Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What older, cheaper car do you replace a 335 with?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

MarkN wrote: »

You *could* run a Boxster and it could cost you €6,000 for 2 years in depreciation.

Is that really possible???!?

€3k depreciation a year is par for a Ford fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I know you said you hate most Japs, but this could probably go some way to converting you.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Subaru/Legacy/2.5-Auto/948052/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

All this Fannying about with "will i buy this, that or the other" is pointless - because until you shift your THIRSTY,big, hard to run overrated bm335, your stuck with it - like pigeon guano to its paintwork!

Those motors - nice as they are for posing, are wicked for not being able to shift. You'll find then all rowed up in filling stations clearing out your wallet - 5 times a week. And ye can laugh at people in their ordinary diesels, but they are laughin at ye as they drive by the petrol station and you've got your lazer card out again - ouch.

Best you can do is hope its gets stolen an' burnt out up the mountains!

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sorry!

Wherever did you get your nickname from? :D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I would seriously rethink getting rid of the beemer, but if money is tight or you need to free up money for other things how about a Touareg commercial. Get a fully loaded one in the UK and convert it yourself. I have a 3.0 diesel which has 225 brake, its a nice motor, handles better than most cars in its class and best of all doesnt look like a commercial vehicle. €253 a year in tax, cheap insurance though it is fond of diesel on a short journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

993 porsche - one of the few cars that if kept in the right condition and the economy doesn't go totally tits up - should be at the bottom of its depreciation cycle and values might actually start heading north if its a good one. (Manual,coupe)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

RobAMerc wrote: »
    993 porsche - one of the few cars that if kept in the right condition and the economy doesn't go totally tits up - should be at the bottom of its depreciation cycle and values might actually start heading north if its a good one. (Manual,coupe)

The 993 is one of the best-regarded 911s of the last 30 years i.e. they're bloody expensive. The only one I could find on Carzone was this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=989824&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Porsche%20993%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=2543745&CFTOKEN=64096807

What about a 968?
    4 pot I know but one of the best handling cars of all time and much cooler than a hairdressery (IMO) old Boxster...

Really cool car i think because you don't see many around (pre-Celtic Tiger).

TBH with the market for your type of 335 I agree with those who say maybe you should keep it. You'll get stung badly with depreciation. Maybe plan to keep it for a few years this time?

I think you're doing the right thing cutting back on work though - quality of life is more important...

peasant wrote: »
    Wherever did you get your nickname from? :D:

I'm nice really!;)
    An my name is fully of irony:P

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pburns wrote: »
    What about a 968?
    4 pot I know but one of the best handling cars of all time

Was gonna suggest same. If the savings on the monthly outgoings are not big enough on a Boxster (any Boxster), then a good condition 968 will fit the bill. As you said, it only has half an engine (of a 928), but it is a true Porsche by any measure. When proper fame and thus proper fortune will reach the OP, he'll be able to buy a brand new 998 :D
    TBH with the market for your type of 335 I agree with those who say maybe you should keep it. You'll get stung badly with depreciation

It will be very hard to sell, especially as it will have to be a private sale and not a trade-in this time
    I think you're doing the right thing cutting back on work though - quality of life is more important...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi Mark

I think you need to decide how much money you want to free up, and get a realistic sale value for the 335i sorted aswell, not sure if you have someone lined up to buy or if you are going to be advertising?

Despite the doomsday merchants here, while its a slow market, the 335i is on a lot of peoples radars, and a lot of e46 m3 owners seem to be going down this route rather than the new m3.

I wouldnt go for a slower car, unless you go for a 'proper' sports car like a lotus or boxster S.

If i was you id stick to a budget of €30k give or take a few k and try get either:
    a) a lotus exige (think you can get one for this money)
    b) facelift boxster S
    c) e46 m3
    d) I know you said no jap but imo the nissan 350z and honda s2000 are nice cars

a 330ci/cd will just be a let down after the 335i, whereas any of the cars listed above, while not offering the same luxury (altho a nice e46m3 wont be far off) will offer improved driving experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

unkel wrote: »
    It will be very hard to sell, especially as it will have to be a private sale and not a trade-in this time
    +1

A well known prestige dealer in Dublin said they will take a trade in against mine if I agree a price with them on my car first. I checked this out last week, I'll also ask same dealer to keep an eye out for a nice, clean M3/Boxster and see how it goes.

I do agree with Cyrus (I would wouldn't I!) about the 335 being one of those cars that certain people will gladly part with their cash for, anytime there's a used one/ex demo in a BMW dealer they seem to vanish pretty quickly. Having said that, I'm aware of the slow in certain parts of car sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

no brainer really....

2005 3.2 V6 Alfa GT - http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/419302.htm
    419302-1.jpg419302-3.jpg

I'm telling you... you'll fall in love and it's way below your price range!

or 05 exige - http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/523868.htm
    523868-1.jpg

amazing car!

All this Fannying about with "will i buy this, that or the other" is pointless - because until you shift your THIRSTY,big, hard to run overrated bm335, your stuck with it - like pigeon guano to its paintwork!

Those motors - nice as they are for posing, are wicked for not being able to shift. You'll find then all rowed up in filling stations clearing out your wallet - 5 times a week. And ye can laugh at people in their ordinary diesels, but they are laughin at ye as they drive by the petrol station and you've got your lazer card out again - ouch.

Sorry!

thats some post, people in their ordinary diesels laughing, they must really bust a lung when they see an m5 or a porsche safe in the knowledge that they get 40 mpg and 16" tyres arent expensive to replace,

life is pretty simple for some people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sorry!

Spoken like a true car nut. :rolleyes:

Should you not be hanging about the knitting forum rather than the Motors one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I know it's not German, but have you considered an RX-8? Sure, the fuel bill might even be worse, but you'll get a cracker for well under your budget.

Yay -if the humor is lost on yis...i don't really care.
    Its great to see that this fella is going to horse loads more money into metal that moves fast on the road........but not on a dealers forecourt.
    It great.....i wish there was lots more to keep the economy propped up in this times.

there is ;) its just the media trying to convince us otherwise :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Its great to see that this fella is going to horse loads more money into metal that moves fast on the road........but not on a dealers forecourt.
    It great.....i wish there was lots more to keep the economy propped up in this times.
    why should the op care if a car moves fast from a dealers forecourt... the motor industry in Ireland is a rip off and just because the economy is slowing down it doesn't mean that we all have to sympathise with dealers that can't sell stock after they've been ripping off the public for years.

and it's his money, he can do what he wants with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Cyrus wrote: »
    there is ;) its just the media trying to convince us otherwise :rolleyes:

ohh.. the *media*

how's that sand working out? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

In the space of 2 years MarkN has had a new S3, a new 335i and was recently saying he was bored and was considering an M3:eek:! Now personally, I think that is ridiculous and unsustainable so I can see where you're coming from. But to slag him off from the vantage point of your common-or-garden diesel saloon...well maybe there's a little jealousy because this guy can still afford a great car on what he defines as a 'reduced' income...

MarkN - if you really get bored with cars after a few months and feel compelled to change so often you REALLY need to be thinking about buying used in future. That way some other guy takes the heavy hit of depreciation and you get the variety you obviously crave. And you'll have more money to spend on mad holidays, drink and women-chasing! Which should be your MAIN focus at 26! Plenty of time for plush German coupes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I know it's not German, but have you considered an RX-8? Sure, the fuel bill might even be worse, but you'll get a cracker for well under your budget.

It'd be a cracker alright but theres no "might" in it about the fuel bills.A friend of mine bought one of them a few months ago(228bhp version in red) but had to sell it again a month later.He pushed it on a bit and he reckoned he was getting less than 15mpg.Pretty expensive to run these days

In the space of 2 years MarkN has had a new S3, a new 335i and was recently saying he was bored and was considering an M3:eek:! Now personally, I think that is ridiculous and unsustainable so I can see where you're coming from. But to slag him off from the vantage point of your common-or-garden diesel saloon...well maybe there's a little jealousy because this guy can still afford a great car on what he defines as a 'reduced' income...

MarkN - if you really get bored with cars after a few months and feel compelled to change so often you REALLY need to be thinking about buying used in future. That way some other guy takes the heavy hit of depreciation and you get the variety you obviously crave. And you'll have more money to spend on mad holidays, drink and women-chasing! Which should be your MAIN focus at 26! Plenty of time for plush German coupes!

Ah the M3 was just cause it's an M3 not because I was bored of 335. This is the first time I've ever needed advice of this scale on what to replace a car with as the 335 is just such a good car and it's a tough call.

Buying lots of new cars is not really ridiculous if it's what you want to to spend your money on and you have it. Personally you think it's ridiculous and I have no problem with that but I think constantly being out on the lash is ridiculous and a waste also... :) I also have the woman I want to be with, so girl chasing ain't me either. :o

I wouldn't bother giving NIF a response though, he's clearly on the wrong forum and will realise it soon. :pac:

superjosh9 wrote: »
    ohh.. the *media*

how's that sand working out? :D

eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

eh?

i really dont know what i was talking about either - im pretty tired :(

op I can't believe you're not going to buy a Prius?!

Did anyone suggest a Z4 yet? I always liked them secretly - don't tell.

Now THAT is nice :D

Hi, Well - I'm not out to slag anyone off Pburns. Please dont attempt to put words in my mouth. I'm just having a light hearted laff at all of this and the throw away mentality of Mark with his cars. Many here are just too ANAL to see it - and ohhh, like its a motors forum and the "you're not worthy bull**** if you don't have a 335 or m3 or an AMG or the like to post here shoite" yada yada yada from Mark N. I'm on this forum a while and a bit now and will continue to do so - it is the forum for me. see, I've had plenty of performance stuff over the years and worked in the car industry for years too so I know my stuff - infact, what i dont know about cars and the industry you could write on the back of a postage stamp. I'd also like to make it clear that i don't drive a commoner garden diesel personally - far from it. I've owned loads of Bm's - average ones and performance one's etc etc. They are all good, me personal favs - but the depreciation is a killer on em'. And MarkN - I'm not asking for a response from you nor do i expect one.
    So, keep on changing the car like it was your jocks - but the penny will drop soon, with the economy. Then it will begin to dawn on you............as i say, Dont take my post up wrong like others and think i'm slagging you...I'm not. I wish you well with your spending.
    And, best of luck with the search - I'm looking for the right car for a client right now in the uk - and it can be hard to fill the brief, but keep on searching. Best of luck with it too.

Hi, Well - I'm not out to slag anyone off Pburns. Please dont attempt to put words in my mouth. I'm just having a light hearted laff at all of this and the throw away mentality of Mark with his cars. Many here are just too ANAL to see it - and ohhh, like its a motors forum and the "you're not worthy bull**** if you don't have a 335 or m3 or an AMG or the like to post here shoite" yada yada yada from Mark N. I'm on this forum a while and a bit now and will continue to do so - it is the forum for me. see, I've had plenty of performance stuff over the years and worked in the car industry for years too so I know my stuff - infact, what i dont know about cars and the industry you could write on the back of a postage stamp. I'd also like to make it clear that i don't drive a commoner garden diesel personally - far from it. I've owned loads of Bm's - average ones and performance one's etc etc. They are all good, me personal favs - but the depreciation is a killer on em'. And MarkN - I'm not asking for a response from you nor do i expect one.
    So, keep on changing the car like it was your jocks - but the penny will drop soon, with the economy. Then it will begin to dawn on you............as i say, Dont take my post up worng like others and think i'm slagging you...I'm not.
    And, bsto f luck with the search - I'm looking for the right car for a client right now in the uk - and it cna be hard to fill the brief, but keep on searching. Best of luck with it too.

oh someone who works/worked in the motor industry who knows something about cars - now thats a nice change ;):D

what do you drive btw? as a matter of interest :)

• Advertisement

oh someone who works/worked in the motor industry who knows something about cars - now thats a nice change ;):D

what do you drive btw? as a matter of interest :)

Fair question - I had a nice 530d up until a few months ago when i snatched a quick sale on it (everything is for sale in my life;)). So, i looked for antoher - and I've a nice an tasty bmw535d auto 4 door twin turbo in black just in from the uk 2 weeks ago vrt'd an all. I'm a family man with kids in the creche so i had to be a four door:).
    my young fella's car seat looks sporty in the back of it and all...!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement