Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1999 Volvo S40 Brake Lights Broken!

Options
  • 05-07-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 1999 S40 2.0 Auto. About two weeks ago, and for no particular reason, the brake lights on the car stopped working. This includes the higher central brake light btw.

I have checked all bulbs and they appear to be fine. I have also checked the fuses and again they are fine too.

During my testing, the lights did come on - but then - just when I thought they were fixed - they would go off and remain off once more.

The car is due to be left in at a main Volvo dealer on Tuesday, but I would rather solve the problem without the huge money I suspect they will ask for!

Could the problem be with a Brake Light Switch? Is there such a thing on this car, and if so, where is it located? Is it possible to be fixed without a computer being attached? Anyone come by loose connections on their S40s before?

Any comments would be great, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The brake light switch is usually under the pedal!
    It is more than likely a common element such as a fuse (double check again!) or the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

kbannon wrote: »
    The brake light switch is usually under the pedal!
    It is more than likely a common element such as a fuse (double check again!) or the switch.

re the pedal, I was thinking that - meant to look again today, but well, the weather arrived here... Will try again.

It's definitely not the fuse. I spent a long time checking them. I'm just hoping that there isn't a loose connection *somewhere* in the car - because what hope would I have of findin it?!

Thanks for the quick reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Might just be a bad contact between bulb and socket (corrosion)

Did you take the offending bulb out and clean the contact points on bulb + socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

unkel wrote: »
    Might just be a bad contact between bulb and socket (corrosion)

Did you take the offending bulb out and clean the contact points on bulb + socket?

I did aye. Was hoping it would be something like - but also, the fact that all three sets of brake lights, left - centre - right, are all not working suggests that it is a fuse/wiring prob?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

superjosh9 wrote: »
    the fact that all three sets of brake lights, left - centre - right, are all not working suggests that it is a fuse/wiring prob?

Ah, missed that they all stopped working together! If you're sure it's not a fuse, it might be a relay? I had a similar intermittent electrical problem recently and it turned out to be a bad contact from a relay

It could of course be a wiring prob, but that's less likely and it might be harder to find and fix...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd stay away from main dealers for a problem like that. Are you in Dublin? If so, bring it to Hamiltons (I seem to say that twice a week!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Try swapping a relay and see if its that failing that its probably the switch

Also fair play to the OP for checking your bulbs i got stuck behind a 05 transit las week and not a brake light working. Not the only one on the Road!!!

Advertisement