Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oem xp mce

Options
  • 05-07-2008 10:31pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a bought oem xp mce dvd and want to upgrade my pc - which will mean a new mb ram etc.

This original xp was activated by me, any reason why I can't use it on a new upgrade ?

thx

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Hi karltimber,
    yes, unfortunately it will fail the activation.
    Your only hope is ringing the number and tackling the activation software over the phone, which will lead to you being put through to a MS employee.
    (or getting an activation crack)

The activation software works on basic of keys generated by serial numbers of your hardware parts, if you get as many pieces of your old PC into the new computer and give it a shot then.
    Tell them your motherboard died due to a power cut/failure, and you couldnt get a similiar model board, and this is the new board, same cd drive, same hard disk just back from the computer repair shop, etc
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

There should be no reason why it wont work. My friend who is a computer nut has upgraded his computer at least once or twice a year and uses the same OEM copy of Windows XP Pro. If in the off chance it doesnt work call the activation number and say you something broke and you had to replace it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

thx lads,

yeah - don't see why a bought copy has to become useless after an upgrade.

thx

K

will update when complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a bought oem xp mce dvd and want to upgrade my pc - which will mean a new mb ram etc.

This original xp was activated by me, any reason why I can't use it on a new upgrade ?

thx

K

i have same version of XP it will activate for u about 3 times. after that u can ring to activate it. intel robot man will give u an activation code, he also wont keep any record of it so u can do this as many times as u like. ive rang about 20 times myself at least anmd never a problem, just say u reformated your HDD.

Advertisement