Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What older, cheaper car do you replace a 335 with?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Honda Intergra Type R of course :D

You are so ignorant man you know that? I bet you have never sat into one of these cars and gone out and enjoyed it for what it is. Leave aside that its a honda, what it looks like and the type of person that drives it and you might actually enjoy yourself. After all thats what driving is all about isint it?

I cant believe I bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Just go away and test drive the E46 M3 and boxster and pick one of them. They tick all your boxes, they look well, people will look at you in them, they will sound good when you tell people what you drive and both are nice to drive if not at the top end of the performance spectrum in their markets. However i cant help feeling that there is going to be some badge snobbery involved in your choice and you are equally concerned about how you look in the car and how you are perceived by others rather than satifying the urge to own the car that is the most fun to drive. Thats fair enough though, nothing wrong with that dude.

Im beginning to think this board is less a car enthusiasts forum and more a prestige car fanbase judging by some of the comments in this thread. There is much more to buying a true performance car than the badge on the hood and the respect others will give you for driving it. A real car lover would be happy to jump into any great car regardless of whether it has leather heated seats or where it was made.

jesus, why is a desire to have a complete package seen as a brand/badge snobbery? if mitsubishi did a decent interior id consider one, they dont so i wont.

i did seriously consider a nissan 350z instead of the m3 i eventually bought, it had a decent interior (for a jap car) so it was given due consideration, in the end its slower and less of a drivers car than the m3 so thats what i got.

and what cars in the e46 m3 spectrum trump it for performance in standard tune?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

When you say all round package do you mean from a performance point of view as in handling, road holding ability and performance? Or do you mean looks great, lush interior and poke aswell?

All the above, I want performance, handling but I want leather, climate and xenons too.

I can see where the poor mans porsche comments come from, its like the 1.4 focus when what really defines this model is the st.

The difference between a 1.4 Focus and ST is quite clear but a Boxster was built by Porsche to be just a Boxster, not a production car that will have many variants like a Focus so it's not really an accurate comparison. Nobody is saying it's a 911 but they are not a sh1t car, end of.

Its not that I think you are a badge snob more that your car requirements are not based on a true enthusiasts outlook, more that you are interested in motoring in general and owning a nice car, decent credibility with a newer reg would be top of your priority list. There's nothing wrong with that!

It's fair enough that you have that opinion but my last few cars have been new models as in they were just out, I had no option but to buy new. I also owned a Ford Fiesta once upon a time.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Well put, all of it.

Course it is, because it backs up your opinion
    I'd consider myself an enthusiast so none of those things really interest me. Nice to have yeah, but not a deal breaker.

As cpoh1 says, a real car lover would be happy to jump into any great car regardless of whether it has leather heated seats or where it was made, and I agree 100%.

i am an enthusiast and these things are deal breakers for me! so i disagree with you.

And you are a funny kinda car enthusiast JHMEG given your infatuation with civic hybrids:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

You are so ignorant man you know that? I bet you have never sat into one of these cars and gone out and enjoyed it for what it is. Leave aside that its a honda, what it looks like and the type of person that drives it and you might actually enjoy yourself. After all thats what driving is all about isint it?

I cant believe I bit...

Do you think I care that a car is a Honda, what it looks like, or the type of person that drives it ?
    How do you know I have never sat in or drove one?

I think you'll find that I am one of the people least influenced by a cars image brand or looks here, and most influenced by their dynamic ability.

For your info I have sat in them drove them, and even recommended them to folk - but not every time someone asks for a recommendation.

before you call someone ignorant - try figure out if they do know what they are on about or if your just a bit too sensitive about some things.

• Advertisement

If its the latter then I suppose the boxster and m3 push all the buttons, theyre nice to look at, have the expensive badge that will get looks and attention and are nice to drive too. Ive driven a boxster though and its certainly not in anywhere near the same league as the gt2 i drove or even the spin I had in an older 996 turbo, I can see where the poor mans porsche comments come from, its like the 1.4 focus when what really defines this model is the st.

A boxster is no where near the same league as a GT2 or a 996 turbo, really? No one ever claimed it was. Its a car designed from the ground up to be a roadster and its the best roadster they do, much better than the 911 soft tops. It has the perfect chassis and weight distribution and lovely engines.

Of course they have kept the power down to keep 911 drivers from trading down but thats about it.

A boxster isnt a 911, the same way a DB9 isnt a vanquish but that doesnt mean its crap

Your criteria are upmarket interior (as defined by Germans), and a badge to match. By your definition no Japanese cars have this, despite the fact that the Japanese make the best performance cars on the market today.

Value for money wise maybe, that aside they dont, and theres the rub, you dont get the nice interior you get with a german/italian car, thats why they cost less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cyrus wrote: »
    Course it is, because it backs up your opinion
    Yup. Altho you are kinda stating the obvious. Good job we're not paying for this.
    Cyrus wrote:
    And you are a funny kinda car enthusiast JHMEG given your infatuation with civic hybrids:confused:
    You might like it Cyrus. Has the important things like heated leather seats.

Yup. Altho you are kinda stating the obvious. Good job we're not paying for this.

You might like it Cyrus. Has the important things like heated leather seats.

Yeah good one, like you said good thing we arent paying for this

Did you hear the one about the car enthusiast who loves hybrids.......:p

Did you hear the one about the car enthusiast who loves hybrids.......:p
    Hybrids are cars... heated leather seats aren't:P

• Advertisement

Seats in my car aren't heated ;) they are lovely soft leather tho :D

Seats in my car aren't heated ;)
    I thought you said it was the full package???? You can't have leather seats that aren't heated!

Mine even has Lo and Hi settings!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭986s

. If you want to put more of a grin on your face buy the s2000 over the boxster, sure the cabin isin't as nice as the boxster and its not as pretty but its cheaper to buy, tax and put petrol in and its faster too.

Agree re cheaper to buy, tax and put petrol in but....

Disagree with you completly as would 90% of car reviews comparing a Honda s2000 v BoxsterS as an overall grin enducing package- and yes I have driven both extensively. Keeping the revs up on the Honda to keep the engine at the sweet spot gave me a headache constantly! No doubt the s2000 is a fine car but does not give a better driving experience than a BoxsterS (only if your grinning to yourself how much more money you have left in the bank not having purchased the Boxster).

Yes a s2000 is on a par with a regular boxster pace wise but is comprehensively beaten by an S, not to mention one of the newer 987S ones with 280 bhp or 295 bhp from the 3.4 litre engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Jasus lads will you give it a break, at this stage we all know the type of car Mark is looking for (I suspect he'll shell out for a boxter in the end)

He doesn't want a jap car end of story, this car enthusiast malarkey is getting tiresome there is no one on here who isn't swayed in some direction or another some say it's badge snobbery, financial reality is also a factor for some, there are plenty of cars that offer the performance of more expensive brands for less money albeit at the cost of some creature comforts or materials quality.

The s2000 that you all speak of so enthusiastically is a nice car to drive but it's certainly not an overly fast car by any stretch, I had a good run in one a few weeks ago and not much happens until you get to the 'magic' 6k vtec (spelling?) and that gets a little tiresome after about 2 miles of neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee at full volume, gear shift is lovely but the Knight rider dash did nothing for me, and as I said I was a bit disapointed at the lack of poke.

All in all i like the look of them but wouldn't want to own one (this doesn't make me less of a car enthusiast I hope)

Never driven a boxster but have sat in a few and the interior is beautiful as is the exterior and if they drive half as well as I've heard they do it must be some car.

The last few weeks I have been reading nothing but NSX and Lotus Carlton (seriously what are you smoking?) suggestions being made for people who clearly don't want anything like that.

Jhmeg, unless someone actually asks 'should I buy an NSX?' will you stop suggesting them, and as for the Lotus nutjob, please, come on, some people actually want useful suggestions!!!! Go and buy these cars yourselves lads and tell us all about them if you please.

@Mark, either get a boxster or an M3 both of these cars will meet your requirements, I personally prefer the M3 for exactly the same reason Cyrus stated earlier.

If I can get this down a bit (I don't know anyone in Cullens but I know someone who valets all his stock!) and for the monthly repayment I want I'm gonna go for it.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/Boxster/Cabrio-www.descullencars.ie/943242/

cullenBoxMet474.jpg

Victor_M wrote: »
    Jhmeg, unless someone actually asks 'should I buy an NSX?' will you stop suggesting them,
    :confused::confused::confused: When did I last suggest someone buy an NSX?

And no, I won't. Why should I.

MarkN wrote: »
    If I can get this down a bit (I don't know anyone in Cullens but I know someone who valets all his stock!) and for the monthly repayment I want I'm gonna go for it.
    You prob won't have much change after selling your's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

:confused::confused::confused: When did I last suggest someone buy an NSX?

And no, I won't. Why should I.

The two most important things to the OP it would seem to me are badge and a recent reg. A Lotus Carlton fails miserably on both accounts. Hard to believe it but I think a new 320D with all the addons would be more desirable to the OP than say a 4 year-old NSX?

If fairness to you its been about 2.5 weeks, and funnily it was in this thread.

You went quiet there for a while, off you went to Octane.ie where you force fed the Gospel according to Honda, unsuccessfully! now you are back with a vengeance, promoting the good word of Honda and BMW bashing your 2 favourite pastimes.

You seem to be getting an unusual amount of satisfaction at the thought of Marks car depreciating more that your car is worth, maybe you have some issues that may be better of in the Personal Issues forum.

'Hi I'm Jhmeg and I have some inadequacy issues I'd like some help with'

Back on topic - Mark that's a nice Boxster, would you hold off for an 'S' though?

You prob won't have much change after selling your's?

And you know how much I own of my car do ya?

Victor I would hold off on an S but the price on the 2.7 is good, I would want an S in the previous model but the 987 I would settle for a 2.7 - something using less fuel than my 335 would be a bonus to me.

And you know how much I own of my car do ya?

EDIT: sorry I thought you owned all of it. Selling a car for 55k say and buying a car for 50k isn't gonna net you a lot of money, especially if the bank owns most of it anyway.
    Victor_M wrote:
    You went quiet there for a while,
    Victor, you've a bit of an obsession going on there. You're not stalking me are you, cos sorry no, I won't be your boyfriend. You've even been looking at my profile :eek:

Oh and I didn't suggest anyone buy an NSX. I merely pointed out what others have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

EDIT: sorry I thought you owned all of it. Selling a car for 55k say and buying a car for 50k isn't gonna net you a lot of money, especially if the bank owns most of it anyway.

Victor, you've a bit of an obsession going on there. You're not stalking me are you, cos sorry no, I won't be your boyfriend. You've even been looking at my profile :eek:

Oh and I didn't suggest anyone buy an NSX. I merely pointed out what others have.

Damn, I think I'm going to take your side on this argument.

This thread has gone from "What older cheaper car" to buying an 2006 Porsche for 50k. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Maybe this may help provide some light relief here and sell a beautiful second hand BMW for you MarkN ;)

2935.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

WHITE_P wrote: »
    See attached

Ah well, that completely proves your point then :p
    WHITE_P wrote: »
    TBH, I think your response shows a degree of ignorance, would have expected better from a moderator.

Mea maxima culpa - not. Take it to feedback if you have issues with my moderation. TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/Boxster/Cabrio-www.descullencars.ie/943242/

cullenBoxMet474.jpg

Stunner of a car, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

For €2.5k more you can get the same car with 25,000 less miles and more kit, including sat nav.

1122521_20080719030722_5.jpg

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/Boxster/car/1122521/

Mark

If spending €45k+ will still free up the amount of cash / leave you with comfortable repayments so that you can cut back on work i would definately go with the 987 boxster.

Much improved on the 986 (which is still a super car) and i also agree you dont need the s, given that the 2.7 in the 987 is 250bhp + which was originally the output of the boxster s in 986 guise.

Oh and that grey is the colour to get!

If you are going for car €35k and under get an m3, you are free to take a spin in mine anytime if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Listen, thanks for the replies lads, I don't owe a huge amount on the 335, less than the price of a new 1.6 sportline Golf anyway. My outgoings for the car however are 800 repayments, 300 for petrol, 160 for insurance, 110 ish for road tax.. as you can see that's tipping the 1400 mark.

Finding a Boxster S, lobbing 20k off it in a deposit and borrowing say 18k over 3 years, the outgoings will be a bit less in my head anyway... but possibly not enough to get me to where I want.

... heart v. head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

maidhc wrote: »
    Damn, I think I'm going to take your side on this argument.

This thread has gone from "What older cheaper car" to buying an 2006 Porsche for 50k. :confused:

MarkN - do any of your family, girlfriend, close friends ever comment on your car-buying habits?

I too am failing to see ANY logic in this at this stage but any questioning of MarkN's motives elicits a rabble of bandwagon-jumpers accusing jealousy, sour grapes and all-sorts. If the OP wants to continue working all the hours God sends to finance the holiday fund of a pletora of upmarket Dublin car dealers (and spend the remaining ones on here obsessing about the intricies of various Teutonic masterpieces)...well...let's just say he's welcome to his Porker and BM collections.

Frankly I think those egging you on are issuing **** advice because it's sounds like you're caught in a vicious circle of conspicious consumption to get your kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

pburns wrote: »
    MarkN - do any of your family, girlfriend, close friends ever comment on your car-buying habits?

I too am failing to see ANY logic in this at this stage but any questioning of MarkN's motives elicits a rabble of bandwagon-jumpers accusing jealousy, sour grapes and all-sorts. If the OP wants to continue working all the hours God sends to finance the holiday fund of a pletora of upmarket Dublin car dealers (and spend the remaining ones on here obsessing about the intricies of various Teutonic masterpieces)...well...let's just say he's welcome to his Porker and BM collections.

Frankly I think those egging you on are issuing **** advice because it's sounds like you're caught in a vicious circle of conspicious consumption to get your kicks.

LOL. Me thinks you have sumed up this whole tread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Im beginning to think this board is less a car enthusiasts forum and more a prestige car fanbase judging by some of the comments in this thread. There is much more to buying a true performance car than the badge on the hood and the respect others will give you for driving it. A real car lover would be happy to jump into any great car regardless of whether it has leather heated seats or where it was made.

I think you might be on to something here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement