Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BROS acting up.

• 05-07-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I've had an 88 Bros for a few weeks now, really clean with 50k on it. It's been running perfectly except for a bit of a clunk when shifting, opening and closing the throttle. I reckon thats just the cush rubbers need replacing, i'll sort that soon.
    Anyway, on my way to work this mornin, stopped at the lights, it cut out on me. First time this happened and the bike was warmed up. When i started it and pulled off it was misfiring (i think, i'm fairly new to bikes and engines in general), The revs were high but power was up and down, especially in 1st & 2nd gear.
    Any Bros heads wanna hazzard a guess at this one?
    I'm gonna bring it back to the dealer but I really cant afford to be without it for the next 2 days and I wanna learn how to diagnose these things.
    Would I be doin any harm by driving it in this state, maybe giving it a bit o choke now and then?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds like a cylinder cutting in and out.
    Almost always electrical and a fault on the high tension side.
    The first step would be to change the spark plugs and see if that cures it.
    Then check the HT leads and plug caps
    After that, connections to the coils, and the coils themselves.

Does this happen only in wet weather - could be spray hitting the front cylinder's spark plug. Common on SV650s although the front cylinder is a lot more exposed on that bike.
    Might be worth getting a front mudguard extender, anyway.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have two of these bikes and one previous, the fuel pumps are notorious for giving trouble and packing in. There is a mechanic in Harold’s X who is an expert on these bikes and has a fast turn around as he deals with Couriers.(Stephen from former Megabikes) Fuel pumps are not cheap, Genuine about 250 and spurious about half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ronan3345

cheers lads. Cleaned the carbs and replaced the air filter (well overdue by the looks of it). it's running fine now. I also changed the cush drive rubbers, this had a huge effect on the whole feel of the bike.
    Hopefully it's problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

What are cush drive rubbers?

Can you take a pick and circle them?

Please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ronan3345

Sorry Magown, I've no camera.

Cush drive rubbers are to absorb some of the force on the back wheel when the throttle is applied. Check it on google, I know fireblades and Bros's have them, not too sure what other bikes have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement