Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know where to get 6x6 timber posts (square)

Options
  • 05-07-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Looking for maybe 3-4 depending on the lenght, anybody know of a timber merchant that carries them? I've tried loads but can only source 4x4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Kingaa, the stuff I suggested to you included 6 x 6 because that was what seemed to be on the web site you listed, and because with the design you had in mind 6 x 6 looked better. However, 4 x 4 should do just as well. It's not a strength issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

ART6 wrote: »
    Kingaa, the stuff I suggested to you included 6 x 6 because that was what seemed to be on the web site you listed, and because with the design you had in mind 6 x 6 looked better. However, 4 x 4 should do just as well. It's not a strength issue.

Do you think 4x4 will be enough even after being planed? Art, I also meant to ask you - after placing the threaded rod into the uprights, how would I combat splitting? I would prefer the 6x6 even if its just for the look but if you thing 4x4 would be strong enough. I am amazed at how hard they are to source though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

6x6 is not a standard size and hence will be very hard if not impossible to source.
    Possibly your best bet would be to contact a person with either a chainsaw or bandsaw mill (woodmizer).
    They could mill you some 6x6's.
    4x4 is more common especially for fence posts.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    6x6 is not a standard size and hence will be very hard if not impossible to source.
    Possibly your best bet would be to contact a person with either a chainsaw or bandsaw mill (woodmizer).
    They could mill you some 6x6's.
    4x4 is more common especially for fence posts.

CJ, these are actually for support uprights for a permanent canopy running off the gable end of a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

6" x 6" should be available, have you tried Clonee Samills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kingaaa wrote: »
    CJ, these are actually for support uprights for a permanent canopy running off the gable end of a house.
    I know, I read the thread, what I was saying is that 4x4 is a far more common size of timber than 6x6, and that it is used extensively for fence post supports.
    I have several 4m lengths of 100x100 planed which I intend on using for a lean-to to store firewood on my shed.
    4x4 is strong stuff when you consider it is being used where wood is strongest in compression.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I know, I read the thread, what I was saying is that 4x4 is a far more common size of timber than 6x6, and that it is used extensively for fence post supports.
    I have several 4m lengths of 100x100 planed which I intend on using for a lean-to to store firewood on my shed.
    4x4 is strong stuff when you consider it is being used where wood is strongest in compression.

sorry CJ, when I read "fence post" in your reply I assumed you thought thats what they were for. I've just got a reply from kellys sawmills, they stock 8 foot lenghts of 6x6 @28.75 each, so problem solved I think.

Advertisement