Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So where is the site redesign?

Options
  • 05-07-2008 10:19pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quite a long time ago there was a thread in here where we were told a considerable site design is in the pipeline and would be revealed soon.

Is this still the case? When is it due?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It came in a while back, and is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

the_syco wrote: »
    It came in a while back, and is ongoing.

We don't take kindly to things that came in a while back, and are ongoing round here.

No idea what your talking about Zascar mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A link to what you're talking about would help Zascar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Zascar wrote: »
    Quite a long time ago there was a thread in here where we were told a considerable site design is in the pipeline and would be revealed soon.

Is this still the case? When is it due?

Try blinking a few times, then visit your own profile for a new and exciting messaging system. If you like, you can look for similar threads at the bottom of this page, or do a tag search for more useful changes.

If you found this information useful in any way then you can even thank me by pressing post_thanks.gif.

Apart from that, same old same old.:)

I think Dev mentioned something in the podcast about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

thats the one thanks

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have been in the process of a site graphical redesign for a while now, including both some UI changes and a good deal of graphics changes.

This has taken significantly longer then expected because of various things including the upgrade to the new vB, discussion and agreement of the UI changes and not least of all, agreement on the graphical look and feel.

Considering how many people go spazo when we remove a smiley or change a colour scheme, this is going to come as something of a shock to many, akin to lopping off an arm!

There has been a great deal of re-organisation behind the scenes, particularly with Cult's arrival as lead-peon^H^H^H^H programmer, and he's made us do all sorts of annoyingly efficient things like test servers and deployment schedules etc. Pffffffffff, fancy pants stuff... in my day we put things live and banned anyone who complained. Ahh, simpler times.

So, to answer your question, yes its still very much on the cards but its been jostled about by priority switching and our desire to do it right, first time.

Its still going to cause pandamonium and we figured we'd take our time and let people get used to the shock of the new version of vB before hitting them with this.

ETA? probably within the next 3 months.

DeV.

ps: when I say something is "on its way" that means "within a year" :)

DeVore wrote: »
    ps: when I say something is "on its way" that means "within a year" :)

And since you didn't actually say "on its way"... no, wait, that's far too picky for 1am.

Look forward to seeing it when it's up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I, for one, don't like the re-design and think it should be scrapped. In fact I don't like the way Boards has been going, there are way too many n00bs and stupid fora like Celeb & Showbiz and The Lonely Lounge.

Just preparing my speech in advance. I remember when this was all fields, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Its still going to cause pandamonium and we figured we'd take our time and let people get used to the shock of the new version of vB before hitting them with this.

I may be showing my utter noobness here but is this currently the new version? If so, when did it come in. Because if I missed something really obvious since I joined I should probably get my coat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Considering how many people go spazo when we remove a smiley or change a colour scheme, this is going to come as something of a shock to many, akin to lopping off an arm!

/kneels down and starts praying for the retention of rolleyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I may be showing my utter noobness here but is this currently the new version? If so, when did it come in. Because if I missed something really obvious since I joined I should probably get my coat.
    Upgrade: What's new?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Is this new? Was there news about this new? Do you know about the news on the new newness? Who knows the new is new and who knew the new news would be new?

/hands nkay coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

lead-peon^H^H^H^H programmer

I feel so nerdy for getting this!

Loooking at my post I think I was asking for that.

No I know all those new features (well, know that most of them exist at least). What I meant was: are all these new features part of the new version of vB that Dev mentioned or is this something new to come?

Loooking at my post I think I was asking for that.

No I know all those new features (well, know that most of them exist at least). What I meant was: are all these new features part of the new version of vB that Dev mentioned or is this something new to come?

Boards is sooo much more than a Vb release. It's totally like customised dude..

So we're currently in the process of
    geting used to the shock of the new version of vB before hitting them with this.

That's what I was wondering really. What stage of Dev's plan we're at. If I'm not making any sense feel free to say so and I'll just leave it at that. I don't suppose I really need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Aye, you try and take away rolleyes again and you will have a full on holy war on your hands buddy. I'll see to it personally.

In fairness though theres been a lot of good work going on lately. The new profile changes are A+ and the similar threads table on the bottom of the page is somewhat useful. The thanks button hasnt been too abused either, I personally use it versus thread subscription to keep track of good posts/quotes.

Encroaching on the site's image though might be a bad thing: the classic white on blue has become a hallmark for me, and I got here after the page-top navbar did; but it really makes the site.

Anyway it's a message board, things are supposed to happen at a leisurely pace :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The top bar nav is gold. We wont be touching it except to make it better, and faster loading (oh yes, thats one of the main bits we are shooting at, much faster load times per page). The colour scheme is in the air at the moment but the front page will be rejigged to be more of a one stop page for the latest posts, groups, adverts etc etc.
    Vex and Cult will be able to tell you more about timelines, but this isnt going to be a single big release, its going to be an iterative process (like it always has been really).

Recently there have been big changes to the sort of stuff you dont see. We have a test server for example, we have versioning of releases and we've been settling down the servers which have been acting the 'tard a little.*

DeV.

* You shouldnt anthropomorphise computers, they hate it when you do that....

Advertisement