Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What older, cheaper car do you replace a 335 with?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Is performance a main factor in changing or is it more of a classy yoke your after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

MSporty wrote: »
    Its a shame you werent selling 2 and a half months ago, went to Joe Duffys twice to try and make a deal over the silver one they still havent sold. I could have swapped you the R32 for it and given a few quid too. Great car by the way.

That is a pity for sure.

The dealer helping me sell it sold a black 335i SE today - he had it in the garage barely 2 weeks, if I had called him maybe a week earlier maybe that could've been my car today!

But looks like high end stuff is still shifting anyway.

Mick - I've after something a bit special, I've always liked the Boxster S but I have looked at lots of things over the last few weeks.

Should have about 15k deposit and then only really want to spend about 400 quid a month so that's about 20k so at a push I would stretch to a 40k car but that's it. I'd rather something special a few years old than a new GTI with leather, DSG and climate for the same price if you get me.

Can I just say thanks to everyone that has replied and tried to give their side of things, nearly 6,000 views on this thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 5803emma

aite fair enough, but pimping is a bit strong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Easy.

VW Passat, R36.

M5 performance without the pricetag.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

since when is 300 bhp m5 performance :pac:

we know you like passats but dont be silly about it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Cyrus wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

since when is 300 bhp m5 performance :pac:

we know you like passats but dont be silly about it :p
    Its .9 seconds slower to 60 and they both do 155mph. As near as makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

MarkN wrote: »

Can I just say thanks to everyone that has replied and tried to give their side of things, nearly 6,000 views on this thread! :)

Think everyone just keeps checking to see the post where you say to hell with it and somehow end up with an 08 M3 instead. Such was the unpredictability of your previous two "recommend me a car" threads :D

Its .9 seconds slower to 60 and they both do 155mph. As near as makes no difference.

so thats the only criteria?

an r36 passat isnt even a match for the car mark currently has, or for an e46 m3 not to mention the e92 m3,

it isnt fit to be mentioned in the same breath as an e60 m5 :P

so thats the only criteria?
    No, lets talk MPG. Passat gets 28mpg in mixed driving! It has a bigger boot as well.

High performance cars and MPG aren't really something you use to brag about - unless you're saying how low you can get yours to go !

No, lets talk MPG. Passat gets 28mpg in mixed driving! It has a bigger boot as well.

this is priceless :D probably has nicer cupholders too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ah Climate Expert, like a lamb to the slaughter. Criticising, nay merely questioning, BMW on boards is punishable by tickling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If economy is a priority then I'm sure you'll find a diesel 4 pot is pretty frugal. They'll do 45+ mpg in their sleep.

Since when was economy important in a car like the Passat R36, M3 etc?

The Passat R36 isn't even available to order here and even if it was it would be WAY above the OP's ~€40k budget, considering that €40k will only get you to a 140 bhp diesel Passat CC.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Ah Climate Expert, like a lamb to the slaughter. Criticising, nay merely questioning, BMW on boards is punishable by tickling.

this isnt a bmw fanboy thing, its just a little laughable that he is putting a 'hot' passat up as some sort of m5 equal :P

E92 wrote: »
    If economy is a priority then I'm sure you'll find a diesel 4 pot is pretty frugal. They'll do 45+ mpg in their sleep.

Since when was economy important in a car like the Passat R36, M3 etc?

The Passat R36 isn't even available to order here and even if it was it would be WAY above the OP's ~€40k budget, considering that €40k will only get you to a 140 bhp diesel Passat CC.
    Why does it have to be either performance or economy. Why not both?
    All the supercars are going this way, faster and more economical.

I would gladly take an r36 Passat over an M5 if it meant having 30K to spend on other stuff.

And I just realised it is out of the OPs price range. Don't worry young man some day you will be able to afford a new sporty Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just to make it clear, I am in no way agreeing with the view that an R36 Passat is the equivalent to an M5. Just having a poke at the Bimmer brigade*.

*which I will more than likely join at some stage up the wage ladder :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

High performance cars and MPG aren't really something you use to brag about - unless you're saying how low you can get yours to go !

But if you are finding the current car a bit hard on the wallet, then economy becomes quiet relevant. Sure you are not looking for 60mpg, but getting 40 starts to look attractive!

Why does it have to be either performance or economy. Why not both?
    All the supercars are going this way, faster and more economical.

I would gladly take an r36 Passat over an M5 if it meant having 30K to spend on other stuff.

And I just realised it is out of the OPs price range. Don't worry young man some day you will be able to afford a new sporty Passat.

have you seen the car he is selling? a sporty passat could have been in his price range, somehow i dont think he, or anyone else for that matter, will bother buying it

i reckon you are just taking the mick :p

Don't worry young man some day you will be able to afford

There's a good chance I take home more than you now nevermind at your age :D

Can't see myself ever aspiring to a Passat however.

Can't see myself ever aspiring to a Passat however.

I seriously doubt it. I'm ****ing loaded.

Sure we all know you're all about the badge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I seriously doubt it. I'm ****ing loaded.

My e-penis is bigger than the two of yours combined :p Now quit it or I'll lock this.

• Advertisement

Dont you dare we've come way too far for that Peasant...!! Which of you would prefer an E46 M3 Vs a Boxster S and why?

Which of you would prefer an E46 M3 Vs a Boxster S and why?

Neither actually. Both would be a total waste for my driving requirements and circumstances. I'd only get very frustrated with having spent so much money for a semi-supercar and never getting to use even a fraction of their potential.

But if I had to make the choice, it would be the Boxster for me. Just more of a sportscar rather than a pumped up everyday saloon.

Dont you dare we've come way too far for that Peasant...!! Which of you would prefer an E46 M3 Vs a Boxster S and why?

same choice as i had mark and i went for the m3

while peasant seems to think its a pumped up saloon :confused: its a seriously focused drivers tool, a much rawer car than the 335 and a real experience to drive. the boxster s is nice, and handles very nicely, however it isnt as fast and imo the 987 is so much better than the 986 that i couldnt plump for one,

plus there are too many j@ck asses in 2.5 boxsters (im talking 50 year old solicitors), im sure the m3 has its own image problems tho

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote: »
    Both would be a total waste for my driving requirements

Driving requirements? :eek:

I need to wash my clothes. My washing requirements got me to go out and buy a washing machine (I don't know what make or model, but it works). Driving to me is a pleasure, not a household chore. I don't think about it in terms of requirements...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/C70/T5-SE/1109237/

never driven one and it won't match the 335 but it might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Have you thought about a focus st?

The older model is very cheap in the uk at the moment, and you could have a top spec '06 model with 20ish k on the clock for 19-20 grand once vrt is paid.

Get it remapped (which it easily handles) and you'll have a very enjoyable 270 bhp car with some seriously fast in-gear times.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bloody hell, lads. Plenty of nice cars suggested but have ye no grip at all on what the OP fancies in a car?

unkel wrote: »
    Driving requirements? :eek:

I need to wash my clothes. My washing requirements got me to go out and buy a washing machine (I don't know what make or model, but it works). Driving to me is a pleasure, not a household chore. I don't think about it in terms of requirements...

Wait until your daily commute takes you down a narrow, mucky, potholed, speed limited and dangerous borreen every day :D
    No nice sweeping bends, no straight stretches ...just crawling through brambles and horsedung. Then throw in a few dogs and occasional trips to the garden center or building supplies and your Boxster or M3 starts to look about as enjoyable as a hole in the head.

But that's just me and my particular situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Bloody hell, lads. Plenty of nice cars suggested but have ye no grip at all on what the OP fancies in a car?
    You mean a Boxter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Does anyone else think this tread is a bit sad.

There he is with a very tasty, expensive car and he's wondering what cheaper car to replace it with. Seems to me, that like most kids of his generation they are spoiled rotten and can't make up their own minds what they want.

Before anyone suggests I'm begrudging him his toy's I'm not, fair play to anyone who can afford to buy the things they really want, I know I have all I want from what I can afford.

I just can't help but feel this is nothing more than a bragging exercise on the OP's behalf, but then agian I could be wrong.

Personally I would figure out what I like, find one that I can test / have a good look at, and buy whatever tick's all / most of the boxes for me.

OP. Good luck with your car hunting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement