Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid and Lazy... help

Options
  • 05-07-2008 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

I'm too stupid to understand the minefield of Grpahics cards specs.....

I'm too lazy to read throught any more threads, i'm getting highly confused...

Long story short. I built my new rig, spent a fortune on the OS and am still using a modded 7800GTX i got a few years ago..

I'm planning on getting a nice 24" monitor by the end of summer (if you can call it that!) so i'd like to keep it under €250 if possible... but will go higher if justified. I'm in no huge rush, just like upgrading, but this is my weakness....

With this little piece of news, i'm hoping to see GPU's drop in price, but when? Should i wait....

Mostly games and a little bit of video editing/encoding

here be what i gots so far...

Vista Ultimate 64bit,
    Antec Performance One P180 Miditower,
    Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS,
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX WiFi, nForce-680i SLI,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz,
    2x OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT,
    Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler,
    GeForce 7800GTX (512),
    Zalman VGA Cooler VF700-Cu,
    Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2,
    Sony SDMHS75PB (1280x1024),

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Well I have read all the threads and the Ati HD4870 is the best value for money gpu available at the moment. Available from around €205 upwards depending on where you shop. I've even bought one, and i game on a 24' monitor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If you are getting a 24" moniter, waiting for the 1GB 4870 might be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

If you are getting a 24" moniter, waiting for the 1GB 4870 might be a good idea.

Im not so sure it'll matter, what with the GDDR5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nope, not really, I got 24' and it maxes everything except Crysis which i get steady 30fps with all at high settings & no aa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Happy to take your advice, i'm now left with only two chioces

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=55H7&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=hd4870&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0#specifications

or

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=355023&view=links#ProductTabs

Komplett suits as i have an account already and i've never had issue, but i've never heard of HIS......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It really dosent matter which one you get. HIS do not make the cards, the most they do is add a custom cooler on them. All the cards as made in the same fab, and then rebadged. Look out for stuff like HDMI cables, games and warrenty to seal the deal.

Just found this on komplett, dunno how i missed it earlier......

I have one last supid question. My motherboard has an Nvidia chipset, will this cause any issue with an ATI graphics card

Ru wrote: »
    Just found this on komplett, dunno how i missed it earlier......

I have one last supid question. My motherboard has an Nvidia chipset, will this cause any issue with an ATI graphics card

It *shouldnt*, but its one of those things that *could* cause kinks if there was a bug in the bios or something. 99% of the time, it shouldnt make any difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Nah you will be fine.

• Advertisement

grand so, i've bought it.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

4870 is a great card.got rid of my 2x8800gtxs and got one. Also dumping my crap nvidia board for the intel x48.
    some ppl have expressed worries about the fan speeds which only runs at 11% upto 100c.
    If you like download the latest driver from 3dguru.com and
    come back on this thread on how to create ATI profiles for your card and set different fan speeds..easy as pie :D

Advertisement