Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do YOU think is a Dublin icon?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

How come no one has mentioned the Phoenix Park with all its beautiful monuments and sights.

.Árus an Uachtaráin
    .The Zoo
    .Papal Cross
    .Wellington Monument

Just a few to name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Leinster House
    Wood Quay :pac:
    Grafton Street
    Switzers Window display at Christmas (anyone, no?)
    Phoenix Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Most of the big old buildings, leinster house, custom house etc are Victorian and to me could easily be London so not that distinctive, so to me, Guinnness or the bridges, especially the Ha'penny bridge for me along with the tart with the cart :D

I would also add that the Temple Bar or Oliver St john Gogerty's are also inconic in that they are what most visitors think of when they think of a Dublin pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

55147861_134fc6433c.jpg?v=0

20070413092033_ireland%202007%201363.jpg

2260159541_4c233b2ea8.jpg?v=0

192062352_5fbba7cea9.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

The doors and fanlights of the Georgian houses.

Double deckers.

The GPO.

Great pics there Mairt of Poolbeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Has to be the view of the Ulster bank,everyone knows the banks own this country:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm with the pigeon house chimneys. Big erection designed by a woman.

Shelterlow.jpg

shelter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

poolbeg definitely
    also oscar wilde in merrion square
    and the famine statues on the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

dubtom wrote: »
    Has to be the view of the Ulster bank,everyone knows the banks own this country:D
    Ok most people are under the impression that that building is Ulster bank. Not so.
    Ulster bank is the smaller curved one with the sign in front of those pyramid-topped towers. I used to work on one of the top floors of that georges quay plaza complex. (had a corner windows desk and all ;)) Its actually a completely different building, with each floor rented or sold as office space for various companies. Ulster bank were just very clever, because they have a V shaped building surrounding it on the front and side, with their logo on the top and everybody thinks its massive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This scrumptious beauty is identified in most regions of the world as being Dublin. 59357.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

These pieces of crap?

Dublin City Council think these are iconic enough to put their logo on them.

Image039.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MadsL wrote: »
    These pieces of crap?

Dublin City Council think these are iconic enough to put their logo on them.[/UNQOUTE]

You all ready have a thread running with this stuff, why bring it up in another?.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It's what DCC are touting as their Dublin icon...'a civic communication network'

Thread is about Dublin Icons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The thread title emphasises YOU, meaning you, not DCC. Unless, you are DCC? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Well put Windsock!! :D And love the lamp pics - great idea!

It's interesting to see what different people see as iconic to them. Some great pics there - thanks all!

Advertisement