Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

boot leaking after crash repair

Options
  • 06-07-2008 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

last year i crashed my car was with a certain insurance company and they insisted i got it fixed at a crash repair place of their choice, I didn't want to but had no choice in the matter. that was last August or so.
    anyhow I've changed insurance companies since and I discovered today a puddle of water in my boot, would the work be guaranteed, have I any comeback on this?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You would have to check if the repair was definitely the cause of the leak, if it is you can then approach your former insurance company. If all this fails you would have to get an independent assessor to inspect the repair to prove it and then get on to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Dont jump to conclusions just yet...it might be something as simple as a loose rear light.

Typically there is a rubber seal around where the rear lights meet the body, if the light is not tightened in place properly water can ingress into the boot area.

So check your light for movement, if theres movement then try and access the bolts and tughten them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is presumably a drain hole somewhere which is not allowing water out. Find this and unblock it.
    However, the source of the water still needs to be found. You could check the boot seal by applying a small amount of vaseline along the rubber seal, closing the boot and re-opening it and see where the vaseline hasn't been disturbed. Also check around the lights etc.

I'm also surprised that you were forced by the insurance company into using one of their repari centres.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I don't think you'd have much comeback a year later.

Do you think it's been leaking all along and you didn't notice (unlikely)?

Sometimes there's a little rubber flap on the ventilation hole that stops water and road spray getting in, check this - it might have fallen off or gotten something caught in it. There's normally one on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lift up all the carpets in the boot, i'd guess a little bung(plug) has popped out, there nearly in every boot, as your driving the water is spraying up from the road through the hole......

have a good root round there and you should see it.....easy fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

kbannon wrote: »
    There is presumably a drain hole somewhere which is not allowing water out. Find this and unblock it.
    However, the source of the water still needs to be found. You could check the boot seal by applying a small amount of vaseline along the rubber seal, closing the boot and re-opening it and see where the vaseline hasn't been disturbed. Also check around the lights etc.

I'm also surprised that you were forced by the insurance company into using one of their repari centres.

thanks to everyone for your help i'll have a good look today. and KB because it was my own fault they said I couldnt go to the repair centre of my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

patrickc wrote: »
    last year i crashed my car was with a certain insurance company and they insisted i got it fixed at a crash repair place of their choice, I didn't want to but had no choice in the matter. that was last August or so.

Just to clarify, you do have a choice. The insurance company will always have their recommendations and they're usually the cheapest places going. However, the insurance company has to respect your wishes when it comes to the choice of bodyshop you want to get the repair done by, provided it's at a reasonable price. If they are insistent that it's unreasonable they'll have to provide proof of why they think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Vertakill wrote: »
    Just to clarify, you do have a choice. The insurance company will always have their recommendations and they're usually the cheapest places going. However, the insurance company has to respect your wishes when it comes to the choice of bodyshop you want to get the repair done by, provided it's at a reasonable price. If they are insistent that it's unreasonable they'll have to provide proof of why they think this.

the garage i wanted to go to was 1500 dearer than their one, what with bulk deals and ill i'm sure. they offered me the cash and said i could put the rest to it if i wanted, defeats the purpose of insurance IMO

Advertisement