Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone allowed my child to Fry

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Ludo if you want to raise those concerns please to so in the appropriative place, the feedback forum.

Consider it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Quality wrote: »
    No your being smug and commenting on other peoples parenting.

It would be nice to be able to come onto the parenting forum and actually have a bit of support from other parents.

It is not easy bringing up children, we dont have all the answers. I think it is nice that other people can share their points of view, but at the end of the day it is up to the parent to make the decision on what they think is best.

I dont get things right all the time, but I try to come on here and give whatever advice I can in a positive way without coming across smug.

I wasn't being smug at all, in fact questioning people's opinion based on the fact they don't have kids is being smug, which is what you did in early post.

This is not a support group for parenting, it's for discussion on parenting and sometimes we wont' like what other people have to say regardless of them being parents or not.

I'm not saying the the OP is a bad parent far from it, the sun is something I take very seriously and in fact I wear factor 50 all year round sun or no sun and I'm glad to see the OP is as worried about it as i am, i just think the circumstances in this case don't warrant a whine on the internet nor does it need a gathering of a support group.

No smugness here, just a point of view that doesn't suit the op today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

pirelli wrote: »
    Thaedydal What is the child protection act and who enforces it. The irish statute book and law books dont have reference to it. The EU doesn't have one and athough some countries do, their act might weigh more towards advocating the application of suncream by an authorised person to protect the "physical" safety of the child.

Your gonna be sorry you asked you know. She'll come back with reams upon reams of facts and figures. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

It would be nice to be able to come onto the parenting forum and actually have a bit of support from other parents.

Exactly, I thought that was the point of this forum, having said that we have to remain objective when we receive posts that aren't necessarily in agreement with us. It's the smart arse comments that I find annoying with the ':rolleyes:' at the end that really gets me. Can't the point be made without Judging each other (especially from the non-parents, who are entitled to give their opinions) but Jesus until you have kids yourself you will never know how demanding it can be.. Ok, we all fuck up as parents, as our parents did. I am still learning all the time.

ntlbell wrote: »
    I wasn't being smug at all, in fact questioning people's opinion based on the fact they don't have kids is being smug, which is what you did in early post.

This is not a support group for parenting, it's for discussion on parenting and sometimes we wont' like what other people have to say regardless of them being parents or not.

I'm not saying the the OP is a bad parent far from it, the sun is something I take very seriously and in fact I wear factor 50 all year round sun or no sun and I'm glad to see the OP is as worried about it as i am, i just think the circumstances in this case don't warrant a whine on the internet nor does it need a gathering of a support group.

Why doesn't it deserve a whine on the internet? I felt like ranting as I clearly said in my opening post. I ranted. I wasn't looking for a support group, I wasn't looking for anything in fact, just posting about something which had annoyed me about child care. If you felt it was pointless why did you get so involved? I read a hell of a lot of opening posts on Boards that I find pointless/unnecessary, so I clear off and find something that does interest me.

I read your posts as trolling, others read your posts as trolling, and the mod of this forum read your posts as trolling.

I shall not comment to your posts on this thread anymore as there are warnings about that type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Post reported..

I'm making a very valid point, before I had my own kids i was unable to comment on anyone else's parentig because "you don't even have kids!"

Now I have kids, I can be smug and comment on anyone else's parenting..

even tho I still don't have a clue! it's great!

Your contradicting yourself.

*waves to the Feedbackers*

ibtl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

sueme wrote: »
    Lord above this is all very silly. If it was my daughter, I'd tell her to grow up.

And by the same token if you were mine I would do the same thing! How many children do you have or indeed does it matter? Hmmm...

Heinrich wrote: »
    And by the same token if you were mine I would do the same thing! How many children do you have or indeed does it matter? Hmmm...

This is the second time I've asked you to stop with the personal abuse.

Your contradicting yourself.

No i'm not, now that i have kids I can do what people like you do and go "have you even got kids"

I can be smug, I have kids.

On this thread I wasn't smug

see?

• Advertisement

If you felt it was pointless why did you get so involved? I read a hell of a lot of opening posts on Boards that I find pointless/unnecessary, so I clear off and find something that does interest me.

Out of pure shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

This is the second time I've asked you to stop with the personal abuse.

Read your own post and you will see that I am reiterorating your comment. You are the author of a 5 page nonsensical thread on some rant about your child which the moderartor is not totally in agreement with. Give up while you are ahead.

Do you honestly believe that you are the only parent who knows about children? Different strokes etc.

Now I do not do personal abuse but if you feel the victim of such perhaps some soul searching might help you.

Who's kid got sunburn and better still have you some aloe vera or suitable balm to correct this?

Out of pure shock.

I'm afraid there is only one response to that: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

pirelli wrote: »
    Thaedydal What is the child protection act and who enforces it. The irish statute book and law books dont have reference to it.
    Your gonna be sorry you asked you know. She'll come back with reams upon reams of facts and figures. :D

I doubt it. I doubt it very much considering that there is no child protection act. Phew, I thought Thaedydal was going to bring everyone to court and put us in jail. Seem's she is just burning our little dears to crisp so she can confidentially say that she has never handled a child. I am jealous but free.

I'm afraid there is only one response to that: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Read your own post and you will see that I am reotering your comment. You are the author of a 5 page nonsensical post on some rant about your child which the modeartor is not totally in agreement with. Give up while you are ahead.

Do you honestly believe that you are the only parent who knows about children? Different strokes etc.

Now I do not do personal abuse but if yoy feel the victim of such perhaps some soul searching might help you.

I believe Sueme is perfectly entitled to air a grievance (as she sees it...others dont) and to "have a rant". That is kinda one of the points of boards.ie to be honest.

Not sure how it can be called nonsensical though. Made perfect sense to me. Not sure I agree 100% with the original complaint but that is neither here nor there. Doesnt give me the right to be flippant or dismissive of it.

Read your own post and you will see that I am reotering your comment.
    I don't understand this due to the sp. Please clarify.
    You are the author of a 5 page nonsensical post on some rant about your child which the modeartor is not totally in agreement with.
    I am not the author of a 5 page nonsensical thread, I am the author of the original post. The fact that the mod may not agree with my point is neither here nor there, she is entitled to her opinion on the matter, as am I.
    Give up while you are ahead.
    Give up what?
    Do you honestly believe that you are the only parent who knows about children?
    Absolutly not, and nowhere have I implied that.
    Now I do not do personal abuse
    I beg to differ.
    but if yoy feel the victim of such perhaps some soul searching might help you.
    Lost me there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

charter wrote:
    Please remember that there are many different ways and styles of parenting
    and if you disagree with someone then agree to disagree and keep things civil as per the rules.

Flaming
    - Posts containing personal attacks on another user will lead to warnings/infractions and being banned from this forum.

Off Topic
    - Posts that stray off topic will be edited/deleted, depending on their relevance to the topic at hand.

Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offense if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post. Posting PM's publicly without consent could be met with harsh consequences, especially if they do not have any place in the discussion.

Arguing with a moderator
    - Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc. If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question. They will discuss it with you. You can then, if unsatisfied with the PM route, take things to Feedback.

Reporting Posts
    Any thread or post that contravenes the charter should be reported. When reporting a post, make sure you have good reason. Someone disagreeing with you is not a troll, not all arguments are abusive etc. Abusing this feature is frowned upon. If you report a post, it is always a good idea to say so in a thread. It is not required though, but it does reduce the number of repeated reported posts.

Right let the banning begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ok, to clear this particular point up from a moderating point of view:

A person is entitled to rant or air a grievance on a forum like this, they are not however entitled to control or force a certain kind of response in the thread. By starting a thread you throw it out there and people are entitled to disagree with you or point out where you are wrong etc etc. If someone wants to only have positive messages or wants to censor replies then they can start a blog, a forum by definition will not cater to their needs.

There is trolling going on in this thread but equally there are people feeding the trolls and responding to them. These are both problems and people will get warned and/or banned for both. Trolls hang around in forums because people feed them and the troll can get a rise/reaction out of them. If people keep feeding the trolls they aren't going to go away, so please just ignore them. If someone's comments are genuinely bothering you just put them on ignore and don't read their posts. Reacting to them and arguing with them over pointless things is as much of a disruption as the trolling itself. Please do not do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement