Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Africa

• 05-07-2008 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

For next summer I have plans forming in my mind. I would love to do the i to i or Suas thing in Tanzania THEN travel to Madacasgar then South Africa (preferably Durban & Cape Town).

Can anyone tell me what is Madacasgar like in terms of safeness/costs?

Same with SA, has it become unsafe in recent years?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

all I can say is: don't use i-to-i. They have waaaay to much money. They send me glossy mags and leaflets the whole time and charge stupid prices for their "amazing adventures". I wonder how much is getting thru to the poor village folks of Jimbamjumbum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Cape town was amazing loved it and very safe just do the normal safe things you would do on any holiday. And sure if you feel nervous in an area do what i did get drunk everything was fine then :)
    But really was grand just stick to tourist areas.

I used www.2by2holidays.co.uk have good info on there site and might help with ideas. Helpfull staff too

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

Madagascar is one of the most interesting countries in the world, especialy if you are into wildlife. Great music too. It deserves at least a month, as overland travel can be slow.
    In my experience it is very safe, certainly nothing compared to Nairobi or j'Burg. Very little hassle in Tana, and none elsewhere.
    It is not cheap, and you'll need to speak some French to travel independently.
    I agree with above poster regardng i-2-i. If you want to volunteer, try and organise something locally on the ground yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Any feedback on SUAS projects in Africa anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I went to Ethiopia for a month in July last summer with Camara. They are a Dublin based charity who collect and refurbish computers to be sent out to Africa. They send volunteers to Ethiopia Kenya Zambia Uganda Tanzania LeSotho Rwanda every year to teach anyone and everyone how to use the PC's. I loved every minute of it and would definitely do it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I was just wondering too, feedback on SUAS. And is it possible to go travelling afterwards (I won't be able to afford much), as I want to go to Lesotho. Is it possible to go to Lesotho with Camara?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

TimAy wrote: »
    I went to Ethiopia for a month in July last summer with Camara. They are a Dublin based charity who collect and refurbish computers to be sent out to Africa. They send volunteers to Ethiopia Kenya Zambia Uganda Tanzania LeSotho Rwanda every year to teach anyone and everyone how to use the PC's. I loved every minute of it and would definitely do it again

Can you fill us in a bit more on your experiences TimAy, costs, age groups, possibilty of onward travel, accommodation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dsup

I just got back from 3 weeks in Swaziland and SA. I flew into Johannesburg and then flew to Swaziland, staying with friends. We visited Kruger, and also St Lucia World Heritage site just north or Durban. SA is an interesting place, its easy to go there and have a very insulated, comfortable trip if you only go to the high end resorts, but there is inequality everywhere.

Crime is always a factor also, in cities mainly, but rural areas also. You just take precautions, like keep your windows up when going through cities, and dont drive at dark.

Cape town is supposed to be naturally beautiful, but again, its a major resort so its going to be insulated from the "authentic" african experience, i suppose its all down to what kind of experience you want to get.

Advertisement