Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pint bottles of smithwick's

Options
  • 05-07-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I enjoyed one of these babies in a country pub last night. It seemed a lot better than a draught Smithwicks, which is often very bad outside of its natural habitat in the southeast. Does anyone know if they are widely available around the country? Will I be met by blank stares of incomprehension if I try and order one in a flash joint?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Not in Dublin anyway, there rarer the pint bottle of Guinness, McArdle's is available in a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Available in the Blue Haven in Templeogue anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Will I be met by blank stares of incomprehension if I try and order one in a flash joint?
    Quite possibly, but that's no reason not to do it. If a pub doesn't serve the drink a customer wants, it's the pub that should be embarrassed, not the punter.

Superquinn sell pint bottles of Smithwick's, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try mixing it with a pint bottle of Guinness.
    A Black and Tan

yummm
    despite the name but let's get over our history.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BeerNut wrote: »
    Quite possibly, but that's no reason not to do it. If a pub doesn't serve the drink a customer wants, it's the pub that should be embarrassed, not the punter.
    Yep, I always go in pubs and am looking in the fridges for anything decent. And if the barman asks what I am looking for, I usually say "any decent beers", might even ask for drinks that I know they do not have, if it is the manager/owner or looks like a "head barman", this way at least they get to know there is an interest, and may consider getting other beers in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Try mixing it with a pint bottle of Guinness.
    A Black and Tan

Hmmm, that drink sounds only marginally more fun than its historical namesake.:rolleyes:

Any sign of the pint bottles around Cork city? Draught Smithwick's is usually terrible around here, it would make a lot more sense to serve bottles.

Hmmm, that drink sounds only marginally more fun than its historical namesake.:rolleyes:

Any sign of the pint bottles around Cork city? Draught Smithwick's is usually terrible around here, it would make a lot more sense to serve bottles.

Draught Smithwicks is a thing of the past around Cork.

Calanans on Georges Quay sell pt. bottles - would have to check beyond that.

Don't knock a B&T till you try it. It really is good. Find a willing partner;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Draught Smithwicks is a thing of the past around Cork.

Calanans on Georges Quay sell pt. bottles - would have to check beyond that.

Don't knock a B&T till you try it. It really is good. Find a willing partner;)

I'll second a B+T as well, it's everything a Kilkenny or Beamish Red wants to be and can't get close to. Some parts of the country call it a "special" BTW. It's been an age since I had a pint bottle of Smithwicks but it is a rare beast to see. Of all Irish beers, it looks the business in a bottle, it has some poise to it IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I only ever saw pint bottles of Smithwicks in Waterford.

Lovely stuff, but Macardles is nicer, which is available in Dublin. In Pint Bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

I'll second a B+T as well, it's everything a Kilkenny or Beamish Red wants to be and can't get close to. Some parts of the country call it a "special"

A Special is Smithwicks with a shot of Guinness added before serving.

A black and tan ( sometimes called a pint of Mixed) is the full blend, an absolute hoor to pull on draught, you have to pull the guinness, let it fully settle, then add the beer by turning the tap right down and letting it dribble into the guinness, you'll still end up with a big head.

Ask for a Black and Tan in a busy pub, and watch the barman wince:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A Special is Smithwicks with a shot of Guinness added before serving.

I just call that a "Smithwicks with a Guinness Head".

you have to pull the guinness, let it fully settle, then add the beer by turning the tap right down and letting it dribble into the guinness, you'll still end up with a big head.

And make sure he does it properly: putting the ale in first, and dribbling the stout over the back of a spoon to get the nice layering effect which is the whole point of the drink.
    Blackandtanbeer.jpg

I tried this last night with bottled O'Hara's Red and Stout. It, er, didn't work.

BeerNut wrote: »
    And make sure he does it properly: putting the ale in first, and dribbling the stout over the back of a spoon to get the nice layering effect which is the whole point of the drink.
    Blackandtanbeer.jpg

I tried this last night with bottled O'Hara's Red and Stout. It, er, didn't work.

I wonder what else I can get you to do?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

I just call that a "Smithwicks with a Guinness Head".

Now Des. only trying help you blend in when you're down the country, you'll stand out as a city slicker if you start asking for the above;)

I wonder what else I can get you to do?:)
    I'd been meaning to give it a go for a few months, following this thread.

But I'm always open to suggestions for silly drinking projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Or in the case of our place, refuse to do so :D

Never saw a pint bottle of Smithwicks around Galway (bar or offy), would love to try one though. Anyone know of a place?

Dunnes might be your best bet.

Advertisement