Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What older, cheaper car do you replace a 335 with?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

535d, very nice :) the ultimate family mans car (well an m5 is but its not a bad substitute!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

and ohhh, like its a motors forum and the "you're not worthy bull**** if you don't have a 335 or m3 or an AMG or the like to post here shoite" yada yada yada from Mark N. .

I know my stuff - infact, what i dont know about cars and the industry you could write on the back of a postage stamp.

Speaks for itself.

I haven't once said someone isn't worthy to post based on their car. Some fella that comes out with a "you'll spend your life putting petrol in it" or "everyone in their diesels will laugh at you" isn't quite at the petrol head races if you ask me.

What a plain ridiculous statement to make. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ohhh, Mark - I thought you were'nt even going to bother responding to NIF! re; the speak for itself comment - well, i'm informed and educated and experienced - i worked in the trade for over a decade in rental, sales and service - there's not a lot i dont know, done or have witnessed, so i can make that sweeping statement - where do you work mark? And You still don't get it do you?...the humor and you take it all to heart.......sad.

Cyrus wrote: »
    535d, very nice :) the ultimate family mans car (well an m5 is but its not a bad substitute!!)

Thank you - and for just 16k sterling, its a lot of car for reasonable money!
    maybe the OP here should try one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cyrus wrote: »
    If you're gonna get a gas guzzling diesel, why not do it right and just get a gas guzzling petrol.

• Advertisement

Thank you - and for just 16k sterling, its a lot of car for reasonable money!
    maybe the OP here should try one.

must have been trade money at 16k :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

You seem to be in a rut of buying flash german cars and getting bored with them fast.

Why not buy something interesting, as it seems to be that it's the type of car you are buying that's leading to this.

Get yourself something fast and cheap and start doing track days and the like, and foreign driving trips to interesting places with the money saved.

You'll save a fortune, and improve your driving skills, while having fun and not getting bored every 6 months...

No point having a fast car if it can't be used. Like going with a girl who is saving it for marriage....

If you want luxury, buy a new sofa set.

ohhh, Mark - I thought you were'nt even going to bother responding to NIF!

I told Pburns not to bother, I didn't say I wouldn't. Go back and read it in black and white again. If I feel you are judging me arse ways I'll reply to you all day long.
    i worked in the trade for over a decade in rental, sales and service - there's not a lot i dont know,

I'm delighted for you. Where I work or what I do is not relevant but I'm there more than your decade yet I still don't assume I know everything.

Now maybe, just MAYBE, we can talk about cars, if you have a problem with that maybe check out After Hours, lots of stuff there that you can hijack and go off on a stupid rant and nobody will mind too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

cancan wrote: »
    No point having a fast car if it's can be used. Like going with a girl who is saving it for marriage....

Well that's my quote of the week! :D

MarkN wrote: »
    I told Pburns not to bother, I didn't say I wouldn't. Go back and read it in black and white again. If I feel you are judging me arse ways I'll reply to you all day long.

I'm delighted for you. Where I work or what I do is not relevant but I'm there more than your decade yet I still don't assume I know everything.

Now maybe, just MAYBE, we can talk about cars, if you have a problem with that maybe check out After Hours, lots of stuff there that you can hijack and go off on a stupid rant and nobody will mind too much.

now now mark,put that louis vetton handbag away!:pac:

• Advertisement

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Are the two of you done now?

Say: "yes, peasant" :D

well..actually don't ...just talk about cars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

JHMEG wrote: »
    If you're gonna get a gas guzzling diesel, why not do it right and just get a gas guzzling petrol.

Big difference tho'. I have a 535d and when I fill then tank it says over 800km until next fill. I was in an M5 over the weekend and we filled it....228mls til empty!!. Aside from the cost its the bloody hassle of pulling in refilling that would annoy me. Don't get me wrong the M5 is a beast, but the 535d has plenty of power with at least twice the fuel economy

TheBazman wrote: »
    Big difference tho'. I have a 535d and when I fill then tank it says over 800km until next fill.

That's not great?

I've had over 500kms out of mine when doing out of Dublin driving!

Big difference tho'. I have a 535d and when I fill then tank it says over 800km until next fill. I was in an M5 over the weekend and we filled it....228mls til empty!!. Aside from the cost its the bloody hassle of pulling in refilling that would annoy me. Don't get me wrong the M5 is a beast, but the 535d has plenty of power with at least twice the fuel economy
    Ah, but the equivalent gas guzzling petrol is a 535. I'd say there wouldn't be more than a 10% difference in fuel economy between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

MarkN

Just my 2c-ever consider a Jag XK ?

I have a kind of a soft spot for them..here's a good looking one in your budget....probably as dear to run but I'd imagine the prices might have some bargaining room..

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Jaguar/XK-Series/www.descullencars.ie/700778/

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

JHMEG wrote: »
    Ah, but the equivalent gas guzzling petrol is a 535. I'd say there wouldn't be more than a 10% difference in fuel economy between them.

Actually you are right - it would be a 535i if they were available this side of the atlantic. Still I think there would be more than 10% difference. I dont think anyone is getting 727kms from a 335i for example. Still we are straying off topic..sry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 535d has an average fuel consumption of 42.2 mpg. It might be diesel, and it might clatter(oh yes it does, it still tells everyone what fuel it uses) and pollute but being as economical as a 1.4 Focus or Auris AND still managing to have 286 bhp and being fast enough to be limited to the same top speed as the M5 of 250 km/h is quite frankly amazing.

Even the older ones had 272 bhp and still did around 36 mpg on average, the same as a 2.0 Mondeo, and better than a 2.0 Avensis or C5.

Unfortunately it's only BMW's latest naturally aspirated 6 petrols that get really close to diesel for economy. For some reason the twin turbo petrol didn't improve a lot because of EfficientDynamics. The 330d Auto does 42.8 mpg for average fuel consumption, the 330i Auto does 39.2 mpg for average fuel consumption. That means that the 330d is only 9% better than the 330i for economy, less than the difference between the price of petrol and diesel.

Now back to the OP; don't forget the 335d either. Only 20 bhp less than your car but the 2008 cars do 42.2 mpg, which is 42% better than your car's 29.7 mpg average. Plus the dieselhead's favourite: all that torque:D!

I know the economy is going tits up but there will always be a few people that like cars and will still want your car, just not at the price you might be hoping to sell it at;)!

+1
    My 535d is good on the juice. Mind you i dont have it long but its shaping up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Buying lots of new cars is not really ridiculous if it's what you want to to spend your money on and you have it.

Bravo!
    A well known prestige dealer in Dublin said they will take a trade in against mine if I agree a price with them on my car first

Clever option. Should increase your chance of selling it. Will your car be advertised as part of their stock?
    I know my stuff - infact, what i dont know about cars and the industry you could write on the back of a postage stamp.

Quoted for modesty ;)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Bravo!

Clever option. Should increase your chance of selling it. Will your car be advertised as part of their stock?

Quoted for modesty ;)

Unkel it will be yes, my only problem is if someone wants to see it the car won't be in the dealers obviously but the contact I have says people will be more attracted to my car in a garage to have somewhere to go back to etc - there's still almost 12 months full BMW warranty remaining too though.

Because I'm not in a lot of debt with it I can afford to take a hit so to speak if I really just want rid but I don't see why I should let a very well specced, mint car go for peanuts, there has to be a meet me halfway type price for it otherwise I won't sell.

€48k for this 2005 3.2S with VRT and boat paid for.

578463-2.jpg

love the 987 boxster mark, may consider one myself next

thing is, they arent bad value here either, see

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=23&xMakeID=23&ModelID=213&xModelID=213&Year=2005&xYear=2005&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E

im sure all those prices are negotiable, and dont rule out the 987 2.7 which has nearly the same bhp as the 986s and lower ins and tax for you :)

this 06 is a sign of the times price wise :)

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/Boxster/Cabrio-www.descullencars.ie/943242/

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Seperate wrote: »

That R32 has been dropped to 35K :eek: It's in a garage around the corner from my unit and it's in as new condition. Worth a look!

Alot of car for the money imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

The R32 will always be a Golf no matter how you dress it up.

TommyT wrote: »
    The R32 will always be a Golf no matter how you dress it up.

:confused:i suppose in the same way a 335i is a 316i?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Mark you have two options, get something ridiculous and impractical with a second car as a daily runaround. Or secondsly get a a compromise car (which the 335 is as it stands).

My advice would be to go away and get an older real performance car, forget about the badge or the number plate and just buy the funnest car you can find within a reasonable budget. Its what I did two years ago and even though i could afford something newer and more expensive now I just couldnt part with it. Then go away and spend 12k on a 320D as a daily runaround and take the fun car out any time you want to put a big ****eating grin on your face.

What did you buy for the weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MarkN - Any further news on this? Or have you just resigned yourself to being stuck driving a 335i?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Flat2dmat

MarkN. Think outside the box. Buy a Fiat Coupe for less than €10k and have loads of money left over to spend on whatever else you want (holidays, mortgage etc). 20v two litre turbo with 220 bhp - how could you resist for that money?! Also, you can get them on old tax system instead of paying the €2k tax that you would do for same power in newer car. It's a gem of a car and never any trouble (speaking from experience).

• Advertisement

What did you buy for the weekends?

Iirc, cpoh1 has a Skyline GTR R32. I think it's been upgraded too. Claskson had a 1200bhp R32 on on the telly a few years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement