On the setting page on the router I do not have options to fill in for the Broadband service

Anyone have any ideas? or will I just have to do with routing through my zyxel box for the net.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The WRT54G series is a so-called 'cable router' because it does not have an integrated ADSL modem. You need to use the WAN port or use the router as a switch having connected it to an ADSL router.

I'm not familiar with the Zyxel so don't know of its capabilities. I'm sure someone will come along who is though :pac: Have you tried connecting the Zyxel to the WAN port of the Linksys or one of the four ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If you go into Setup > Basic Setup there's a drop down menu beside Connection Type. Change that to PPPoE and you can fill in the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If you go into Setup > Basic Setup there's a drop down menu beside Connection Type. Change that to PPPoE and you can fill in the details.
    Running Tomato on mine it works as above. DD WRT should be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

I seen that option on the connection type and I can change the drop down box to PPPoE but there are no option to allow me to change the other setting like

multiplexing
    VPI or VCI.

maybe running tomato on the Linksys instead will let me work it.
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

abakan wrote: »
    Hi all,

having a bit of an issue with the Linksys 54G with the DD WRT fireware.

I want it to connect to BT ireland but I dont have all the options to fill in for the PPPoE.

BT Ireland settings :

Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)
    Multiplexing: LLC-based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

On the setting page on the router I do not have options to fill in for the Broadband service

Anyone have any ideas? or will I just have to do with routing through my zyxel box for the net.
    The WRT54g does not have an Rj11 port nor does it have a modem built in thus you cannot directly connect it to the telephone line. You will need a modem or another router with a modem built in acting in bridging mode. It is in the modem (or other router with a modem built in acting in bridging mode) that the VPI and VCI etc are set. So in your case set the zyxel to bridging mode (or whatever it is called) and let your WRT54G control the connection and routing (the zyxel will only act as a modem then).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

abakan wrote: »
    maybe running tomato on the Linksys instead will let me work it.
    It'll work with DD-WRT, you'll only need to put in your username and password in DD-WRT. Like Axer said, set the Zyxel as a bridge and the Linksys will do the connecting through that. I'm running DD-WRT on a Buffalo router through a bridged Zyxel and it's working fine. I have used a Linksys (running DD-WRT) previously and that worked fine too.

Advertisement