Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for FM transmitter recommendation...

Options
  • 06-07-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Would like to get hold of a good FM transmitter that would allow me "broadcast" the sound output from my PC to FM radios around the house. I think there are several of these gadgets on the market but I'm interested in get a recommendation for a good one and a retailer to purchase it from.

Thanks!

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I got an Gear4 AirZone FM transmitter and it's the job. Got it in HMV on Grafton Street in Dublin but I'm sure the HMV on Patrick Street in Cork would have it too. Paid about €29 for it but you might find it a little cheaper on line.

I use it in my car, which these things are specially designed for. Not sure how these would work at home - range wise. They don't have the biggest range so might struggle from your PC to reach all around the house...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What's the sound like from that gearoid? I have an iRiver transmitter that's acting up and I'm thinking of replacing it. It was grand when it worked properly but I always felt the sound was a little tinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Seems fine to me. Had Rage Against the Machine pumping yesterday and my rear view mirror was shaking!! So no complaints with the bass or it being tinny!

Holds its reception well too - can drive all the way from Cork to Dublin without having to thinker with it til I hit the Naas Road. And driving around Dublin is no problem either - just keep it to 89.9 (I think) and never have to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

www.dension.com

FM Transmitter €110 halfords Fitted ... Connects to your FM aerial cable! Plays & charges your ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jwb1 wrote: »
    Would like to get hold of a good FM transmitter that would allow me "broadcast" the sound output from my PC to FM radios around the house. I think there are several of these gadgets on the market but I'm interested in get a recommendation for a good one and a retailer to purchase it from.

I was in Lidl a few weeks ago and they had one designed exactly for that, but I don't think they use FM - it could be bluetooth or wireless, which should give a much better sound.

FM transmittors are great for what they are, but it seems a shame to limit yourself to a best possible result of radio quality.

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I got one for the car from Dealextreme that plays music off an SD card or USB key, cheap as chips, sound quality is pretty good, keeping the missus happy anyhow (her CD player was hopping all over the place).

Advertisement