Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Mitchelstown to Fermoy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Still loads of signs to go up.

By the way, has anyone noticed how the trees and shrubs planted on the Fermoy Bypass are growing at a super rate this year? Another four or five years and this will look very impressive. The area around the toll plaza will be unrecognisable ten years from now. Lookin' good, I have to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    Still loads of signs to go up.

They'd want to hurry up with it. I reckon there's at least 80 or 90 signs needed. But based on what happened with C-M, the bare minimum will be done (i.e signage at junctions).
    By the way, has anyone noticed how the trees and shrubs planted on the Fermoy Bypass are growing at a super rate this year? Another four or five years and this will look very impressive. The area around the toll plaza will be unrecognisable ten years from now. Lookin' good, I have to say...

I wasn't thinking specifically of the toll plaza, but I noticed the bypass as a whole seemed a whole lot nicer than usual on Tuesday. Next time I'm passing, I'll make sure to take a good look, maybe even a snap or two (although it's very difficult to look inconspicuous with a camera while driving through a toll plaza!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Dunno if this has been noted yet but the new N8/M8 sections are now on Gmaps. However, they've ignored the redesignations - only the originally planned motorway stretch, from Cullahill to Urlingford, is shown as motorway.

And the Fermoy Bypass is still shown as N8 (though in blue), despite opening as a motorway on day 1. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some massaging of dates in work means my call was moved to Tuesday - get to drive it both ways :D

Does this officially make me a road geek now, though? :(

MYOB wrote: »
    Does this officially make me a road geek now, though? :(

Well if you're switching shifts around at work to drive a new road, it's a pretty good indication!

• Advertisement

I drove it from junction 14 to 13 this evening, at about 80km/h.

Men, this road is smashing. It has an excellent surface, is of extremely high build quality, and has STUNNING scenery. It has the appearance of being nestled snugly in a wooded valley. Between J13 and 14 it's like driving an American highway in places.

I was absolutely delighted with it, and although I haven't driven it all, I'll dare to say it: this scheme is better than Cashel to Cullahill!

I was absolutely delighted with it, and although I haven't driven it all, I'll dare to say it: this scheme is better than Cashel to Cullahill!

This must be some road if you're saying that!

Glad to hear you enjoyed driving part of it. Now only the weekend to go before we can legally give this road a good drive.

Your description is certainly a very inviting one. Can't wait to experience it for myself!

Well, looking at my post history, I also gave C-M a good review on 25 July last year. But in fairness, I've developed a much more critical eye since then. But between J13 and 14 I'll stand over my comments. It will be interesting to drive between J 12 and 13 however, because the CBM for this was laid during winter, so it might not be as good as the southern section.

I also noticed the new planting on the C-M scheme by the way close to Skeheenarinky. Indeed a lot of shrubs and trees were put in over the winter, albeit over a shortish length of the road.

I also have a small few photos of the M8 between Cullahill and Portlaoise. Good progress continues to be made here. We should see CBM going down pretty soon. I'll post the photos on the appropriate thread. Did you manage to pick up the paper, Blunt? ;)

From AA:
    Cork - On Mon 25th May, the M8 Fermoy to Mitchelstown Rd will be officially opened by Minister Noel Dempsey at 2:30pm. It may take a number of hours before general traffic is able to use this new section of motorway.

Should be open by 4 or 4:30.

I suppose they'll put the new junction signs up on Monday morning.

Did you manage to pick up the paper, Blunt? ;)

I asked somebody to pick it up for me, I didn't have the time to drive down to the shops. I'll see them tommorow, so hopefully I'll have a good read of the article.
    Should be open by 4 or 4:30.

That's a good guess I reckon.
    I suppose they'll put the new junction signs up on Monday morning.

Cutting it pretty close. I don't think they realise that it isn't just junction signs that are needed.

Are the new Fermoy Bypass ADS signs up yet? Has N73 signage been flying up on the Mitchelstown Relief Road? These are the kind of things that need sorting before the road scheme opens.

• Advertisement

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Cutting it pretty close. I don't think they realise that it isn't just junction signs that are needed.

Are the new Fermoy Bypass ADS signs up yet? Has N73 signage been flying up on the Mitchelstown Relief Road? These are the kind of things that need sorting before the road scheme opens.

New Fermoy Bypass ADS is up and looking well, but there's an awful lot of signage at J13 and 14 (including "motorway ahead" signs) still to do, plus, as you say, the new N73 signage. Let's not forget the ADS signage for J12 as well on the C-M scheme which will need to be fixed and washed. I'd say Rennicks et al will be out on force on Sunday.

New Fermoy Bypass ADS is up and looking well, but there's an awful lot of signage at J13 and 14 (including "motorway ahead" signs) still to do, plus, as you say, the new N73 signage.

Good to hear about the Fermoy Bypass ADS... I presume "M8 Dublin" is covered up in the same manner as "M8 Cork" at J12.

I suspect the N8 signage will be staying on the bypass for a while.
    Let's not forget the ADS signage for J12 as well on the C-M scheme which will need to be fixed and washed.

That shouldn't take them too long.
    I'd say Rennicks et al will be out on force on Sunday.

I'd hope so. It seems the most sensible time to do it. If all relevant signage is to be replaced, they have a huge task facing them.

DSCF1869.jpg

Junction 14 northbound onslip

Carrigane Tie-in

DSCF1834.jpg

Junction 12, looking south
    DSCF1838.jpg

From the R665 overbridge looking north
    DSCF1848.jpg

From the Araglin Road overbridge looking north
    DSCF1853.jpg

From the R665 overbridge looking south

DSCF1845.jpg

The R665 overbridge

DSCF1840.jpg

From the Araglin Road overbridge looking south
    DSCF1856.jpg

Junction 13 overbridge, looking north
    DSCF1860.jpg

View south from Junction 13 overbridge

DSCF1862.jpg

ADS for Junction 13
    DSCF1873.jpg

Towards Junction 13, looking north
    DSCF1876.jpg

Completed Fermoy Bypass tie-in

DSCF1879.jpg

The M8 through demesne parkland, at junction 14
    DSCF1880.jpg

Junction 14 onslip
    DSCF1884.jpg

Looking towards Junction 14
    DSCF1887.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Looks like one hell of a stretch of road :D

LMAO at the man walking his dog in the vid

It's the best section of M8 yet.
    Furthermore, it's a candidate for most scenic motorway in the country.

The M8 Wikipedia page has been revamped. I must take some good bright pictures of the Cashel to Cullahill scheme from one of the many overbridges and add one in time.

I met the owners of Corbett Court today as they were putting up signs for the restaurant at junction 13. The poor divils are very worried. I chatted away with them for five minutes and tried to assuage their fears. Nice guys - I'd say they'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Furet, you're so fickle. You say that about all of the new roads :)

MrDerp wrote: »
    Furet, you're so fickle. You say that about all of the new roads :)

:o:) LOL.

That is indeed one of my failings. However, the pictures speak a thousand words, don't they?

Furet wrote:

The best section of M8 yet? It certainly trounces Cashel-Mitchelstown, but better than Cullahill-Cashel?

I'll reserve judgement on that one for moment!

What it looks like from your amazing snaps, is a fantastic piece of quality roadway with some mind-blowing scenery. This is a serious contender, as you say, for most scenic motorway in the country. Just from looking at your pictures (and knowing the local area of course), I know there are some beautiful views to be had on the stretch.

Also, the M8 wikipedia page is certainly looking a lot brighter with your new pictures!

Of course, the icing on the M8 cake would be to have the redesignations go through next week. I've fired off another e-mail to the DoT in the hope I'll get some kind of indication as to what's going on.

• Advertisement

Well, I'm really looking forward to reading and hearing people's opinions next week. The only thing is, the commemorative plaque is VERY close to the edge of the road at junction 13 - too close really.

I'm quite happy with the M8 page now as well!

RE: the redesignations, we'll see what Mr Dempsey says on Monday. But I'll be ringing the DoT on Tuesday or Wednesday if there's no movement.

Make sure to tell me when you've rung, because I'll ring them as well to lump the pressure on. Hopefully Dempsey will at least mention the redesignations.

Believe me, I'll have plenty to say about the road after I've driven it on Tuesday. This is probably going to the most gratifying road opening this year. Finally, the M8 will be whole.

And yes, the Wikipedia page looks well...

Once again, it should be the standard to which other similar articles aspire.

Its the most important bit of gap filling in the network since the Heath-Mayfield scheme opened, nearly five years ago now, I'd say.

MYOB wrote: »
    Its the most important bit of gap filling in the network since the Heath-Mayfield scheme opened, nearly five years ago now, I'd say.

Ah yes, that scheme unified the M7s. Of course if the redesignations go ahead, once again there will be two seperate M7 roads until Nenagh-Limerick, Castletown-Nenagh and Portlaoise-Castletown open.

It also had the effect of removing a fustrating drive between two stretches of motorway which caused dangerous overtaking and road rage - just as the climbing lane/Mitchelstown relief sections of the N8 are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And part of the N52 opened last week, there must be an election coming. :)

Well, the crews have been working flat out to get the road ready: they were working long shifts yesterday and again today I suspect. And still plenty of signage to install. Like I said upthread, it appears they'll be sweating right up until about 4pm tomorrow. There's a big rush for some reason.

When C-C and C-M opened, there was none of the frantic last minute rush we see here. In fact, those roads lay idle for a few days before they opened, but with F-M, that hasn't happened. It genuinely still isn't ready to open and won't be until late tomorrow afternoon.

They'll be sweating well after 4pm I bet...

This is no hope in hell that they'll have all signage done in the next 24 hours. Bare minimum job I reckon... signage at junctions, and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Once again a big thank you to Furet and BluntGuy. Great updates throughout the construction. Lets hope the M7/M8 scheme is similarly updated.

Looking forward to driving it in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Cheers Steviemak.

My poor car broke down in Littleton today. It might well be fooked. I'm a bit disgusted. I'll end up borrowing a friend's car so that I can drive M-F tomorrow evening.

I got several okay photos of C-C today. I'll post them on the general M8 upgrade thread over on the Infrastructure forum soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement