Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What older, cheaper car do you replace a 335 with?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

copacetic wrote: »
    You are a begrudger, saying you aren't in your post just makes it even more obvious.

If I was a begrudger, I would have posted something like this:

"AaaaH you poor F**ker, my heart bleeds for you, credit crunch comes along and you cant' afford the repayments on the BEEEEMer anymore"

Also some of you car enthusiasts seem to only be interested in cars that most people only ever dream of owning.

There is alot more to motoring / forums than dream cars.

So don't call me a begrudger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yes there is a lot more to motoring forums than dream cars.

However in this case we have a member who has the means, interest and flexibility to own and run one of our dream cars, a position I aim to be in at some stage. At that stage I will be (hopefully) opening a thread similar to this looking for the sage advice of the motoring boardsies.

Basically, let's get back on topic.

Personally, I've always got a good deal of pleasure when buying a new car (new or secondhand) from going around the dealers and checking the cars out first hand.

As I said earlier, posts like this will get a lot of resonses from people who don't have a clue what they are talking about as they will not have had any real life experience of the cars they are recommending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The images of that jag have an audi tt hidden in them. see if you can spot it :D

Sly ..imagine walkin up to test drive a jag and they arrive with that yoke..

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

MarkN I have just bought a Boxster S and can not say enough good things about it. If you fancy a look at one and a go without the pressure of going to a dealer give me a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭986s

Have to agree with MarkN's logic re why would somebody pay 65k on a 335i when they could spend the same and get an E46 M3?

I have recently purchased a 335i and test drove many M3's before I made my decision.
    Reasons were newer coupe shape of E92 335i, more modern interior, stock 335i felt near as quick as the M3 and have read extensively on how easy it is to modify the boost on the 335i giving a large increase in bhp and torque- have my own car lighlty breathed on to give M3 beating bhp and torque and thats running a very mild tune.

Get around 27 mpg on the 335i
    Had a Boxster S and was fed up paying 1461 road tax and a grand to service it ever 12k miles compared to longer and cheaper service intervals than an M3 or BoxsterS.

So far Ive no regrets buying a 335i over an E46 M3 and Im sure that plenty of people would see it that way as well with a proportion still preferring the M3 option at that price range.

Anyway Best of luck to MarkN whatever the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jimbling wrote: »
    The Boxter is a poor mans porsche.

It is a proper Porsche. Did you ever drive a Porsche? Any Porsche?
    WHITE_P wrote: »
    alot of people in England are trading down from Ferrari's (etc.) to the new Mitsubishi Lancer Evo

LOL. A Ferrari as a part exchange for a Mitsubishi you say? I think not, tbh... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Personally I think while they are still quite new out and the new M3 is still considerably more expensive than the 335i there is a very good case for the 335i, however in a couple of years time then the 335i / e90 M3 debate will be far less clear cut ( wouold you pay almost as much for a e46 330i as an e46 M3 ?)

As for the Boxster being a poor mans Porsche - utter shi*e, having driven a few I can tell you the Boxster is all Porsche. I am amazed how often that tripe gets trotted out on boards - and generally by someone whos barely seen one never mind driven one - but picked up this "poor mans porsche" soundbite from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote: »
    Wait until your daily commute takes you down a narrow, mucky, potholed, speed limited and dangerous borreen every day :D

Fair enough, I didn't consider those kinds of circumstances. The sight of potholes gives me (near)heart attacks. These days I usually drive at below 5MPH on a badly potholed country lane. I burst a €300 tyre on the BMW once on a pothole and the Porsche's suspension is so stiff that I'd fear the whole wheel would come off driving into a bad one :o

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

unkel wrote: »

LOL. A Ferrari as a part exchange for a Mitsubishi you say? I think not, tbh... ;)

it must be true, haven't you seen a LOT of 'ferraris etc' on Mitsu forecourts in the UK lately? I know I have. There was one in south london I saw and it had more ferraris, lambos and maseratis than you could shake a stick at. Couldn't get near the new lancer for all the supercars you were tripping over.

True story.

• Advertisement

Did I say part exchange ?

I said trading down. Probably a cash adjustment involved in the deal, anyway that's what some Mitsubishi dealers were reporting.

Much the same way MarkN is looking to sell the Bwm and have some cash left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

maybe has come up already but how about a pre 2000 Jag XKR. Running cost wont be cheap with a 4 litre supercharged V8 but you can buy one for around 20k and they look great.

Jag XKR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I suspect it won't be entertained because of badge issues and it's not German, but if considering a Boxter why not take an S2000 for a test drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

"AaaaH you poor F**ker, my heart bleeds for you, credit crunch comes along and you cant' afford the repayments on the BEEEEMer anymore"

Well if you did come out with that you'd need to go back to page 1 and read.

I'm lucky enough that any sort of a credit crunch won't really directly have any effect on what I do for a living. The only reason I want to downgrade is to work LESS HOURS. Should I keep on doing the same hours I'm off to get myself a 05 911 from the UK.

JHMEG, will you ever give it a rest with the "badge issues" don't take it so personally cause I generally don't like Jap cars!? If a mate of mine came out with that fine, but you don't know me, none of us here really know each others personalities so it's hard IMO to say oh they point blank don't like x, y and z. I've looked at S2000s on Carzone and I'm sorry, I just couldn't sit in that interior for long intervals, it's awful. It's a brilliant car but you don't get to use that brilliance in any car in Dublin an awful lot so it has to be comfortable and a nice place to be as much as it has to be a great drivers car (which the S2000 totally is - I'm not knocking that aspect of it).

See attached. TBH, I think your response shows a degree of ignorance, would have expected better from a moderator.

MarkN wrote: »
    I just couldn't sit in that interior for long intervals, it's awful.
    You're coming up with the flimsiest of reasons not to even test drive cars. It's obvious you want a Boxter, so just go and buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

See attached. TBH, I think your response shows a degree of ignorance, would have expected better from a moderator.

attached?
    JHMEG wrote: »
    You're coming up with the flimsiest of reasons not to even test drive cars. It's obvious you want a Boxter, so just go and buy one.

jhmeg a crap interior is a very good reason not to buy a car, thats what puts people off imprezas and lancer evos and the like, something like a boxster offers a complete package whereas an s2000 is compromised

Cyrus wrote: »
    jhmeg a crap interior is a very good reason not to buy a car,
    I said test drive. It's obvious MarkN has made up his mind and just wants us all to agree with him.

I said test drive. It's obvious MarkN has made up his mind and just wants us all to agree with him.

why test drive a car you arent interested in :rolleyes:

why test drive a car you arent interested in :rolleyes:
    To open your mind and broaden your horizons. Is that not obvious? The OP seems to be only interested in one car.

EDIT: Am I the only one who looks at only the dash clocks, the radio and out the windows? I don't give a toss what the interior is like when I'm driving as I don't get the chance to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

I also don't know what MarkN is trying to achieve from this thread. I don't think anything I could suggest would be considered, he knows what car he wants. He is, like myself, a car enthusiast and I for one know when I go to buy my next car, I will know exactly what I want. I'll search for cars within my budget and buy one that appeals to me.
    I suppose this thread is more a discussion about the alternatives.

To open your mind and broaden your horizons. Is that not obvious? The OP seems to be only interested in one car.

EDIT: Am I the only one who looks at only the dash clocks, the radio and out the windows? I don't give a toss what the interior is like when I'm driving as I don't get the chance to look at it.

if im spending upwards of 35k on a car it would want to be properly appointed inside, high quality leather, lack of cheap plastics and some nice extras

also he has mentioned at least 2 cars that interest him, boxster and e46 m3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Just go away and test drive the E46 M3 and boxster and pick one of them. They tick all your boxes, they look well, people will look at you in them, they will sound good when you tell people what you drive and both are nice to drive if not at the top end of the performance spectrum in their markets. However i cant help feeling that there is going to be some badge snobbery involved in your choice and you are equally concerned about how you look in the car and how you are perceived by others rather than satifying the urge to own the car that is the most fun to drive. Thats fair enough though, nothing wrong with that dude.

Im beginning to think this board is less a car enthusiasts forum and more a prestige car fanbase judging by some of the comments in this thread. There is much more to buying a true performance car than the badge on the hood and the respect others will give you for driving it. A real car lover would be happy to jump into any great car regardless of whether it has leather heated seats or where it was made.

Fletch has it on the head, it's just a discussion.

I haven't decided on anything or any car despite what jhmeg assumes.

I was getting a price on an A5 1.8T today for example, there's just not much point in me taking up my own time with test drives until I sell my own.

Well if you did come out with that you'd need to go back to page 1 and read.

Mark my point was that I am not begrudging you anything, as one of the other posters tried to make out I was.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Just go away and test drive the E46 M3 and boxster and pick one of them. They tick all your boxes, they look well, people will look at you in them, they will sound good when you tell people what you drive and both are nice to drive if not at the top end of the performance spectrum in their markets. However i cant help feeling that there is going to be some badge snobbery involved in your choice and you are equally concerned about how you look in the car and how you are perceived by others rather than satifying the urge to own the car that is the most fun to drive. Thats fair enough though, nothing wrong with that dude.

Im beginning to think this board is less a car enthusiasts forum and more a prestige car fanbase judging by some of the comments in this thread. There is much more to buying a true performance car than the badge on the hood and the respect others will give you for driving it. A real car lover would be happy to jump into any great car regardless of whether it has leather heated seats or where it was made.

Well put, all of it.

if im spending upwards of 35k on a car it would want to be properly appointed inside, high quality leather, lack of cheap plastics and some nice extras
    I'd consider myself an enthusiast so none of those things really interest me. Nice to have yeah, but not a deal breaker.

As cpoh1 says, a real car lover would be happy to jump into any great car regardless of whether it has leather heated seats or where it was made, and I agree 100%.

cpoh1 wrote: »

Again, assumptions that you know somebody from an internet forum. :rolleyes:

I would never, ever, buy a car with anyone else in mind bar myself and the next owner. I couldn't give a toss what I look like driving a car, if I did I'd buy into the idiot here that told me an S3 was a womans car when I bought one, I'd buy into the idiot in this thread that said a Boxster isn't a real Porsche.

If there's "badge snobbery" anywhere (I don't agree with you though) it's more than justified, show me another car from the JHMEG and CPOH1 garage of cars that has the all round package of a Boxster or an M3 or MKII TT just to name a few and we'll all take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

show me another car from the JHMEG and CPOH1 garage of cars that has the all round package of a Boxster or an M3 or MKII TT just to name a few and we'll all take a look.

Honda Intergra Type R of course :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I would never, ever, buy a car with anyone else in mind bar myself and the next owner. I couldn't give a toss what I look like driving a car, if I did I'd buy into the idiot here that told me an S3 was a womans car when I bought one, I'd buy into the idiot in this thread that said a Boxster isn't a real Porsche.

If there's "badge snobbery" anywhere (I don't agree with you though) it's more than justified, show me another car from the JHMEG and CPOH1 garage of cars that has the all round package of a Boxster or an M3 or MKII TT just to name a few and we'll all take a look.

When you say all round package do you mean from a performance point of view as in handling, road holding ability and performance? Or do you mean looks great, lush interior and poke aswell? If its the former then I would say you should test drive an evo8 or evo9 or even an R34 GTR skyline if you are looking for a more fun and faster car than the M3. If you want to put more of a grin on your face buy the s2000 over the boxster, sure the cabin isin't as nice as the boxster and its not as pretty but its cheaper to buy, tax and put petrol in and its faster too.

If its the latter then I suppose the boxster and m3 push all the buttons, theyre nice to look at, have the expensive badge that will get looks and attention and are nice to drive too. Ive driven a boxster though and its certainly not in anywhere near the same league as the gt2 i drove or even the spin I had in an older 996 turbo, I can see where the poor mans porsche comments come from, its like the 1.4 focus when what really defines this model is the st.

Its not that I think you are a badge snob more that your car requirements are not based on a true enthusiasts outlook, more that you are interested in motoring in general and owning a nice car, decent credibility with a newer reg would be top of your priority list. There's nothing wrong with that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement