Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Size of Backpack

• 05-07-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right thread, sorry if not

Heading to oz for the year and wondering what size of backpack to get, was looking at one thats holds 80lires, is this enough, don't want one too big as we can only bring 20kg on the plane.

anyone advise

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

rancheros wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread, sorry if not

Heading to oz for the year and wondering what size of backpack to get, was looking at one thats holds 80lires, is this enough, don't want one too big as we can only bring 20kg on the plane.

anyone advise

cheers

It depends on the amount of traveling around you plan on doing. If it's simply a case of dumping it in your gaf and leaving it there then 80 litres is fine but I personally wouldn't even consider the idea of backpacking with an 80L bag weighing 20kg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

well we've have 5 weeks in Thailand first and then the year in oz, getting a camper van in oz and a flat at some stage, so not that much carrying involved

Well then it might be worth considering getting say a 60L pack and traveling light in Thailand. Then, before you head off to Oz you can stock up on cheap clothes in Bangkok. Backpacking with all/most of your clothes for Oz would be nothing but a discomfort and a hassle imo.

Also, just to note that 5 weeks is a bit of an awkward stay in Thailand in terms of visas. You get a free 30 day visa upon entry so your options are either to take that and do a visa run or else pay for a 60 day visa in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

why how expensive is the 60 day visa that would be a factor in staying beyond 30 days?

Taken from
    http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/visaguidelines.htm
    N.B. A visa is not required for entering Thailand for all EU Nationals, American, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand citizens, provided all of the following conditions can be satisfied:-

a) Purpose of visit is tourism only.
    b) Duration of stay does not exceed 29 days.
    c) Visitor is in possession of a pre-booked flight from Thailand within 29 days.
    STEP 5. VISA FEES
    Visa fees are payable by cash or postal order made payable to THE ROYAL THAI CONSULATE. Please note that CHEQUES ARE NOT ACCEPTED. Following are the applicable fees as of July 2007.

Tourist Visa: €40.00 per entry
    Double Entry Tourist Visa: €80.00
    Triple Entry Tourist Visa: €120.00

Non-immigration Visa: €65.00 per entry (N.B. For non-tourists only)
    Multiple Entry Non-immigration Visa: €145.00 (N.B. For non-tourists only)
    Q. How long can I stay in Thailand on my Visa?
    .... A. A Tourist Visa allows you to stay in Thailand for up to 60 days. You may apply for a number of entries and each entry allows you to stay for up to 60 days. However you must leave the country and re-enter to go onto your next entry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You really don't need to bring much travelling. Esp. when in Asia as if there is anything you need you can buy over there cheaply. Always end up wearing the same 2 tops and shorts. To fill 80L is ALOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Cheers for the link!
    i think having to leave your passport in for up to 2 weeks with them before you get the visa is more off putting than the 40 euro!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

When I was travelling in Asia, I had just come from Oz. Because of this, my already horrendously heavy backpack was bloated to the nth degree.

I got around this because I both flew in and left from Bangkok airport. I left the bulk of my baggage in the airport in a carrier bag I bought next to the airport and was left with the shorts and tee-shirts, t-p and shaving foam necessary to enjoy myself in Thailand.
    However, the prices of left luggage at the airport are very expensive because of the accessibility factor. If money is an issue, there are a number of independent storage companies that will help you stow a back breaking load short term for a small amount of cash, even by thai standards.

Advertisement