Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More MVNOs to Ireland

• 06-07-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Are there any more MVNOs on the way to Ireland? The likes of BT, Virgin etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Lainey-dee

I don't see it happening soon anyway, the market is fairly saturated as it is! Already people are trying to use less as with the way the economy has gone lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

I think Tesco Mobile will be the extent it's going to go to for the moment.
    Are Digiweb still planning on launching a mobile product? I know they have already started with their 4G mobile broadband, but when are they gonna put their 088 numbers to good use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think more wouldn't be a bad idea but the bottom line is that the networks are still gonna be taking in a huge chunk of the profits so I wouldn't expect any major improvements in pricing much unless these new MVNOs become the Ryanair of phone providers.

Any news on Tescos market share ?

I'n not sure if they have said anything officially, but they are starting to offer pretty good packages...free calls,texts & picture messages to all other tesco mobile customers for €20 per month. Now I just need to move everyone I know to tesco mobile...hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

That'd be an interesting twist :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

it's called Vodafone:rolleyes:

it's called Vodafone:rolleyes:
    I'm confused, they have a stake in Vodafone? Vodafone have a stake in them? Vodafone own them?

random wrote: »
    I'm confused, they have a stake in Vodafone? Vodafone have a stake in them? Vodafone own them?

I was joking but they would be vodafones biggest partner......Vodafone were ment to be buying them a few months ago but instead cpw were half bought buy bustbuy......

didnt best buy get bought by carphone warehouse and not the other way around? can somebody confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

'Best buy' bought 50% of the company, its not going to affect cpw tho still going to have shops here, i think the best buy is to compete with pc world. dont think this has much to do with the OPs question, but probably wont be a new contender for a long time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

davton wrote: »
    'Best buy' bought 50% of the company, its not going to affect cpw tho still going to have shops here, i think the best buy is to compete with pc world. dont think this has much to do with the OPs question, but probably wont be a new contender for a long time
    Best buy plan to open their first store in the uk sometime in 2009. I'd say it will be a while before they make their way here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Actually heard info that Perlico are gonna jump to MVNO status, using Vodafone obviously - tho dunno how thrue that is cause I was told they were aiming for the end of may this year... either delayed or scrapped... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

zacseph wrote: »
    Actually heard info that Perlico are gonna jump to MVNO status, using Vodafone obviously - tho dunno how thrue that is cause I was told they were aiming for the end of may this year... either delayed or scrapped... :p

did vodafone not buy perlico?

edit:yes they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Don't think it would make much difference. Eircom bought Meteor but they still launched an MVNO.

chrislad wrote: »
    Don't think it would make much difference. Eircom bought Meteor but they still launched an MVNO.

Eircom have also launched Eircom Mobile ( http://business.eircom.net/mobile/priceplans/businessplus/ ), where does that fit in? Business arm of Meteor? Would it not make more sense just to have Meteor Business? Or is the company going to split...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

BT will most likely launch an MVNO service. They are doing a mobile service via o2 but not yet an MVNO.

It was part of 3's licensing agreement that they had to take MVNOs. No sign of any yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Eircom have also launched Eircom Mobile ( http://business.eircom.net/mobile/priceplans/businessplus/ ), where does that fit in? Business arm of Meteor? Would it not make more sense just to have Meteor Business? Or is the company going to split...

I know. That's what I said....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

paulm17781 wrote: »
    BT will most likely launch an MVNO service. They are doing a mobile service via o2 but not yet an MVNO.

It was part of 3's licensing agreement that they had to take MVNOs. No sign of any yet.

Where did you hear that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It is a MVNO running on meteor. It is only in existence so that Eircom can flog an "integrated landline and mobile telephone service and bill" to business customers.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    It is a MVNO running on meteor. It is only in existence so that Eircom can flog an "integrated landline and mobile telephone service and bill" to business customers.
    Yah, it's been around for a while but not really a product marketed to the average joe.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    BT will most likely launch an MVNO service.

I dont its an easy market for new comers. Tesco and 3 are good example. Is 7% over 3 years a success? Esb didn't launch a network i bet from this same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Yes the market is already very saturated. I think the general mindset of people is to choose one of the Big Three even if they are more expensive because they can't be bothered to change. If it works don.t fix it.. :-)

flodis79 wrote: »
    Yes the market is already very saturated. I think the general mindset of people is to choose one of the Big Three even if they are more expensive because they can't be bothered to change. If it works don.t fix it.. :-)

Yes i would agree with you. Also the majority of users dont ever switch, dont realise thats its quite easy to do now. I think once they do, and understand whats involved they will switch again if something better comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm not even sure that you could describe eircom's business mobile packages as a MVNO operation at all. They're just an account plan on Meteor, which is afterall a wholly owned part of eircom.

You just get a different customer service number.

The National Consumer Agency could do a campaign explaining how easy it is to switch operators, it would definitely drive up competition.

Aren't the "Big 3" Networks in the correct order....

1...Vodafone

I'm not talking about the Irish market but by company size and worldwide subscribers...

I would't consider 3 an unrelaible network as they are the worlds largest 3G network, much larger than 02.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Hahaha 3 fanboism much :P

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about the Irish market but by company size and worldwide subscribers...

Thats like going to a supermarket that's the size of a warehouse but has no stock, when you can go to a small shop which has what you want! Crap comparission i know, but what does it matter what size they are anywhere else, its here and the consumer service level people are interested in

Advertisement