Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good rts

Options
  • 05-07-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I've been looking for a good RTS compuer game for some time.
    A game that starts from the Stone Age like on Age of Empires 1 and progresses up to the space age like Sins of a Solar Empire. I dont think there is one out there yet, but I would like to know if there is one that is close to what im looking for... and thats also good. I was recommended Empire Earth 3 but I was looking for other opinions as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I heard empire earth 3 was suppose to be a load of ****e,it got very bad reviews,have'nt played it myself yet though,the pervious two are good though,I think empire earth 1 and 2 would be your best bet,but you should also try rise of nations,thats a very good game,or company of heros.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Rise of nations was good to an extent.Like droping a nuke on your next door neighbour but the territorial part was to restrictive compaired to AOE 1 and 2 where you could buld anywhere and everywhere without hassle.

You could try this if you want an MMORTS
    http://www.mmorts.com/

Some online RTS are pretty good but depends on what you want.

Or you could do the sensible think and wikipedia RTS games :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_strategy_video_games

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

Rise of nations was good to an extent.Like droping a nuke on your next door neighbour but the territorial part was to restrictive compaired to AOE 1 and 2 where you could buld anywhere and everywhere without hassle.

You could try this if you want an MMORTS
    http://www.mmorts.com/

Some online RTS are pretty good but depends on what you want.

Or you could do the sensible think and wikipedia RTS games :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_strategy_video_games
    Done that the game doesnt exist but looking for a game close to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I'd say Rise of Nations is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Empire Earth is ****e! Its dumbed down to the point where its lost anyhting that might have made it good. EE1 is the best of the series or try RoN. DOnt know too many others. Maybe Civ4 if you want epic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

why has nobody mentioned C&C3:Tiberium Wars?

i was stupid and got it on the xbox360, but its a great game, as are every C&C game.

*with the exception of generals and renegade. generals was insulting, renegade was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

SolarNexus wrote: »
    *with the exception of generals and renegade. generals was insulting, renegade was crap.

Your lucky, It could have been Tiberian Sun you went out and got like me :mad:

Tiberian Wars has made up for it though :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

supreme commander,starcraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Company of heroes is the best RTS I've ever played and it's huge online too.

Rise of nations is excellent. It's sequel rise of legends is not and is in fact a completely different kind of game.

Try Medieval total war 1 or 2.

Im playing rise of nations now and its seems to be ok the one game close to what im looking for is Imperium Galactica 1 and 2 i recommend trying it if you like rts games and another good one i have heard of is Star Wars Empire at War

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

bus77 wrote: »
    Your lucky, It could have been Tiberian Sun you went out and got like me :mad:

I thought Tiberian Sun was one of the better games out of the franchise.

If we are gonna name any type of RTS then id recommend Dawn of War also.

I thought Tiberian Sun was one of the better games out of the franchise.

If we are gonna name any type of RTS then id recommend Dawn of War also.

In my opinion Tiberium Sun was awful, outdated graphics, **** missions etc etc. Tiberium Dawn (Or just C and C) was great, as was Tiberium Wars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Renegade was awesome, you bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

there are very few RTS's that are good and also meet your criteria.

If you are willing to try turn based then Civilisation (III/IV) can be a LOT of fun.

As far as purely good RTS's go. IMO those who haven't played starcraft have not experienced what a REAL RTS is all about.

Froot wrote: »
    Company of heroes is the best RTS I've ever played

have to agree with you there.

Im playing rise of nations now and its seems to be ok the one game close to what im looking for is Imperium Galactica 1 and 2 i recommend trying it if you like rts games and another good one i have heard of is Star Wars Empire at War

Empire at war is a good game....yet unit limit just drags it down.Games would be so much better without unit limits.

Like Froot said.....Medievil 1&2 were good games but its not progressive up to now....only Medievil like it says yet they are worth a look at if you really like strategic games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Medieval II is a great game!! Can't wait for the next Total War release. Empire at War is ruined by the low unit limit and small maps - ruined!!

I was a never a fan of Tiberium Wars. Wasn't a bad game but again you're talking small small armies. That's why I'm such a fan of the Total War series...it's like "Nice city. Now I shall ransack your walls and burn your houses with my legions of brutal savages!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

supreme commander is a great rts and it's available now for 8 euro at Zavvi in dundrum, I'd nearly be tempted to buy it again at that price

what do people think of Age of Empires 3, I used to loove AOE2

I thought age of empire 3 and its expansion were great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne expansion.
    Not only is it hugely popular itself, there are also player made mods (ie DOTA) that are extremely popular.
    Infinite playability and won't cost you much.

prefer AOE2 to 3, three was too complicated with all that home town malarkey

MooseJam wrote: »
    prefer AOE2 to 3, three was too complicated with all that home town malarkey

AOE 2 was without a doubt much better than 3. It was more fun to play and was amazing for its time :)

i got Star Wars Empire at War if you like Star Wars and RTS games this is the game for you also more good Star Wars games are KOTOR and KOTOR2 but they are RPGs

So far ive tried AOE 1,2 and 3 all equally very good 1 being my favourite
    Rise of Nations really getting into it
    Star Wars Empire at War Only played briefly but seems promising
    Civilisation IV im not liking the Turn base setup but not that bad
    I got Tiberian Wars on 360 but have not played it yet

And as i said before if you like space RTSs you should look into Imperium Galactica 2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whats the new Civi on Ps3 (maybe it is multi-format?) Is that IV?

Got good reviews in a mag I read recently.

The new Civ is called Civilisation:Revolution and is a shoehorning of the Civ franchise onto consoles. That said it has got good reviews for it's accesibility, while still retaining the civ scope. Apparently micromanagement is out the window but other than that its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cheers. How are the nect gen consoles handling RTS? I mean Tib Wars for example or whatever

Universe at war is 6.80 in game dundrum, might buy it myself, can't go wrong at that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was introduced to Faces Of War the other day, and found it to be rather fascinating. It's a WWII RTS with a staggering amount of detail. A fair bit of micro-management of your troops (having to make them reload can be a bit tedious) but a lot of scope, like extremely destroyable terrain and scenery, Blow up a tank and use the wreckage as cover, shell the ground with artillery and hide in the craters, stuff like that. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea but I certainly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

The new Civ is called Civilisation:Revolution and is a shoehorning of the Civ franchise onto consoles. That said it has got good reviews for it's accesibility, while still retaining the civ scope. Apparently micromanagement is out the window but other than that its great.

an rts without micromanagement? haha have they gone crazy?

Advertisement