Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone allowed my child to Fry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 littlemissbusy

My opinion; the child is 8 years old. She was in the care of adults on her trip to the beach, they should have ensured that she applied the sun cream. I help out with my son's school a lot when they go on outings and I have also worked in a summer camp type setting until quite recently. I personally as a responsible adult when out (with my own or other children in my care) make sure that the children all have suncream on and remind them every 2 hours or so to reapply. It's not that hard to do. My son who is nearly 11, now knows that day trips mean sun cream I have always been very particular about this being very fair skinned, but it's really only this year that he would actually reapply suncream of his own accord without reminding because he is aware of the health dangers. At 8 years old I would I imagine that Play, fun, excitment of trip was top of your child's agenda that day I'm not surprised your angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You know what gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I don't log into boards for 24 hours and come back to see this charming thread, out of all the forum's I happen to mod maybe I am expecting too much to think that parents would behave in an adult fashion and abide by the rules of the forum.

If your child is to be in the care of someone else you need to know what is and is not permissible under the child protection act which they much act with in the bounds of at all times.

Parents have to take responsiblity and check with those they leave thier children with about such things as suncream, parents to be sure they think about what may happen and raise the topic before hand.

My 7 years old will ask for sunscreen to be but on and can use the spray bottle her self.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

I think you're over reacting slightly to something which was inevitable at some stage in her life!!

Well I dont, if you knew some one who died as a result of skin cancer from sun burn (at 28 years of age!!) Then you would feel the same way. What iresponsible people didn't tell the kids to put on sun cream, disgrace, and unbelievable ignorance in this day and age. I'm sure the child will be fine, but these risks should not be taken, and every burn is one step closer to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

a perfectly acceptable assumption that those in charge of children take care of the children is nothing to do with getting on your high horse blaming others......

as I mentioned before if it rained would the carers demand kids protect themselves or would they let them run around and get soaked through before sending em home to mum and dad? I am simply applying the same logic - it is a simple case of those in charge forgetting the sun in Ireland can be just as harmful as anywhere else and forgetting they should have made sure kids covered themselves either wear a hat / suncream.

I am not looking for recriminations towards those in charge but simply implying they should have been more responsibe - by the sounds of it the ratio of kids to adults was probably too high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You what gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I don't log into boards for 24 hours and come back to see this charming thread, out of all the forum's I happen to mod maybe I am expecting too much to think that parents would behave in an adult fashion and abide by the rules of the forum.

not sure what rules are breached here? please advise what is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

snellers wrote: »
    as I mentioned before if it rained would the carers demand kids protect themselves or would they let them run around and get soaked through before sending em home to mum and dad?

I think that is a very valid point snellers. I have to agree with what you have posted.

I would be disappointed if my child was away with one of her clubs and they neglected to ensure that she was adequately protected for the day.

Anyhow, I hope she is ok!!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ghost Girl wrote: »
    Well I dont,

Congratulations.
    Ghost Girl wrote: »
    if you knew some one who died as a result of skin cancer from sun burn (at 28 years of age!!) Then you would feel the same way. What iresponsible people didn't tell the kids to put on sun cream, disgrace, and unbelievable ignorance in this day and age. I'm sure the child will be fine, but these risks should not be taken, and every burn is one step closer to death.

Morbid much?

I just fail to see what good it is to complain about something so trivial on a message board, especially when you blame others.

Yep, she got burned, guess what? she'll probably get burned again... She may even fall off her bike:eek: That's it! No bikes for her.

Scraped knees? No way hosay.. Boys? Not my girl, she wouldn't do such a thing. :rolleyes:

Really, it's all pretty pointless.

Congratulations.

Do you even have kids?

Quality wrote: »
    Do you even have kids?
    You mean, apart from being one?

You mean, apart from being one?

That clears up a lot for me,

Thanks.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Ludo wrote: »
    LOL...sorry sueme , I know this isn't funny but for some reason it is. that is a real run of bad luck.

It gets worse Ludo. Yesterday I got her to pick Lotto numbers for the first time, she was all excited, convinced we were going to win :p. I lost the ticket. :eek: Judging by her run of bad luck at the mo' its bound to be a winning ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Do you even have kids?

heh parent's always pull this out...

you don't need to be a parent to have a bit of common sense...

but it's an idea to have some common sense before you have kids (they won't bring any with them)

"you're child is setting himself on fire love"

"do you even have kids!!!"

ntlbell wrote: »
    heh parent's always pull this out...

you don't need to be a parent to have a bit of common sense...

...and you don't need to look under a bridge to find a troll.

Plus even people with kids don't exactly set the right examples, Quality, i'm looking in your direction here.

And no, i don't have kids. And if i did, i wouldn't be here bitching about something so minor, instead i would explain to my child that this is what happens when you don't put lotion on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Nea wrote: »
    I would hope that years down the road if I sent my lad to a summer camp that I could rely on someone to apply suncream on a hot day without having to think that a load of paedos are on that day trip.

You have a lot to learn, our school won't even apply a PLASTER to a child if they are bleeding for fear of being sued. And people do sue !!!! And if you get the name of being a pedo, well no-one will believe otherwise. So don't blame the organisers. I agree it's ridiculous but that's the Ireland of the 100000 welcomes we live in.

My opinion; the child is 8 years old. She was in the care of adults on her trip to the beach, they should have ensured that she applied the sun cream. I help out with my son's school a lot when they go on outings and I have also worked in a summer camp type setting until quite recently. I personally as a responsible adult when out (with my own or other children in my care) make sure that the children all have suncream on and remind them every 2 hours or so to reapply. It's not that hard to do. My son who is nearly 11, now knows that day trips mean sun cream I have always been very particular about this being very fair skinned, but it's really only this year that he would actually reapply suncream of his own accord without reminding because he is aware of the health dangers. At 8 years old I would I imagine that Play, fun, excitment of trip was top of your child's agenda that day I'm not surprised your angry.

Maybe they did tell her and she forgot?

Plus even people with kids don't exactly set the right examples, Quality, i'm looking in your direction here.

And no, i don't have kids. And if i did, i wouldn't be here bitching about something so minor, instead i would explain to my child that this is what happens when you don't put lotion on.

If you don't have kids yourself you don't have a clue .... Fact.

Post reported. No need for this at all.

sueme wrote: »
    ...and you don't need to look under a bridge to find a troll.

Post reported..

I'm making a very valid point, before I had my own kids i was unable to comment on anyone else's parentig because "you don't even have kids!"

Now I have kids, I can be smug and comment on anyone else's parenting..

even tho I still don't have a clue! it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

SarahMc wrote: »
    Why did you not apply the suncream in the morning? It almost certainly would be against their child protection policy to apply suncream on the children.

Would it really be against the child protection policy, and your safe in that knowledge. They cannot apply suncream to a child. God some people. Very sad and No wonder she got sunburnt.

Ever heard of spray on sun cream.You dont think they are going to let some kid burn because of a people like you. They would be authorised to apply suncream if required and they should have ensured the child did not get sunburnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is it just me, or has this forum gone to complete sh*t in the last few weeks? The amount of trolling and pointless arguing is gone mad. People can't seem to just give their opinion on something without being rude and insulting.

Some people need to learn some basic manners. Just because you are posting on an anonymous forum is no excuse for ignorance.

Mods need to step up here or this forum will be a waste of space. In fact, of the four mods on this forum, there is only one I have seen on here recently that I know of. Are the others gone inactive?

professore wrote: »
    You have a lot to learn, our school won't even apply a PLASTER to a child if they are bleeding for fear of being sued. And people do sue !!!! And if you get the name of being a pedo, well no-one will believe otherwise. So don't blame the organisers. I agree it's ridiculous but that's the Ireland of the 100000 welcomes we live in.

The issue isn't just that the children were not told to apply suncream, but even if they had been told to just cover up.

And in actual fact I would rather she was enjoying herself and doing kid stuff on the beach than worrying about about whether she needs to re-apply her sun-cream. That's a grown-ups job for another while.

I've had to leave work before to go to school and apply a plaster to her knee. :rolleyes: I blame the church for all this carry-on... :D

Lord above this is all very silly. If it was my daughter, I'd tell her to grow up.

I suppose when Magicmarker has a child.....

It wont cry. Wont have a soother. It will sleep 10 hours a night from 2 weeks. It will never be cheeky. Draw on the walls with marker. Get sunburned.

The woman who nurtures the child in her womb for him, will be on a special diet made up by the finest dietician in the country. She will be secured in a chamber breathing pure oxygen in order not to have any harmful oxidants enter her body. she will drink and wash herself in Evian water.

She will adhere to a strict fitness routine, Play mozart to her baby and the child will be born naturally with no pain relief in the safest way possible.

In everyway everything Magicmarker does will be perfect... The perfect child.

So ladies and gentleman the point I am trying to get across is that We should all look to him for advise now. Because he seems to know it all.

I suppose when Magicmarker has a child.....

It wont cry. Wont have a soother. It will sleep 10 hours a night from 2 weeks. It will never be cheeky. Draw on the walls with marker. Get sunburned.

The woman who nurtures the child in her womb for him, will be on a special diet made up by the finest dietician in the country. She will be secured in a chamber breathing pure oxygen in order not to have any harmful oxidants enter her body. she will drink and wash herself in Evian water.

She will adhere to a strict fitness routine, Play mozart to her baby and the child will be born naturally with no pain relief in the safest way possible.

In everyway everything Magicmarker does will be perfect... The perfect child.

So ladies and gentleman the point I am trying to get across is that We should all look to him for advise now. Because he seems to know it all.

he's not claiming to know all, he's asking for a bit of perspective and a bit of common sense, not much to ask considering your "parents" you know everything about kids anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Magicmarker and ntlbell stop trolling/derailing threads this is your last and only warning.

Ludo if you want to raise those concerns please to so in the appropriative place, the feedback forum.

Please use the reported post function and do not allow threads to be derailed by interpersonal sniping.

Magicmarker and ntlbell stop trolling this is your last on only warning.

Ludo if you want to raise those concerns please to so in the appropriative place, the feedback forum.

I'm not trolling at all, I'm making valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

the_syco wrote: »
    OP: would you prefer some old guy rubbed sun cream all over your child?

I ask, as that is what it boils down to. Unless the child does it themselves, I'd say most adults who are not the parents wouldn't touch the child, in fear of being called a pedo.
    It's sad but possibly true. I wouldn't think anything of it but I guess anyone working with children is warned about what's allowed.

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm not trolling at all, I'm making valid points.

No your being smug and commenting on other peoples parenting.

It would be nice to be able to come onto the parenting forum and actually have a bit of support from other parents.

It is not easy bringing up children, we dont have all the answers. I think it is nice that other people can share their points of view, but at the end of the day it is up to the parent to make the decision on what they think is best.

I dont get things right all the time, but I try to come on here and give whatever advice I can in a positive way without coming across smug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

You what gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I don't log into boards for 24 hours and come back to see this charming thread, out of all the forum's I happen to mod maybe I am expecting too much to think that parents would behave in an adult fashion and abide by the rules of the forum.

If your child is to be in the care of someone else you need to know what is and is not permissible under the child protection act which they much act with in the bounds of at all times.

Parents have to take responsiblity and check with those they leave thier children with about such things as suncream, parents to be sure they think about what may happen and raise the topic before hand.

Thaedydal What is the child protection act and who enforces it. The irish statute book and law books dont have reference to it. The EU doesn't have one and athough some countries do, their act might weigh more towards advocating the application of suncream by an authorised person to protect the "physical" safety of the child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement