Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best area in dublin?

Options
  • 06-07-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

ok, so i've decided to start this thread in response to the thread " Whats the worst area in dublin?".

i'll get it started and i can't choose between:

Howth
    Dun Laoghaire
    Sandyford
    Malahide
    Dalkey

If i had to live somewhere it'd be Dalkey but i'm happy enough Sandyford. What are your opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

tallaght

i was expecting that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

To me, Sandyford is nothing but an industrial estate and a luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

To me, Sandyford is nothing but an industrial estate and a luas stop.

it's funny but true. it's up and coming though and has nice surrounding areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking for myself now, I love Malahide and Portmarnock. If I'd to choose between the two I'd say Portmarnock.

It hasn't been overly developed in recent year's, has a train station on Station Rd. and a half decent bus service.

Its got a wonderful blue flag beach.

Its got two nice hotels, a brillant links golf course and it still retains the feel of a good seaside town.

It hasn't been spoilt by an influx of foreign workers, so I can still go to the local shops and get chatting about local gossip with the same people I've known for the last fifteen years & its the same with the boozer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I really like the drumcondra area I must say. Somewhere I could happily live. Like the idea of a decent selection of shops and restaurants just outside the door while still being close to town

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I liked Portmarnock too, something about it just seemed less touristy.

Anyway the only places I've lived now are Rathmines and The Docklands, have liked both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dataisgod wrote: »
    I really like the drumcondra area I must say. Somewhere I could happily live. Like the idea of a decent selection of shops and restaurants just outside the door while still being close to town

In that case you'd love Ranelagh, it has all of the above, and more of it.

Its also got Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yup Ranelagh is a nice place, some good pubs and tasty places for breakfasts (Hobarts etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

None of the OP's areas are appealing.

I'd choose Ringsend/Sandymount(not the dort part) as they have a real community and are beside the city centre with all the amenties available locally.

I'd choose any other working class\middle class area as well elsewhere but they lack the amount of facilities within walking distance while been so close to the city centre!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

Portmarnock without a doubt. The beach, not overcrowded, clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

City Centre for me..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Foxrock, then Ballsbridge, then Donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

it's a bit like trying to think of Rio Ferdinand's most important contribution to the workd of neuclear science.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Best place to live in Dublin is werever your happiest .Which may or may not be any of the 5 mentioned by OP

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

yes it wud have to be dalkey its fab in the summer i love walking round it and lots of different places to eat and drink really nice atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Dalkey, Ranelagh, Sandymount...all quality areas....Rathgar too.

Sandyford is dull and overpriced.

As for Malahide? Northsiders trying to be Southsiders!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

I love Ranelagh - it is so near town and has so much. I lived there years ago when there weren't as many restaurants in the mid 90's but the pubs were always good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I liked Rathfarnham when I lived there. No so much Terenure, Balally was good too, if just a bit lacking community...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Malahide. Moved here 3 months ago and love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Ranelagh seems to be the popular choice and no wonder...pubs, restaurants and cafes are all great plus it's right beside the city and has a bloody luas line through it!!

Also, good delis and a laser dvd store so plenty of cultured folk around.

Bliss!

Wish I could afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Wish I could afford it!
    So do I...if I won the lotto I would buy a place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

probably anywhere 20 miles outside it and counting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Milltown, Rathgar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Mairt wrote: »
    In that case you'd love Ranelagh, it has all of the above, and more of it.

Its also got Luas.

I've lived in both Drumcondra and Ranelagh and prefer Drumcondra. You can stroll to the Botanic gardens, there's some great pubs and restaurants and a great buzz about the place on match days (I know this would be a reason some people would give for not liking Drumcondra). I always found Ranelagh overpriced and a tad pretentious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sandymount/Ballsbridge would be my favourites inner city areas ;), however, it would take an awful lot for me to move away from Sandycove.

Although we are part of an act of union with Glasthule, I like to think of us as the better, trendier part of Dalkey :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think if i were to choose a place to rent at the moment it would be somewhere like Ranelagh for the reasons everyone has mentioned.

However, if i was older and living the life of leisure, it would be somewhere like Dalkey, Howth etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I loved growing up in Castleknock. Really good area to raise your kids and I'd gladly move back there when I go home.

Failing that then Portmarnock is a top spot, maybe a little far from the city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Malahide. Moved here 3 months ago and love it.

+1...

Was out in Malahide a few weeks back when it was sunny and I swore I was in a completely different country. Beautiful area, clean, scenic and lots of hot chics.

EDIT: When I say hot chics I don't necessarily mean you Clare Bear :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Another vote for Raytown here.....Got a little pricey and far to many apartments now but still quality people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement