Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone allowed my child to Fry

Options
  • 05-07-2008 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

:mad:

After almost 8 years I have managed to ensure my daughter has never gotten sun-burned. 8 long years of grease, stained clothes and expensive creams...

...then she goes on a Summer Camp day trip to the beach and comes home roasted.

So about 100 kids, about 50 adults and NO-ONE thought these kids might burn??:rolleyes:

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

That's ridiculous... Don't blame you being so annoyed.. There are some people that still have the mentality, ah sure its Ireland, we won't burn and they only use sun cream abroad:confused:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

I guess a lesson to us all....don't assume anything (that those in charge all have their head screwed on)

hope the little'un is ok :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks, she'll be ok, its just horrible to see her wincing with the pain of it. I think it may be starting to blister. :(

I wouldn't mind but I was laughing packing her bag: swimsuit/warm jumper/suncream/raincoat/sunglasses/warm socks/sun-hat/hood for raincoat. The typical Irish summer preparations!

I knew that maybe they wouldn't be able to actually apply the cream on her, but she's well able to do it herself, but would need to be told to do so. Or even if they just told them to put a t-shirt on or cover up. They were told to bring swimsuits, which was fairly pointless as she knows not to swim in the sea unless I'm with her, so she was just paddling and playing in the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Question has to be asked, why didnt you put suncream on her in the morning?

You knew she was going to the beach.

Not trolling, just asking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oh no!!! Maybe you should wrap her up in bubblewrap so no more harm comes to her? While you're at it, go and talk to a solicitor about taking legal action.

If she knows not to swim unless you're with her, why doesn't she know to put on suncream without being told to do so?

I think you're over reacting slightly to something which was inevitable at some stage in her life!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Why did you not apply the suncream in the morning? It almost certainly would be against their child protection policy to apply suncream on the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Suncream wears off during the day and has to be reapplied, maybe she did put it on her that morning, and it wore off.

OP, it was going to happen sometime in her life, might as well be when she is young so she can get used to it and when she is older she'll be more aware to put suncream on so as not to get burned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Suncream wears off during the day and has to be reapplied, maybe she did put it on her that morning, and it wore off.

No it dont.

P20 Once-A-Day Sunfilter perphaps, like Sarah says you cant have up to " 50 adults " applying suncream on children not of their own.That would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

OP, it was going to happen sometime in her life, might as well be when she is young so she can get used to it and when she is older she'll be more aware to put suncream on so as not to get burned.

there is also protection you can take in tablet form that will last all day...

blaming "someone" else for your child not wearing suncream...

what next..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

God remember when we had good summers in the 80's when we were kids and had no money for sun screen!

As a proud mammy to an 18 week old I find it hard trying to put on the approrpriate clothing on in this schizophrenic weather never mind the factor 50 when the sun appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Sorry was going to say the same. You cant blame someone else here. You shoudl have made sure she had some on before she left. You maybe should have reminded your daughter about the sun screen maybe too, ok she was playing and stuff..she might be repsonsbile enough..and would have felt her skin getting hot/burning?

Try the p20..its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP: would you prefer some old guy rubbed sun cream all over your child?

I ask, as that is what it boils down to. Unless the child does it themselves, I'd say most adults who are not the parents wouldn't touch the child, in fear of being called a pedo.

Morning all. Thanks for your lovely comments, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that we have such an understanding Parenting community here on Boards.

No, I'm not going to sue.
    No, I didn't put suncream on her in the morning as she was going to the beach in the afternoon.
    No, I don't wrap her in bubble wrap.
    No. I didn't expect anyone to be allowed to put cream on her.
    No, funnily enough she's not likely to put suncream on herself unprompted.
    No, she wouldn't have felt herself burning as she has never burnt before and wouldn't know the consequences. She does now.

To those who didn't jump on their high horses, thanks, and I must find the once-a-day stuff, even if its not totally effective it would be better than nothing. Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

sueme wrote: »
    No. I didn't expect anyone to be allowed to put cream on her.

Sooo, you didn't expect anyone to be allowed put suncream on her and you knew she wouldn't do it herself?

I see, so that would make all this your fault wouldn't it? So, the title of the thread should be...

''I allowed my child to fry - but i'll blame everyone else''

As I said here:
    I knew that maybe they wouldn't be able to actually apply the cream on her, but she's well able to do it herself, but would need to be told to do so. Or even if they just told them to put a t-shirt on or cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I would hope that years down the road if I sent my lad to a summer camp that I could rely on someone to apply suncream on a hot day without having to think that a load of paedos are on that day trip.

As I said in my last post about having no sunscreen in the 80's, that didnt apply to the once yearly trip to the beach where we were all slathered with it.

I think you are perfectly right to be angry as an adult they were in the care of should have ensured all kids had some sort of sunscreen.

Hope your little one is over the pain now but as said above that it wont happen her again as she will ensure she has sunscreen applied.

Nea wrote: »
    I would hope that years down the road if I sent my lad to a summer camp that I could rely on someone to apply suncream on a hot day without having to think that a load of paedos are on that day trip.

I doubt it, strangely enough though, her school have applied sunscreen to her, but her playschool couldn't.
    As I said in my last post about having no sunscreen in the 80's, that didnt apply to the once yearly trip to the beach where we were all slathered with it.

In my neck of the woods in the 80's the parents thought it was GREAT if the kids got sunburned! "You'll have luverly tan after that burning Little Johnny..."
    I think you are perfectly right to be angry as an adult they were in the care of should have ensured all kids had some sort of sunscreen.

This is my point, I'm not expecting them to do anything other than keep her safe. Surely one of the adults most have thought "Hey, its a little hot, lets get the kids to put their t-shirts on." They actually provide t-shirts and sun hats, so all the kids had them. My girl isn't particularly fair, so I'd imagine there's a lot of kids in a worse state than her.
    Hope your little one is over the pain now but as said above that it wont happen her again as she will ensure she has sunscreen applied.

She's much better this morning thanks. Yup, she learned the hard way. I think she understands now all the years of me bugging her saying "C'mere I've to put cream on you." :)

She's going through the wars at the moment, she fell last night and scraped/bruised her back, the day before she got her toe caught in a door and lifted her big toenail (ewwww), a girl pushed her over playing and she cut open her knee, and to top it off, she shut a drawer on her finger.

Maybe I will get that bubble wrap...

EDIT: Congratulations on your little one Nea!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

She's going through the wars at the moment, she fell last night and scraped/bruised her back, the day before she got her toe caught in a door and lifted her big toenail (ewwww), a girl pushed her over playing and she cut open her knee, and to top it off, she shut a drawer on her finger.

Maybe I will get that bubble wrap...

LOL...sorry sueme , I know this isn't funny but for some reason it is. that is a real run of bad luck.

One of ours got a nasty burn a few weeks ago. He was only out in it for less than 3 mins and it wasn't even sunny. More of a wind burn maybe as it was very overcast. His whole face turned bright red later on that evening. Aloe vera did the trick though. He didnt even notice it as he was only 6 months old but it gave us one hell of a fright. Since then it was been sun block every time we go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

How old is the child? If she is very small you put the stuff on her then pack the tube in her little bag and tell the person to whom you pass the child to that the sun cream is in her bag.

If, after that she comes home sunburnt then you bitch about it. The child is YOUR responsibility and that goes for knowing who to trust.

Has the child resumed summer camp?

Heinrich wrote: »
    How old is the child?
    Stated in opening post. Did you read it?
    If she is very small you put the stuff on her then pack the tube in her little bag
    Done.
    and tell the person to whom you pass the child to that the sun cream is in her bag.
    Done.
    If, after that she comes home sunburnt then you bitch about it.
    Done.
    The child is YOUR responsibility and that goes for knowing who to trust.
    I am fully aware she is MY responsibility thank you. I trusted a government funded child-care organisation to ensure she would be kept safe to the best of their ability.
    Why? How is that relevant?

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Heinrich
    The child is YOUR responsibility and that goes for knowing who to trust.
    I am fully aware she is MY responsibility thank you. I trusted a government funded child-care organisation to ensure she would be kept safe to the best of their ability.

Originally Posted by Heinrich
    Why? How is that relevant?

It would be relevant if you sent her back for more sunburning.

The child is eight years old and should be well able to smear some lotion on herself after all the harangueing you were doing over the years...

Anybody watching a kid applying sunblock would immediately assist the child. There are other children besides your bubblewrapkid to be looked after. You do have the ultimate responsibility for your child.

I have been looking after children for a good many more years that you I'm sure and none of my charges have ever come to any harm.:rolleyes:

It would be relevant if you sent her back for more sunburning.

Really?
    The child is eight years old and should be well able to smear some lotion on herself after all the harangueing you were doing over the years...
    Again if you had read the thread, I said she is well able to do so.
    Anybody watching a kid applying sunblock would immediately assist the child.

Unfortunately not the case.

There are other children besides your bubblewrapkid to be looked after.

Less of the personal abuse please.

You do have the ultimate responsibility for your child.

I agree. Where have I disputed this?
    I have been looking after children for a good many more years that you I'm sure

How are you sure?
    and none of my charges have ever come to any harm.:rolleyes:

Which is generally what is expected of child-care workers, like the ones I sent my child to.

I really don't get your point. Or your use of ":rolleyes:".

Falling off high horses is even more painful than sunburn! I think you should simmer down a little. You say the child is well able to apply sunblock. I would say the contrary as she did get burned.

Yes I am certain that my charges never came to harm as they are now healthy adults and the have told me so themselves. Two of them look after theirs and one 5 year actually brushes her teeth without having to be told to do so. She does her little summer camp with stuff smeared all over her and does not come home burnt.:P

Falling off high horses is even more painful than sunburn! I think you should simmer down a little. You say the child is well able to apply sunblock. I would say the contrary as she did get burned.

Yes I am certain that my charges never came to harm as they are now healthy adults and the have told me so themselves. Two of them look after theirs and one 5 year actually brushes her teeth without having to be told to do so. She does her little summer camp with stuff smeared all over her and does not come home burnt.:P

To be honest I can't be bothered to quote and pull you up on each of your incorrect points. You really need to read entire threads before making such accusations, and attempting to use such patronising tones. It makes you look a little foolish.

If, after reading the entire thread you still feel I am wrong, please quote the point you disagree with and I will be happy to debate it with you.

I certainly never looked foolish to any child or parent which I looked after! Never had sunburnt kids either, thats what the foolish sunhats were for.

There is not much to discuss but leaving aside my patronising I think you are over protective of your child in a wrong way. Put sunblock on her when she goes out in the sun and stop relying on others to do so. In fact she should be doing this herself and believe if she was the tube would be empty after every outing.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There is not much to discuss but leaving aside my patronising I think you are over protective of your child in a wrong way. Put sunblock on her when she goes out in the sun and stop relying on others to do so. In fact she should be doing this herself and believe if she was the tube would be empty after every outing.
    :rolleyes:

HA HA HA...and to think YOU were accusing Sueme of being on a high horse!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

facts are:

1: children burn easier than adults (and it is suggested that burning in early years can lead to skin problems in later life

2: if I was an adult in charge of children I would consider ALL dangers to them and eliminate them ....I do not think it too much to at least expect the people in charge ask the kids to apply suncream to their necks, arms and faces themselves if the weather was warm. (I;m not suggesting you allow the kid to be lathered 'all over' in cream by an 'old man' as someone suggested....that is a ridiculous comment)

kids will at some stage burn...very high chance of that as skin very prone ....and that is why I believe carers would have a duty of care to at least ask the children to cover up / apply cream to themselves .....mum has a responsibility to provide cream and all necessities for the trip......she should be able to rely upon those in charge to apply some common sense if weather dictates....if it rained would the carers demand the kids put on raincoats?...yes they would

yes we should accept these things are sometimes inevitable (child could have refused to apply cream or lied about it) - but I don't think it too much to expect those in charge of our children to have common sense....if it was their children I can pretty much guarantee they would have been covered up / suncreamed, and if not they would be accused of being irresponsible parents allowing their young children to burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Even adults can forget to apply suncream to themselves, so I wouldn't be surprise if a child also forgot. But I would hope though that someone minding kids on a hot day would check each kids had cream on them. But there again it would be wasy to miss one kid out of 50.

Ludo wrote: »
    HA HA HA...and to think YOU were accusing Sueme of being on a high horse!!!

I'm not the one bitchin'.:D

Now if the trend of blaming others agrees with you then don't let me spoil your equestrian pleasures.

• Advertisement

@ Boston - This is the thing, it seems none of the kids were protected. In my opinion, its a fairly basic thing a carer needs to be aware of, along with crossing roads, seatbelts etc etc. The suncream thing is a hot topic (lol), but as I said stick a t-shirt and hat on and work away.

She's just had a bath (a cool one!) and the poor thing looks a wreck, with all the bruises, cuts and sunburn.

And we're off out for the day now, God knows what awaits us out there! :p Wish us luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement