Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR Switch for CFL lights

Options
  • 06-07-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

I have 4 pairs of 12w cfls lighting my hall way. There is no natural light entering it so we tend to have the lights on whenever we're home. There are currently two switches, one at either end of the hall. I want to add a PIR light switch to the circuit between the existing switches and the first junction box so I found this at Maplin. Unfortunately the box says not suitable for energy saving lights, does anyone know why? Are there any PIR switches that can be used with CFL's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

alias, there are two considerations, one the lamp and two the PIR.

there are fitting ballast frequency and cold start considerations. On the box that the lamps came in, there should be an indication about how many times the lamp can be switched on and off, PIRs greatly increase the switching on lamps, and ones that can handle lots of switching are the most expensive. (in fact getting high frequency fittings is the best bet, but even then there are cheapo HF fittings that will blow lamps if switched too much) the issue with CFLs is that all the electronics is built into the lamp as the fitting is only a simple pendant.

Then the PIR, it will need to be able to switch an inductive load. The guys in an electrical wholesalers (as listed on the sticky on the front page) will know what to give you, don't bother with maplins for this, I'm not familiar with their stuff, but no contractor would buy general stuff like this from Maplins, just the special gear.

Advertisement