Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Vs Mondeo

Options
  • 05-07-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Right, I basically know feck all about cars. But I'm trying to choose between a new Avensis 2l diesel or 2l Mondeo Zetec TDI. I know some of you will suggest other cars in the same range but I can only choose one or the other. Anyone got any opinion, any advice appreciated.

Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Mondeo. Avensis will be replaced at the end of the year, meanwhile the Mondeo has just come out.

I won't say why for the moment; just wait and see the other responses and you'll definately get a very clear message by the end of it all:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

all advice appreciated, as i said i know f all about cars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I'd go for the Mondeo every time.

Mondeos have always been a great car to drive whilst every Avensis I've ever driven (and this is only my opinion) has been like steering a boat around corners (and I've steered plenty of boats as well !).

Completely unresponsive and devoid of any feedback.

Again, only my opinion, but that's all your asking for right ?

Yeah exactly, only looking for opinons as i can't form one myself having never driven either.

All appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Had one of the new Mondeo's while for a couple of weeks while my other wagon was on order. Very impressed. Interior is a bit bling looking but it's a solid car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

i have one of the new mondeo's. its an absolute beast of a car. 1.8 deisel.lx model. i have never driven the avensis, but i highly recommend the mondeo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

collie1 wrote: »
    i have one of the new mondeo's. its an absolute beast of a car. 1.8 deisel.lx model. i have never driven the avensis, but i highly recommend the mondeo
    Hmmm. A 1.8 diesel Mondeo. Absolute beast you say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Where's that 1.9 TDI Passat when you need it? I've heard that engine is such a beast that Concorde had trouble keeping up with it:pac::pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

JHMEG wrote: »
    Hmmm. A 1.8 diesel Mondeo. Absolute beast you say...

PLAY NICE :D

Anywho, my guess is that you aint paying for it for it so all that matters is what you prefer, go in to your local dealership and ask to test drive both of them

It all depends on the money, why not look at a new 2.2 d4d luna avensis with 150 bhp, now they are a nice easy car to drive, with load of power to overtake.

but maybe you prefer the looks or drive of the mondeo, but the only way is to walk into the showroom act like proper customer, and bring them for a spin

E92 wrote: »
    Where's that 1.9 TDI Passat when you need it? I've heard that engine is such a beast that Concorde had trouble keeping up with it:pac::pac:.
    The word you're looking for is weapon:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Mondeo - driven the base petrol in man and the 2.0 diesel in auto. Found the diesel to be much heavier in the nose, which it is, but it was noticeable in the steering. This may also have been due to the bigger and wider wheels.

I found the bog-spec model to be surprisingly good fun..!

Have driven the Avensis also - it is a good solid car. Mondeo is a little bit bigger. I suggest you sit into both and make your mind up as to which place you enjoy being in more.

As mentioned, the avensis is due to be replaced soon. Historically, and I'm not sure about this, but I think the avensis has always held its value quite well. The same cannont be said for the Mondeo - but the new one is miles away from the previous gen so it will be interesting to see how this develops. Btw, it's platform is used in the Land Rover Freelander and Volvo S80/V70 to name but a few - and it scored very well in the NCAP.

All in all, if it was me, I would agree with the others and go for the mondeo. But still you should try both!

Thanks for all the opinions, seems that the mondeo is the most higlhy recommended at the moment! In any case i think i'll accept the advice given and test drive both before making a decision.

thanks again, any other opinions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Berbatov wrote: »
    Thanks for all the opinions, seems that the mondeo is the most higlhy recommended at the moment! In any case i think i'll accept the advice given and test drive both before making a decision.
    Cars are quite a personal thing, you'll find the decision will probably make itself when you drive both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Mondeo all the way. But hey test drive them both and I'm sure you will see why. The one and only time I drove an Avensis, I had some deja vu going on - it reminded me of a sit-on lawnmower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Mondeo is a Ford while the Avensis is a Toyota and Toyota make the best built cars in the world. Says it all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

If your not paying for it yourself then avensis = ugly and mondeo = class.
    If you are paying for it yourself then buy a focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I'd go for the Avensis. Like Run_to_da_hills said Toyota are the best built in the world and as they are getting replaced in 2009 it seems a good time to buy at a great price.

Maybe you should test drive both

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Just buy a mondeo and get it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jonnygee wrote: »
    If your not paying for it yourself then avensis = ugly and mondeo = class.
    If you are paying for it yourself then buy a focus.

None of these car are pretty to be honest so looks shouldn't be the deciding factor when choosing one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I'd go for the Avensis. Like Run_to_da_hills said Toyota are the best built in the world

Ford. Designed for living. Engineered to last. :D

I'd go for the Mondeo myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Another vote for the Mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The Mondeo is a Ford while the Avensis is a Toyota and Toyota make the best built cars in the world. Says it all. :)

No one ever said that about toyota.They said that about themselves!!Anyway, toyotas have definately come down in recent years.Just have a look at the new Auris, horrible looking, feels cheap and NOT exciting to drive.The old corolla was a better car.The Avensis has all the same traits as the Auris except the cheapness.Right now, i could not reccomend any new toyota car, Only the Land cruiser(Commercial only), Hiace, Dyna or Hilux, which are commercial vehicles.
    I would definately reccommend the mondeo over the avensis.As for what other people were saying about retained values of the avensis, have you noticed how common they are??I'd say if you wanted to shift one at all quickly, you would have to sell fairly cheap.
    Put it this way, the mondeo is; Better looking, More spacious, has more modern engines and is newer.No contest IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Zonda999 wrote: »
    No one ever said that about toyota.They said that about themselves!!

This is what Toyota says:
    toyota.ie wrote:
    Who says that Toyota is generally regarded as the highest quality manufacturer of passenger vehicles in the world? The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, that's who. It took the MIT 5 years and $5 million to study the world's car industry and reach that simple conclusion.

And who says that people who buy Toyota cars are happier with them than any other make of car? JD Power and Associates, that's who. JD who? They're an American firm who study people and their choice of cars and how happy they are with the whole decision. Some years ago, the study came to Europe, in partnership with the BBC's Top Gear. Then there's the ADAC, the German and Austrian equivalent of the AA. Year after year, a Toyota tops their table of the cars that report the fewest faults.

There's also the TUV, the German state authority that conducts their version of road tests. Every car on their roads has to be tested every 3 years, for total roadworthiness. And yes, you've guessed which manufacture's cars come first. Up to 3 years, 5 years, 7 years and 9 years old. That's the official story, from around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

+ 1 for Mondeo. I've had 2 Fords and have nothing but praise for them. Reliable and don't cost the world to keep. Plus they generally handle well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you could get a few grand off an Avensis before it's replaced it's not a bad car....and since you say you know feck all about cars, the "handles like a boat" comments a re irrelevant.

Basically if you're looking for a means of transport rather than a toy to play with that happens to get you around buy an Avensis, but as mentioned get the 2.2 Luna. Has the same engine as the Lexus IS220, not sure if it's detuned for the Avensis.

If you're looking for fun there's probably no diesel car in the D segment that could be earn that title other than the Mazda 6. Petrol = fun, diesel = economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ninty9er wrote: »

Basically if you're looking for a means of transport rather than a toy to play with that happens to get you around buy an Avensis, but as mentioned get the 2.2 Luna. Has the same engine as the Lexus IS220, not sure if it's detuned for the Avensis..

it's tuned to 150bhp in the Avensis, and not noticebly quicker than the 2.0 6 speed.

It's not worth paying €430 as opposed to €290 to tax, and not worth the extra €4k it'll cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Bottom line is that you're the only person who can decide, and as it sounds like it's a company car then even if you get it "wrong" (not that there's any right or wrong decison) you probably won't get too stressed as they're both great cars.

BTW Toyota are widely recognised as having the best manufacturing systems in the world. That's generally acknowledged and they invented many modern manufacturing techniques that other car companies have struggled to adopt. It doesn't actually mean that their cars are the best in the world, but the overall quality would probably be better than a Ford. This probably wouldn't be the only factor thta you'd use to choose.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    BTW Toyota are widely recognised as having the best manufacturing systems in the world. That's generally acknowledged and they invented many modern manufacturing techniques that other car companies have struggled to adopt.

Very true. Books like this are standard texts on some University courses:
    51DFi1k2oSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51PCGwNzixL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

TOYOTA systems are the basis for modern "total quality management (TQM)" and I can vouch for it being on university courses, but not to the extent that a text is required in my case.

Same with ford and the birth of the assembly line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote: »
    Very true. Books like this are standard texts on some University courses:
    51DFi1k2oSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51PCGwNzixL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

I'm sure Fordism is studied in depth too. Either way there is no denying the impact Japanese engineering had on the automotive world in the 70s and 80s, but it does not necessarily hold true that a family saloon from Toyota in 2008 is a better car than that from Ford.

Advertisement