Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What older, cheaper car do you replace a 335 with?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    Every time I think of the boxster, I see a 993 for similar money.

They're starting to look increasingly overpriced imho. OP will move on to a better thing in due time and the Boxster is not a bad springboard to what next, Cayman S? 997?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I dunno, unkel, is there any spring (i'm assuming you mean financial) in any expensive car these days? At least a 993 is less susceptible to 'getting old' than a boxster.

I dunno, unkel, is there any spring (i'm assuming you mean financial) in any expensive car these days?

I didn't mean financial. Cars are not investments as you now won't find out for yourself tomorrow ;)

Sure a family member is finding it impossible to sell a 1.4 Corolla. What chances are there for nearly new BMWs (never mind old Porsches :D)

unkel wrote: »
    (never mind old Porsches :D)
    Tell me about it. You should lose that 928 and give me the cash and your BMW for my 911!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/TT/3.2-V6/1084375/

Free up a bit more cash with something like this?

• Advertisement

Is there any car more sensitive to Roscommon plates than an Audi TT?:D

You should lose that 928 and give me the cash and your BMW for my 911!;)

Deal! :D

Tell you what, i'm only half messing...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Will ya ease off on the bloody Carlton shate, who cares what it is compared to a 335 in a straight line, find me any sane individual that would want one over a 335 and I'll donate my one to charity. :rolleyes:

Listen, thanks for the replies lads, I don't owe a huge amount on the 335, less than the price of a new 1.6 sportline Golf anyway. My outgoings for the car however are 800 repayments, 300 for petrol, 160 for insurance, 110 ish for road tax.. as you can see that's tipping the 1400 mark.

Finding a Boxster S, lobbing 20k off it in a deposit and borrowing say 18k over 3 years, the outgoings will be a bit less in my head anyway... but possibly not enough to get me to where I want.

So as has been mentioned, maybe it's Corolla time :D .. or 2003 E46 320ci time anyway.

986 - cheers for your post, I dunno how you manage that economy on the 335, you must do long trips, that's the only time I've gotten arounf 500kms out of a tank, the rest of the time I'd get 400 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

OK - at the risk of coming over all Eddie Hobbs...

Having €35-40k still tied up in a set of wheels seems a little bit extreme. Are you still not leaving yourself only another interest-rate rise/drop-off in business (or whatever...I don't know your circumstances...) away from having to sell that feckin' thing next?

Maybe I have a jaundiced view - I had an older cousin in London in the late '80s who had a succession of BMWs and Porsches until the economy went boom and he ended up in a s/h Citroen BX:rolleyes:...

You still seem to be thinking in terms of how much you can afford each month rather than building up a bit of a cushion against further knocks. I don't suppose clearing all your car-related debts and trading down to something around 10 grand is an option? At least until you see what way the wind is blowing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

MarkN wrote: »
    find me any sane individual that would want one over a 335 and I'll donate my one to charity. :rolleyes:

I am 100% Sane and I would dearly love a Lotus carlton over a badge.

Hmm.
    I will get back to you with my chosen charity.;)
    MarkN wrote: »
    My outgoings for the car however are 800 repayments, 300 for petrol, 160 for insurance, 110 ish for road tax.. as you can see that's tipping the 1400 mark.

Anyone throwing away that kind of cash every month these days doesnt sound very sane to me :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hmmm, you must have been expecting the usual suspects to come along and slag you off Mark!
    I'll never know why people who don't want to help with the specific question have to still get there usual posts in. The OP basically says I don't want a Jap car and people recommend them anyway, slag you off and imply you are some kind of idiot because along with a lot of other people you don't like them!

On your actual issue it does sound like the best option for you to save on monthly outgoings is a 320d E92 or similar, not the performance you are used to but same inside and reasonable performance at reasonable cost.

However as noted above I think you will be in for a shock when you try and sell your car and will likely find it next to impossible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

vectra wrote: »
    I am 100% Sane and I would dearly love a Lotus carlton over a badge.

Hmm.
    I will get back to you with my chosen charity.;)

Anyone throwing away that kind of cash every month these days doesnt sound very sane to me :rolleyes:

+ 1 on the Lotus. Or even a 500E Merc.

But Vectra remember the OP would have been in primary school in those days so it feels like eons ago. I don't understand this obsession with new plates, buy a car that has depreciated as much as it is going too and spend the money on fuel, tax if you must (& servicing costs). Some people have more money than imagination and it is no fun trading down either.

Most modern cars are so generic nowadays something like an Integrale or Alfa SZ would float my boat a hell of a lot quicker.

http://www.walkers-garage.co.uk/walkers/listings/l0016.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

TomMc wrote: »

Most modern cars are so generic nowadays something like an Integrale or Alfa SZ would float my boat a hell of a lot quicker.

http://www.walkers-garage.co.uk/walkers/listings/l0016.html

+1 on the SZ. i love those cars, and there quite rare so you will def turn a few heads with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

All jokes aside, there is a lot to be said for running a "normal" diesel hatch for going to work and a slightly off the wall classic for the weekends.

That is what I do. I have a 1974 2.1 Capri alongside a Focus. Outgoings on the Capri are small (€200 insc, €50 tax, €1000 petrol, €500 servicing/repair.. per year). Btw I am 8 years younger than the capri. :D

I don't think a Capri comes close to a 335, indeed I suspect a 320i would absolutely murder it, but it feels fast and turns heads, and has personality... like what self respecting BMW would empty the contents of its petrol tank on the floor of the garage for no apparent reason!?! :D

Not saying you should buy a capri, but look at lots of aging thirsty beasts and buy a corolla to save petrol, tax and insc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

If the 8 series does it for you, they can be had relatively cheaply. Running costs obviously won't be any less than the 335i, but you'd have a clean one for 18K or so.

Downside is that my may have to put up with medallion comments from some in-breds though.

pburns wrote: »
    OK - at the risk of coming over all Eddie Hobbs...

Having €35-40k still tied up in a set of wheels seems a little bit extreme. Are you still not leaving yourself only another interest-rate rise/drop-off in business (or whatever...I don't know your circumstances...) away from having to sell that feckin' thing next?

Maybe I have a jaundiced view - I had an older cousin in London in the late '80s who had a succession of BMWs and Porsches until the economy went boom and he ended up in a s/h Citroen BX:rolleyes:...

You still seem to be thinking in terms of how much you can afford each month rather than building up a bit of a cushion against further knocks. I don't suppose clearing all your car-related debts and trading down to something around 10 grand is an option? At least until you see what way the wind is blowing?

I'm not in the same boat thank God.

I'm looking at this because I work 3 nights outside of my 'real' job and I'm looking at changing that to 1. It's not a case of economy or repayments, it's me wanting to work less. I could easily keep doing what I do and go out and buy an E92 M3, point is, I don't want to.

I'm not bothered by "Jap lovers" or "80s supercar lovers" (I'd like to use different words there lads but you know what I mean) judging people that buy a new or newish car or even come out with stuff like badge comments, I'm one of the people in BMWs target market that bought because they wanted a 335, whether it has a BMW badge or not to me, is not the reason I bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Am I the only person on earth that likes those Smart Roadsters?

smart%20roadster_1.jpg

Also, whoever mentioned the Alfa SZ, brilliant! RWD Alfa with an amazing engine notes. I believe that there is/was one in Ireland!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    What's the hump in the centre of the seat for? Drive around with the dong out resting on that?

Altho I have to admit I always did like those M coupes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

AFAIK the OP had an S3, a nice blue one if I'm correct.

Still a fast BMW, and you get your new numberplate.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mini/Cooper/S-JCW/600715/

I'm not interested in a new plate, certainly not to drive a girls car. :D I've yet to see a car that actually exists in that Dream Cars place actually, has anyone else??

S3 is nice but I've had one, 44k is too much for what I'm trying to do too. One of the big attractions for me regards the Boxster is depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Meant to write that it's about the only one in the range that won't have people asking you for a short back and sides.:D

Might regret even bringing this up but

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/Brera/3.2-V6/1052041/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Honest to god, if i had a 335i and wanted to get rid of it, based on the suggestions so far, that Brera is the best option.Has it all.Speed, grip, looks, red leather, great noise and fairly affordable.Would probably be more costly to run than a 335i, though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Meant to write that it's about the only one in the range that won't have people asking you for a short back and sides.:D

Might regret even bringing this up but

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/Brera/3.2-V6/1052041/

I was just about to post a link to the same car bigkev.

It is within the OP's budget, is flash, powerful, and not too old.

Exactly what the OP is after I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I agree with everyone on a Porsche. It does everything the OP needs money wise and also has the side benefit of being a step up from the BMW, as well as being far closer to something a VAG drivers mod should be driving than a BMW as well:P!(now that Porsche more or less own VAG)

I'm sure the Opel Louts Omega is a special car to drive and all but it's hardly going to be cheap to run even compared to the 335i, and it certainly doesn't have the prestige of a BMW either, just look at the state of the interior.

£20,000 on a 16 year old car, what with 36% VRT it could easily be €30-35k by the time it gets over here and is 16 years old, I resent this reg plate snobbery as much as the next, but there's no way in hell an Omega like that will be anywhere near as durable or cheap to run as the BMW either, and when I say cheap I mean relatively of course;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

E92 wrote: »
    I'm sure the Opel Louts Omega is a special car to drive and all but it's hardly going to be cheap to run even compared to the 335i, and it certainly doesn't have the prestige of a BMW either, just look at the state of the interior.

£20,000 on a 16 year old car, what with 36% VRT it could easily be €30-35k by the time it gets over here and is 16 years old, I resent this reg plate snobbery as much as the next, but there's no way in hell an Omega like that will be anywhere near as durable or cheap to run as the BMW either, and when I say cheap I mean relatively of course;)!

I guess so.
    How about going Stateside :cool: >> SALLY << :D

I'd actually had a look at the Brera - depreciation though would be awful and to be honest I'd take a Boxster S over it anyday. I'd even go for a 2.7 Boxster being honest!

The Brera does appeal to me however, it's the "what'll it be worth in 2 years" that bugs me.

You *could* run a Boxster and it could cost you €6,000 for 2 years in depreciation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

MarkN as a fellow 335 owner I think you should stick with the car for the moment, go to a dealer and look for a part ex and you will be shocked with the depreciation in the current climate, I have seen the same 335d and 335i on carzone for 6 months and more a this stage. If you really want to change gio for somethink like a TT, focus st, mazda 6 mps (jap i know) or a boxter s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement