Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic Cup - The 4 Nations - 2011 - Lansdowne Road

• 06-07-2008 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

At the risk of getting lashed out of it for posting something that has probably been discussed before (Alves), I thought I would drop this development in the Celtic Cup. Couldnt find another thread on it. We get to host the first one in Lanners.

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=34294-qqqx=1.asp

I think it will be great and will give some real spice to the home nations rivalry. Wonder how long it will be before England claim Celtic roots and try to get involved, i can see this being a major attraction for fans.

Hopefully its not sold as a package to Sky and is kept a bit more national, for TV3 or RTE, BBC etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Isn't it law in this country that home competitive matches are on free to air television?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

At the risk of getting lashed out of it for posting something that has probably been discussed before (Alves), I thought I would drop this development in the Celtic Cup. Couldnt find another thread on it. We get to host the first one in Lanners.

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=34294-qqqx=1.asp

I think it will be great and will give some real spice to the home nations rivalry. Wonder how long it will be before England claim Celtic roots and try to get involved.

I'd say about 1 million years.

This is a daft idea, as a regular ROI match goer I am not all that enthuased about seeing mediocre teams like the North, Walses and Scotland evey two years, espically whne the tourmanent is to be split over 3 months and played on dates when we should be playing away frendlies aginst other Europenan teams to get experience for upcomming qualifing games.

I know friendlies can be boring but playing friendlies dressed up as a 'Celtic Cup' against the same old gross every town yaers is even a worse prospect.

Hopefully its not sold as a package to Sky and is kept a bit more national, for TV3 or RTE, BBC etc.

If the FAs want to make money from it and Sky are interested in it then it will end up on Sky

spockety wrote: »
    Isn't it law in this country that home competitive matches are on free to air television?

I would argue about wheter these games will actually being 'competitive'

This is a daft idea, as a regular ROI match goer I am not all that enthuased about seeing mediocre teams like the North, Walses and Scotland evey two years, espically whne the tourmanent is to be split over 3 months and played on dates when we should be playing away frendlies aginst other Europenan teams to get experience for upcomming qualifing games.

I know friendlies can be boring but playing friendlies dressed up as a 'Celtic Cup' against the same old gross every town yaers is even a worse prospect.

I think that's a bit harsh.. it could end up being a great tournament.

It's a chance for nations who normally stand absolutely no chance of winning any silverware, to win a piece of, er, silverware. Coupled with the fact that we live in each others back yards, it could end up being a great 'bragging rights' contest every couple of years. If this is reflected in how the players approach the tournament, there's cause for optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lets hope the FAI can hold up there side of the bargain, and be able to cough up the extra costs in redeveloping LR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,850 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It's a chance for nations who normally stand absolutely no chance of winning any silverware, to win a piece of, er, silverware. Coupled with the fact that we live in each others back yards, it could end up being a great 'bragging rights' contest every couple of years. If this is reflected in how the players approach the tournament, there's cause for optimism.

I agree completely boss! It doesnt have England so what? It would be a great tournament...sliverware is always welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

This is a daft idea, as a regular ROI match goer I am not all that enthuased about seeing mediocre teams like the North, Walses and Scotland evey two years,

Fifa Rankings....

Scotland..............16
    Norn Iron.............33
    Big Traps Army......41
    Wales..................54

Pot kettle Black??????

I do agree, though, how dare they let wales in, like imagine being outside the top 50!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm really looking forward to it anyway. I'd rather play Scotland in a tournament than the likes of Serbia in a friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think it could be a good venture, playing competitive games will mean more than meaningless non-atmosphere friendlies against the likes of serbia or colombia.
    On a seperate point about friendlies, why do we ALWAYS play them at home? Maybe that explains our dreadful away competitive record, where i think GEORGIA is the last half decent (no, quarter-decent!) team we beat on our travels. Some tricky away ties might toughen us up a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

IOn a seperate point about friendlies, why do we ALWAYS play them at home? Maybe that explains our dreadful away competitive record, where i think GEORGIA is the last half decent (no, quarter-decent!) team we beat on our travels.

We need the revenue from a couple of home friendlies every year.
    And we are one of the few countries who can get 50K attendances for home friendlies, therefore other countries are quite happy to come to Dublin as we can pay them a few quid and still make money from the venture.

But yeah, it probably does help explain our bad competitive away record (though ironically Stauntons best result was probably the 4-1 friendly win in Copenhagen).

• Advertisement

But yeah, it probably does help explain our bad competitive away record (though ironically Stauntons best result was probably the 4-1 friendly win in Copenhagen).

4-0 you mean. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

On a seperate point about friendlies, why do we ALWAYS play them at home? Maybe that explains our dreadful away competitive record, where i think GEORGIA is the last half decent (no, quarter-decent!) team we beat on our travels. Some tricky away ties might toughen us up a little

I thought we hadnt beat an E European team away for 20 years? When did we beat Georgia?

Will be lucky to beat them again, tough team.

Celtic Cup is all good but we really need England involved. And five teams is small for a comp, maybe have a system of rotating invites to the competition to get another two or three teams in. Im sure USA for example would jump at the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

We drew with Georgia away unde Kerr in his first game I believe.

We beat Estonia away in 2002 WC.

Oh and can people actually give the competition a chance before judging it!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

We drew with Georgia away unde Kerr in his first game I believe.

We beat Estonia away in 2002 WC.

Oh and can people actually give the competition a chance before judging it!!!!!

nah we beat Georgia under Kerr

big gary doc with a late header

What value is the silverware if the competition is second rate, the Triple Crown in rugby is silverware but it's third rate after the grand slam and the 6 Nations title (without the grand slam).

Playing the same countries and as a result the same styles of football will get us no where except the possibility of tarnished silverware and these 'bragging rights' you talk of which are worth nothing.
    Heck we are still claiming bragging rights over the English for 1988, and look how that has helped us.

England are not interested in this competition because they are more forward thinking that us and their 'British cousins', that's why they pulled out in the early 80s in the first place.
    Playing in this competition is a backward step if you ask me.
    Fifa Rankings....

Scotland..............16
    Norn Iron.............33
    Big Traps Army......41
    Wales..................54

Pot kettle Black??????

I do agree, though, how dare they let wales in, like imagine being outside the top 50!!!!!

By the time this event comes around I'd expect NI and Scotland to be back in the 40-50 range, ROI may be up a bit and Wales will probably be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Not all that enthused.

It should have been held this year in June, seeing as none of us qualified for Euro 2008. Or in other championship years, there will always be at least three of us left behind.

We need to play more friendlies away from home.

What value is the silverware if the competition is second rate, the Triple Crown in rugby is silverware but it's third rate after the grand slam and the 6 Nations title (without the grand slam).

Two of the teams are ahead of us in the rankings so playing them in a competitive match would be a help.
    Playing the same countries and as a result the same styles of football will get us no where except the possibility of tarnished silverware and these 'bragging rights' you talk of which are worth nothing.

Tarnished silverware? In what way is it tarnished? Surely a competitive prize is worth winning? And bragging rights are important to a lot of fans.
    Heck we are still claiming bragging rights over the English for 1988, and look how that has helped us.

Considering it raised interest in the sport in this country massively I'd say it was a big help.
    England are not interested in this competition because they are more forward thinking that us and their 'British cousins', that's why they pulled out in the early 80s in the first place.

Or was it because they weren't winning it and don't want their usual negative media on their case?

Who cares what the English do? Should we scrap the concept just because they don't want to be involved? I say we should get behind it and try and make it a worthwhile event and thus encourage them to one day get involved.

But no instead we get the usual begrudgery bollocks that is so prevalent on this forum (and in Irish life in general).

Moan, moan, moan. Bash, bash, bash.

Why can't you give something new a chance before dismissing it before it's even begun?

Tarnished silverware? Tarnished mindset more like.

Two of the teams are ahead of us in the rankings so playing them in a competitive match would be a help.

Tarnished silverware? In what way is it tarnished? Surely a competitive prize is worth winning? And bragging rights are important to a lot of fans.

Considering it raised interest in the sport in this country massively I'd say it was a big help.

Or was it because they weren't winning it and don't want their usual negative media on their case?

Who cares what the English do? Should we scrap the concept just because they don't want to be involved? I say we should get behind it and try and make it a worthwhile event and thus encourage them to one day get involved.

But no instead we get the usual begrudgery bollocks that is so prevalent on this forum (and in Irish life in general).

Moan, moan, moan. Bash, bash, bash.

Why can't you give something new a chance before dismissing it before it's even begun?

Tarnished silverware? Tarnished mindset more like.

I too could care less what England do, my opinion is that this tournament will become stale after a few instalments as people will get bored of watching ROI v Wales or NI or Scotland every two years split over two sessions three months apart, actually i am tired of us playing Wales after the Euro 08 qualifying

As 'Jivin Turkey' said, more away games is what we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I reckon it could actually turn out to be an interesting wee diversion in all honesty.
    The under 16's version (Victory shield?) regularly gets high viewing figures, both on TV and i attendance, so i dont see why this cant work...if the SFA and FAI dont balls it up completely...

Im no masive fan of International football to be completely honest, i swore off supporting Ireland for a number of reasons, and while i like to see scotland do well....its no skin off my nose if they dont.
    But id like to see this tourney succeed, especially without England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Maybe we'd get more consistant at beating teams supposedly 'worse' than us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

We need to play more friendlies away from home.
    Nail on head.

Play away friendlies, not some no-mark contrived "Keltik" Cup. Who the fúck cares if we play NI, Scotland and bleedin' Wales?

Who cares if we win, lose or draw this horrible, cynical competition?

PHB wrote: »
    Maybe we'd get more consistant at beating teams supposedly 'worse' than us.

Big swinging mickey.

DesF wrote: »
    Nail on head.

Play away friendlies, not some no-mark contrived "Keltik" Cup. Who the fúck cares if we play NI, Scotland and bleedin' Wales?

Big swinging mickey.

Even if it turns out to be an absolute cracker of a competition, you'll still sit in a corner going "Bah!", won't you?

Even if it turns out to be an absolute cracker of a competition,

lol

you'll still sit in a corner going "Bah!", won't you?

Won't happen.

But, yes. I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Sounds like a terrible idea.

And, what's the point- we learn nothing from these sort of teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Eirebear wrote: »
    I reckon it could actually turn out to be an interesting wee diversion in all honesty.
    The under 16's version (Victory shield?) regularly gets high viewing figures, both on TV and i attendance, so i dont see why this cant work...

You've got to remember that it's new players every year. That's what keep that tournament fresh.

Can see it being a short term success but it will start getting boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The composition of this article appears to be faithful to the overall idea itself (ie it sounds like it was pulled out of someones arse)
    The tournament will consist of six matches.

Two of the games will be played in February, while the remaining six will be played in May, according to the proposals being developed.
    :confused:

Now never mind that it is a terrible idea and a waste of time but I have to ask how exactly will this tournament be arranged logistically alone? Are the suggesting 6 (8?) games to be played in Lansdowne Road over a very short period? :confused: It's all nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pigman II wrote: »
    Now never mind that it is a terrible idea and a waste of time but I have to ask how exactly will this tournament be arranged logistically alone? Are the suggesting 6 (8?) games to be played in Lansdowne Road over a very short period? :confused: It's all nonsense.

Logistically its fine - they would use the already existing dates for Friendlies, which is generally a Saturday in March and a Wednesday&Saturday at the start of June.
    6 games in total, 2 in Spring, 4 in Summer probably played as 3 double headers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As most fans, players and managers will openly admit, international friendlies are a waste of everybody's time.

This tournament, contrived as it is, at least adds a competitive aspect to it so it will interest the fans more, and hopefully motivate the players to perform.

There's little point in flying around Europe to give our b-team a run out against Hungary's b-team, and watch both managers make 12 subs at half time. It's a glorified training session.

This tournament, contrived as it is, at least adds a competitive aspect to it so it will interest the fans more, and hopefully motivate the players to perform.
    lol.
    There's little point in flying around Europe to give our b-team a run out against Hungary's b-team, and watch both managers make 12 subs at half time. It's a glorified training session.

Your point about the 12 subs is a bit off, since FIFA said that there can only be 7 (?) subs per game, but the rest I agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I suppose if the tournament does go ahead Joe lapira will get 6 more caps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Des wrote: »
    Nail on head.

Big swinging mickey.

Playing two teams better than us in the rankings is worth nothing in experience?

If we draw these teams in a future qualifier where will that leave this competition? IIRC FIFA doesnt want teams scheduled for a qualifier to meet in a friendly, there was word the England game in France would be cancelled if they drew in the same group iirc.

Advertisement